Using bow in cold temperatures should come with advantage and a risk

exeexe

As they say here
https://www.quora.com/Does-the-temperature-affect-the-performance-of-a-longbow

Does the temperature affect the performance of a longbow?

Yes, the temperature can affect the performance of a longbow. Changes in temperature can cause the wood of the bow to expand or contract, affecting its flexibility and overall performance. For example, in colder temperatures, the wood may become stiffer, which can impact the bow's draw weight and speed. Conversely, in warmer temperatures, the wood may become more flexible, potentially altering the bow's performance as well. It's important for archers to be mindful of these potential effects and make adjustments as needed based on the prevailing temperature conditions.

So the bow in cold weather could be stronger but also snap easier.

• Upvote 1

There is some variation in temperature so it still does that.

I think this would be fine to implement but personally it would be low priority to me. I could come up with a dozen things I would rather happen in like 3 mins.

🤔...I don't know...
I think this kind of feels like a level of pedantic detail that I'm not sure would do much good for a video game.
A game doesn't need to try and perfectly simulate every aspect of real-world physics (or at least Newtonian physics).
I mean... bothering to try and account for more or less imperceptible (in most cases to most humans) contraction and expansion of solid materials due to a transition from "indoor" to "outdoor" temperatures... just feels like a bit of a waste of the developer's time to me.  

Besides, I think the breaking threshold that already exists sort of compensates for that sort of thing anyway.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I get the spirit of the idea, and I'm not knocking OP in any way for suggesting it... I just don't think it's really significant enough of a benefit to the gameplay for the dev team to invest time and resources into.

I think we'd be in much greater need of a fluid management system/overhaul... rather than trying to simulate atomic scale changes in the density of objects due to temperature change.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

🤔

I think we'd be in much greater need of a fluid management system/overhaul... rather than trying to simulate atomic scale changes in the density of objects due to temperature change.

Oh im not suggesting a linear approach. More like if it is colder than this then you get a flat risk like 15% for snap and extra strong arrow hits.

Think of how it is with hypothermia. Suddenly after exceeding a limit you have hypothermia (contrary to getting it gradually) and if you freeze more the symptoms of hypothermia stays the same. If you get warmer the symptoms of hypothermia stays the same until it goes away completely.

Edited by exeexe
  • Upvote 1