The issue which prevented the Curator’s Rifle from spawning, is not fixed.

dahemac

The v2.23 (120705) Quality of Life Update patch notes say, “Fixed an issue which prevented the Curator's Rifle from spawning.” It is apparently not fixed for me.

Before the most recent update the Curator’s Rifle was not spawning in my current savegame. As far as I know, neither was Barb’s Rifle. I had searched exhaustively for both, repeatedly without success. I had found Vaughn’s Rifle BEFORE the July updates.

I was in Desolation Point headed back to Coastal Highway when this, much appreciated, 2.23 patch launched. So back in Coastal Highway I started searching all the “known” locations for Barb’s Rifle again. And sure enough, it had spawned on “a train log cart near the trailer at the ravine exit,” making me hope that if I returned to Ash Canyon, then the Curator’s Rifle would be waiting for me. It was not.

I searched all the “known” spawn locations, this was the sixth time I think. Then, because this sort of thing makes me feel like I am going mad, I went back to all of them and took screen shots of the empty spaces where the rifle might be. And now I am… again… searching the region more generally in case it has spawned somewhere I do not know about.

So, once again… the issue which prevented the Curator’s Rifle from spawning, is not fixed.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself :D.
43318FFD-9303-4178-A042-99A52A32EF57.jpeg.23c342211020f0e6eb1d8b8b031ce200.jpeg

In all seriousness, though, is this an existing save you’re having the issue on? Maybe start up a new save and see if it spawns there?

^^This^^

I don't have much faith in patches working on existing game files, especially from Hinterland from my experience.  I just started a new game in the Forsaken Airfield (where from my experience since TFTFT's launch last December is mostly what triggers the Curator's-Rifle-failure-to-spawn problem), so I'll update here and report back on my findings.

Edited by DaPepster
  • Upvote 2

So, Hinterland support is amazing. But they confirm that on existing saves.

“Unfortunately when fixing the spawn for the Curator's Rifle, we were not able to apply a patch that would forcefully spawn it in pre-existing games. Because item spawning has already taken place in your current game, the rifle will not be able to re-spawn. Starting a new game will result in the correct generation of this item going forward.”

I do wish they would release an official save-game editor.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a new save after the update as well, and it did fix the issues i've had with finding the new recipes.  However, NO Curator's rifle.  I've scoured the internet for all current known spawn locations, and I searched those through with no luck.  So if anyone here knows of some rare outside the norm spawn locales for that rifle.... Please forward those my way!

On 10/8/2023 at 3:17 PM, Semple Fi said:

I just started a new save after the update as well, and it did fix the issues i've had with finding the new recipes.  However, NO Curator's rifle.  I've scoured the internet for all current known spawn locations, and I searched those through with no luck.  So if anyone here knows of some rare outside the norm spawn locales for that rifle.... Please forward those my way!

There are five locations.
<spoiler>

• in a shallow cave on top of a pinnacle of rock that you access by tightrope walking a fallen tree just NNW of the West end of the Runaway Bridge, accessed through a crawl-way.
  • in the High Meadow over a rise and down a slope up against an overhang atop the cliff, close to the Vista, close to the West end of the High Meadow bridge.
  • behind a tree just by Wolf’s Jaw Overlook, just west of the Vista up against the cliff face
  • tucked behind a shoulder of rock right of the path, on the left end of a ledge overlooking the Long Falls ravine, quite near a pointing arrow sign
  • at the top of Long Falls in the mining Camp/Gold Mine ravine.

</spoiler>

If you are sure, I took a screen shot of each one to be sure, that it has not spawned, then I think you had best use a savegame editor and put it into your inventory. Once the region has generated, when you first enter it, if the rifle does not spawn, it cannot be forced to spawn in that savegame.

I am surprised though that it is not fixed for you. I sympathize though. Slow walking the search for an item, I did it seven times, kinda renders the joy out of the game.

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2023 at 3:42 PM, dahemac said:

I am surprised though that it is not fixed for you. I sympathize though. Slow walking the search for an item, I did it seven times, kinda renders the joy out of the game.

Whelp I will be making another run through with a couple of those locations.  I may not have REALLY looked behind the trees.  
always worth a second go around.  

thanks!!!