It's The Little Things

Ansible

I have a whole thread for weird things I find in the game that bother me. This thread is the opposite. What are a few things that are "nice touches". Little things that you like about the game that make you think a lot of thought was put into it. I'll start:

• After harvesting animals, if you "Level Up" while you're harvesting, all previously harvested carcasses that are still around appear to have some extra meat in them to harvest when you go back to them. Which means you can get a little more meat... showing that you're a better harvester.
  • The beauty of the auroras.
  • Being able to use cans to boil water, and taking water out of toilets.
  • The little comments that the PCs make during regular day-to-day activities. They may get tiresome to some, but I personally find Astrid's voice calming, so that's why I always choose Female at the select screen when starting a new run. It's like having a friend there along with you on the lonely Canadian frontier!
  • Upvote 3

Oh! I just thought of another one that's probably my favorite "little thing" - when the devs randomly spawn items inside of crates or boxes, so that when you harvest them, the items appear. It's like Christmas!

• Upvote 1

The different weather patterns and the way the snow falls ..when it's gently snowing I look up to see if one will land on my face,sadly it never has..

The stars twinkling ,and the aurora of course.. 

The music and the timing of it.

There's so much to love about the game..

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

The heart wrenching sound of the moose dying or the cry of the bunnies as you break their necks. Reminds me that taking a life isn't a joke and every bit of life is precious and I should be grateful for them giving their life to sustain mine. 

• Upvote 4
  • Like 2

the fact that the rifle is a Lee Enfield, a rifle issued to the Canadian army since the first Boer war, and how the island is most likely run on military surplus really cements you into the game. the posters in Thomas's Crossing are reminiscent of the WW2 U.S. Buy War Bonds posters and the ones to donate metal as well

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

the sound of a house shaking during a blizzard when you're inside makes the house feel like it has been there for almost 100 years (I live in a house that was built in 1918 and when I jump or even walk it rattles and shakes) and the sound the ferro rod (firestriker) make really does sound like a ferro rod being struck. the hum and buzz of street lamps during an aurora is somewhat calming and comforting.

• Upvote 4

I’m a sucker for ambiance and level design. 
i love it when a game can make you FEEL immersed into its world, and the TLD definitely nails that home for me. 
Walking around places like towns and roads, places that were once bustling with noises and people, now completely dead and silent. really makes me feel desperate and alone. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

The fidelity of the location of sounds. I didn't used to be able to play on headphones, but once I started I was blown away by how accurate the stereo sounds are. I can hear the tiniest sound of crows and be able to find a carcass purley by following the noise. I know exactly where a wolf is once it barks at me. How much of my gameplay is now down to my hearing rather than sight is brilliant. I've never felt that in a game before.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

Hm... I've never noticed! I guess I'm always too busy looking out for those sneaky wolves :D.

The joys of pilgrim 😁.   I'm sure ash is due for some clear weather though,and up top should be a great spot... Just don't fall off the edge😁

• Upvote 1

I reloaded my revolver in the yellow rail car at the Train Loading Area in ML the other day, and the empty casings hit the metal floor with a perfect tinny ringing, crisper and clearer than when they land on wood or even concrete. Spectacular sound design.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2