Part 4 - Buried Echoes Special Reward

15 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Miner's helmet and lamp.  The old-fashioned kind that used calcium carbide and water rather than a bulb or LED.

That's a great idea!  Perhaps one like this, which would use our lamp oil.  A little outdated but useful.

image.png.7128c7665bce54ca34fbcc1af5f2ef31.png

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

That's a great idea!  Perhaps one like this, which would use our lamp oil.  A little outdated but useful.

That's exactly the kind I was talking about.  It uses dry calcium carbide chunks in the lower chamber, and water trickles down on to it from the upper chamber.  The chemical reaction produces acetylene which is ignited and produces a bright white flame in the center of the reflector.  You can see the little round cigarette lighter sparker off-center in the middle.

They are rarely encountered these days, but they were a very reliable and long-lasting means of producing light.  I used them back in my caving days, but that was 30 years ago.

Edited by I_eat_only_wolf_meat
clarification
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

That's exactly the kind I was talking about.  It uses dry calcium carbide chunks in the lower chamber, and water trickles down on to it from the upper chamber.

The calcium carbide type seems to have been really popular.  I had trouble finding the "wick-kerosene" type.  The picture above really looks like the CC type but the site said it was kerosene...

If HL did introduce the CC type, they would also need to add the Calcium Carbide as an item.

• Upvote 1