Rip and Tear: A Community Challenge

conanjaguar

A community challenge inspired by @FaT McMarlin. Vanilla Stalker difficulty is preferred, but any difficulty (even custom settings) is legal, as long as animal spawns are no higher or lower than Stalker settings. 

The goal is to score as many points as you can in a single run in 30 game days. There is no “real life” time limit.

Here’s how you score points:

• +1 point per bunny or ptarmigan shot with any weapon
  • +2 points per bunny or ptarmigan killed The True Way (with rocks)
  • +2 points per deer killed
  • +5 points per wolf shot
  • +10 points per wolf killed in a struggle (glory kill)
  • +20 points per bear/moose killed
  • -1 point each time a wolf kills a bunny that you could have (and didn’t) kill; -2 points for each deer, so don’t use bunnies and deer to protect yourself.
  • -5 points for each time a bear or moose mauls you

A few rules: 

• If a bear/wolf/moose notices you, you must either shoot it or take your beating. Running away is disgraceful to the name of Doom!
  • If you are mauled, there are no restrictions on weapons you may use.
  • Y’know that beautiful, calm, relaxing in-game soundtrack? The thing so many love about this game? Pah! It is disgraceful to the name of Doom! Turn your music volume to 0 and listen to heavy metal instead!!
  • Cosmetic mods or mods that don’t impact animals or weapons are allowed. +10 bonus points if you can find a Doom mod.

I’ll be sharing my progress in this thread (as usual ;)) and I encourage others to do so as well, but it’s not mandatory.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

A community challenge inspired by @FaT McMarlin. Vanilla Stalker difficulty is preferred, but any difficulty (even custom settings) is legal, as long as animal spawns are no higher or lower than Stalker settings. 

The goal is to score as many points as you can in a single run in 30 game days. There is no “real life” time limit.

Here’s how you score points:

• +1 point per bunny or ptarmigan shot with any weapon
  • +2 points per bunny or ptarmigan killed The True Way (with rocks)
  • +2 points per deer killed
  • +5 points per wolf shot
  • +10 points per wolf killed in a struggle (glory kill)
  • +20 points per bear/moose killed
  • -1 point each time a wolf kills a bunny that you could have (and didn’t) kill; -2 points for each deer, so don’t use bunnies and deer to protect yourself.
  • -5 points for each time a bear or moose mauls you

A few rules: 

• If a bear/wolf/moose notices you, you must either shoot it or take your beating. Running away is disgraceful to the name of Doom!
  • If you are mauled, there are no restrictions on weapons you may use.
  • Y’know that beautiful, calm, relaxing in-game soundtrack? The thing so many love about this game? Pah! It is disgraceful to the name of Doom! Turn your music volume to 0 and listen to heavy metal instead!!
  • Cosmetic mods or mods that don’t impact animals or weapons are allowed. +10 bonus points if you can find a Doom mod.

I’ll be sharing my progress in this thread (as usual ;)) and I encourage others to do so as well, but it’s not mandatory.

Ooh now we're keeping score? Do we need to start a new run? Or are we allowed to post an image with the death totals so far and keep going? I love that there's no cheese allowed. I would even go so far as to add no campfires for bears. No flare guns. I'll happily drop mine. Is there a bonus for harvesting the kill or is this just flat out slaughter? Every single living creature in game is in danger as of this moment😂😂😂😂. Except the bunnies at the bunny memorial for the snare badge I created, they are safe.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@FaT McMarlin

You can begin the challenge in an existing run, just take note of how many of each animal you’ve already killed.

No campfires for protection and no flare guns is a good rule, if it doesn’t go BANG or STAB or TWANG, you can’t use it :).

To prove your kill, you must at least harvest the hide.

I don't know if I'll have much time today to get started. But I'll post a pic of my kill totals before I get started so we know where my "0" point is, and my starting and ending days. I'm in DP I believe, so at least my culling will spread from edge to where ever I end up.

One point of mercy: can I hold on to my flare gun until I'm back at my main base, I don't really want to leave it in a region I don't often visit. I'll include screen shots of flare gun condition and ammo totals with my proof of kills or any other way to prove I didn't use the "not today bear" tool. Fare play if you've already dropped yours or someone else has dropped it wherever they were to get started. I'll happily go with whatever has already been done by anyone else accepting the challenge.

This is going to be epic.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Ptarmigans aren't in the stats page....... How do you count them in?

Since each carry 4 down, I think you'd have to show the feathers. I'm not going to bother. To many bears, to many wolves. Deer everywhere even though they are somewhat not worth the time to harvest. It's been 2 hours real time for me. I think I'm up to 6 deer, 3 wolves, 2 bear. Got pictures to upload and double check, but I'm off too a good start I think for the first 2 in game days with a blizzard.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Since each carry 4 down, I think you'd have to show the feathers. I'm not going to bother. To many bears, to many wolves. Deer everywhere even though they are somewhat not worth the time to harvest. It's been 2 hours real time for me. I think I'm up to 6 deer, 3 wolves, 2 bear. Got pictures to upload and double check, but I'm off too a good start I think for the first 2 in game days with a blizzard.

They do take a long time to harvest ....   

That's pretty good going...    

4:days in hrv and all I saw was 1 bear and a few wolves...   Heard plenty of birds but saw none...   

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

They do take a long time to harvest ....   

That's pretty good going...    

4:days in hrv and all I saw was 1 bear and a few wolves...   Heard plenty of birds but saw none...   

I'm hoping I can spend enough time for the PV bears to respawn so it's more seamless. Just one location to the next leaving a body or two everywhere I go. ML being untouched as it is should have full wildlife. Make a giant circle from Ravine to trappers and back to the dam. After that I don't know where I'll head. Maybe BRP or TWM. I hesitate with the TW because the hides. If it was just pure numbers I'd go there instantly. 

1 minute ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I'm hoping I can spend enough time for the PV bears to respawn so it's more seamless. Just one location to the next leaving a body or two everywhere I go. ML being untouched as it is should have full wildlife. Make a giant circle from Ravine to trappers and back to the dam. After that I don't know where I'll head. Maybe BRP or TWM. I hesitate with the TW because the hides. If it was just pure numbers I'd go there instantly. 

Well I know you're not a fan but what about going through ml,to forlorn and into broken railroad?   Forlorn has two bears on the way through,plus the wolves and brr is swarming with wolves.. plus the bear and possible moose..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

*whistles* I give up, not even I can kill that much that quickly :D.

Remember, the points total will be less cause I'm on Voyager and it's easier. But that's just after a few hours. I just stopped my play session:49a66464-28e7-40a0-9047-52ec117c7fe7.thumb.png.c5c72ecd12fa4a01aaefcd6ef71a3789.png

6afb27ee-5aab-4dcb-a32f-a5407fe2edfe.thumb.png.d00abd45f0d7c61811f567228db3ff96.png

Still only found 2 bears. My deer total is one off the number. I don't have the time to get all the hides uploaded and posted but the wolf total is real, the bear are solid. Deer are the only category where I couldn't get all the hides.

I'm on day 6 of the challenge. You've got plenty of time to get to a good hunting ground and get it done!! I believe in you bro!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well I know you're not a fan but what about going through ml,to forlorn and into broken railroad?   Forlorn has two bears on the way through,plus the wolves and brr is swarming with wolves.. plus the bear and possible moose..

I would go FM but I'm scent hunting and I'm not going to get myself trapped on the ice in a deadly storm. I'm still to scared of FM. ML and MT will have to do. If I go through FM it will be a short cut to BR for the wolves. Wolves are where I think I'm going to get most of my points. They make it easy most of the time.

3 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I would go FM but I'm scent hunting and I'm not going to get myself trapped on the ice in a deadly storm. I'm still to scared of FM. ML and MT will have to do. If I go through FM it will be a short cut to BR for the wolves. Wolves are where I think I'm going to get most of my points. They make it easy most of the time.

I meant just pass through forlorn anyway.. there's usually wolves on the tracks  and both bears cross it ..  but Milton has its fair share too.

Edited by Leeanda

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I meant just pass through forlorn anyway.. there's usually wolves on them and both bears cross it ..  but Milton has its fair share too.

My only issue is I don't know the regions very well and the spawn areas in ML or MT. I'm just going in with full scent and get what comes. I know the bear spawn and I've got one moose I know of in MT which is why I'm headed that way.  Milton basin has a 3 wolves and 5 billion deer, so I'll possibly head out that way after I cull ML and MT proper and move towards BR. FM might get hunted after BR cause why not. I think I'll be close enough to the 30 day challenge limit that I can afford to just run the tracks and get whatever is there.

5 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

My only issue is I don't know the regions very well and the spawn areas in ML or MT. I'm just going in with full scent and get what comes. I know the bear spawn and I've got one moose I know of in MT which is why I'm headed that way.  Milton basin has a 3 wolves and 5 billion deer, so I'll possibly head out that way after I cull ML and MT proper and move towards BR. FM might get hunted after BR cause why not. I think I'll be close enough to the 30 day challenge limit that I can afford to just run the tracks and get whatever is there.

Well running around with a bag full of meat will certainly attract something..🙂.   

All those hides and you'll have carpets in every base 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well running around with a bag full of meat will certainly attract something..🙂.   

All those hides and you'll have carpets in every base 😁

😂😂😂☠️☠️☠️☠️ Always does. Favorite part of scent hunting. You don't have to do much at all lol.

Edited by FaT McMarlin

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Ringing the dinner bell more like..😁.   So far they're the dinner🙂

Kinda lol I only grab a few pounds from each so the harvest time is 30 min for meat and hide. It's not much meat, but it will keep me fed.

With the rules in place, all it's going to take is a surprise bear to knock the points total down. No fires allowed, flare guns are outlawed, running is forbidden. Kill or be killed. Tis the way of Rip and Tear. Honor to the Doom Slayer. All hail death incarnate. 😂😂😂