New animation speculations

BugReportEnthusiast

This is a bit late given how the update is probably a week or so away, but we are indeed getting new animations for harvesting plants and animals with part 4.
I wonder how exactly harvesting animals is going to be handled
Plants are simple, you play a cool looking animation while you wait for the process to finish. But with animals, it's a time accelerated task AND the duration of the task can also vary. So you probably can't make a single animation for it. It has to somehow scale depending on how much time you spend harvesting.

Also, you need different animations depending on if you're using a knife, hatchet, hacksaw or your bare hands to harvest an animal
Also, If we now have an animation for harvesting animals, this probably means we have an animation for removing the hides of animals as well? And if we do, does that mean that carcasses with harvested hides will be left without their skin, since we'd be actually physically removing the skin from the animal?

I feel like this is a very difficult challenge to tackle for the team, and i have no idea how they're going to approach it.
What do you think?

• Upvote 1

I doubt there's animation for every action, maybe like 50%. Are they really going to animate picking up acorns? And I think for those things that are animated like harvesting, they'll just recycle same animation for meat, hide, gut

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

This is a bit late given how the update is probably a week or so away, but we are indeed getting new animations for harvesting plants and animals with part 4.
I wonder how exactly harvesting animals is going to be handled
Plants are simple, you play a cool looking animation while you wait for the process to finish. But with animals, it's a time accelerated task AND the duration of the task can also vary. So you probably can't make a single animation for it. It has to somehow scale depending on how much time you spend harvesting.

Also, you need different animations depending on if you're using a knife, hatchet, hacksaw or your bare hands to harvest an animal
Also, If we now have an animation for harvesting animals, this probably means we have an animation for removing the hides of animals as well? And if we do, does that mean that carcasses with harvested hides will be left without their skin, since we'd be actually physically removing the skin from the animal?

I feel like this is a very difficult challenge to tackle for the team, and i have no idea how they're going to approach it.
What do you think?

I would think there will be a static animation for each animal and tool type (pretty sure I remember a scene in wintermute will plunges the shard knife into a dear thinking something like that) and that the time acceleration will fluctuate based on how much take like the animation will be set for the time it takes to harvest 2.2lbs and it you harvest less it still takes that long but if you harvest more it loops the animation, I doubt they would have added an additional animation for skinning the hide it would just be too much although I think would be cool to see, I hope that they decide to keep it up and hit fishing, sharpening and gun cleaning next