Darkness after latest update is overwhelming ...

11 minutes ago, xanna said:

@Asinine - if you use the slider in the Brightness menu in TLD, does it respond? (I'm trying to ascertain if it's the same thing I was experiencing, or something different).

I actually thought I knew this was a slider, but I do not see it now.

1 hour ago, Asinine said:

I had googled it btw, but everyone's searches are personalised... ;)

I absolutely wasn't having a dig, btw, just expressing my confidence that it'd be out there somewhere ☺️

1 hour ago, Asinine said:

I actually thought I knew this was a slider, but I do not see it now.

It doesn't show up in the options menu whilst you have a game loaded. If you quit out of your game it will be there.
I didn't find that slider for about 6 months lol

4 minutes ago, xanna said:

I absolutely wasn't having a dig, btw, just expressing my confidence that it'd be out there somewhere ☺️

It doesn't show up in the options menu whilst you have a game loaded. If you quit out of your game it will be there.
I didn't find that slider for about 6 months lol

No prob. I didn't take it as as a dig... I actually had not thought about looking for it outside of an in-game option on the main menu. I'll check it out.

Hmm, I just found that the cave system near Spruce Falls Bridge was perhaps too well lit! :D 
20230701194301_1.thumb.jpg.a128d5e7a2b295937b699194c22787a2.jpg20230701194351_1.thumb.jpg.7a82ac0c531a1f7e86343da90c906731.jpg20230701194411_1.thumb.jpg.2917ee6525195e9f3eaebeec42840c10.jpg20230701194615_1.thumb.jpg.c6345ca5885d134a1e0ced2c890a1de2.jpg
It feels a bit wrong to me to not have to use even a torch at all to make it through.  🤔

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Granted this is only one cave, and many of them have different light levels... but this one feels like perhaps there's a bit too much "natural light" especially for being so late in the day.

• Upvote 2

@xannamight be onto something with -disable-postprocess, or better removing it. Cycling through several PostFX setting might help. Also maybe look for any residual launch flags from earlier versions relating to glcore. Also looking into your driver stack (kernel drivers, mesa) might be helpful. As a last resort: playing TLD via Proton has fixed many Linux-related issues in the past (I know, I never liked that, too 🙄)

In general I feel like lighting on linux especially has been wonky ever since TLD got HDR support on consoles. I can remember several threads complaining about rooms being too dark in the past, as this really keeps coming up time and again (a pattern which @ManicManiac indeed accurately identified), and at the same time people keep complaining about snow blindness ever since.

What would really help would be notice from Hinterland if darker interiors are indeed intended - meaning they are a design choice - or if this indeed is a bug for some. For example, on Mac (M1, no launch flags), the one location I found significantly darker (so far ...) is the Carter Hydro Dam, while everything else seems (mostly?) the same.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Stuffed Plush Chainsaw said:

Also maybe look for any residual launch flags from earlier versions relating to glcore.

On my setup at the moment, TLD crashes unless I --force-glcore 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, xanna said:

On my setup at the moment, TLD crashes unless I --force-glcore 🤷‍♂️

I haven't fiddled with Linux systems as Desktop OS for a while. But I imagine I remember that the standard GL API for TLD on Linux now is Vulkan (since Unity 2021-something?). If that is accurate, this might point to some problem with the driver stack not properly implementing Vulkan support. Might be worth looking into what vulkaninfo conjures up running in a terminal with X/wayland context.

In general it's really hard to diagnose gaming stuff on Linux systems since (as you probably are aware) Linux really is a broad umbrella term for a wild bunch of rogue guerilla Operating Systems (aka distributions) that use some version of the Linux kernel and mostly somewhat common userspace tools.

Edit: I really wouldn't be surprised if the openGL implementation of TLD is maintained/tested rather sparsely as openGL clearly is on the way out pretty much everywhere.

Edited by Stuffed Plush Chainsaw
  • Upvote 1

@xanna and @Stuffed Plush Chainsaw
I hadn't considered that there may be a platform specific issue.  
If that seems to be the case, definitely create tickets with debug screenshots... that way Hinterland can track and assess, if there's something amiss on an individual platform, then I'm sure they'd want to bring that into parity with the other platforms versions.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 2