Rats

FlamingFuball

I think rats would be a good animal to add to survival to counteract the buffs given to the player in recent updates. Here's the general overview of how I imagine them working:

If you leave food in or near a man-made shelter, a pack of rats will find their way to it after a few days. Once a shelter is infested with rats, food not securely stored will start disappearing, clothing not on you or in your pack will deteriorate faster as the rodents use it for nesting material, and sleeping in the area has a chance to give you Hantavirus, a dangerous disease caused breathing air exposed to rodent feces (could just called "respiratory virus" in game).

Rats presence would be indicated by droppings left behind where food was eaten in containers and on the ground. You could eliminate a pack of rats by hunting them like rabbits at night when they emerge from their nests, or by setting snares. Once a pack is elminated, more rats won't be back for a long while. A dead rat would provide a measly amount of meat, and their pelts could maybe be used for socks or something like that, since that slot still has no animal fur accessories.

I think rats would make it so that players would have to actually mind their food storage and build caches, rather than just dropping meat outside in the snow to preserve it, and would give players a reason to make snares to protect their bases against rats while they're away. 

Thoughts?

Edited by FlamingFuball
  • Upvote 2

If the geomagnetic phenomena made them extremely deadly in swarms, I would fully support this idea. If you ever played Plague Tales: Innocence, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. It would certainly add more of a horror feel to the game. Allow us to hunt them in small numbers. Getting attacked causes infection risk. Create a new affliction as a result of eating them, along with a chance of food poisoning and/or intestinal parasites. Make their swarms deadly in dark areas. Yes, please.

Edited by Stranzua

On 7/26/2023 at 9:08 PM, hozz1235 said:

Yum!

undefined

They look gross.   Why wouldn't they cut the inedible parts off  first?    Sure they probably taste disgusting anyway but why make them look the same..

Not even in a game ....yuck...🤮

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Leeanda said:

They look gross.   Why wouldn't they cut the inedible parts off  first?    Sure they probably taste disgusting anyway but why make them look the same..

Not even in a game ....yuck...🤮

Didn't you know the tail is the best part?! ;)