New wildlife: Canada Goose

GothSkunk

With the addition of Ptarmigans to the game, I think it's high time we added another one of Canada's popular infamous birds.

The Canada Goose:

Also known as a "Cobra Chicken," the Canada Goose spawns wherever it wants, and just waddles around in a given area, occasionally digging into the snow for delicious seeds or dried grass. It announces its presence with its iconic HONK call, which can be heard as far away as a wolf howl.

Behaviour:

The Canada Goose is largely apathetic to your presence. It will become aware of you if you wander close enough. Wander too close however, and the Canada Goose will HISS in warning. Get close enough to touch it, and the Canada Goose will BITE the survivor, dealing 5% current condition damage per incident. If shot by firearm, arrow, or stone, the Canada Goose will take no damage and instead will immediately CHARGE the survivor (If able. If unable to charge the survivor, will simply carry on its regular business). After the charging goose reaches the survivor, an inescapable struggle ensues, much like the struggle with a bear. The result of the struggle is 20% current condition damage, and a new affliction.

Anatidaephobia:

Permanent affliction. Whenever the survivor takes aim at a Canada Goose with any weapon, their hands shake uncontrollably (like they do when suffering from hypothermia risk).

"From the greek words for 'water fowl' and 'fear.' Never classified as an official diagnosis before the collapse. You now know better."

Interaction with other wildlife:

Wolves and bears will both run in terror of a Canada Goose if they step within detection range.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I asked for geese when I first joined the forum so I'd love some...   Plenty of meat and a lot easier to see than ptarmigans..

Great for Xmas dinner too😁

7 minutes ago, GothSkunk said:

If shot by firearm, arrow, or stone, the Canada Goose will take no damage and instead will immediately CHARGE the survivor

The survivor cannot kill a Canada Goose.

Because this suggestion is mostly in jest. I am not sincere with the desire to add Canada Geese into The Long Dark.

But if they were to be added, it should be done in a way that plays into the meme status they have earned on the Internet: That of a fearless, violent apex predator.

• Upvote 1

Oh I see..  more fool me then..  given the detail you added and your response to me I took it as a serious wish..

I'd still like them,and be able to hunt them..I think a flying animal might test our shooting skills .

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...