Crampons vs Improvised Crampons

Toki1666

It's probably just RNG being RNG, but ever since switching to the crampons found in AC Gold Mine, which are supposed to be an upgrade over the improvised ones, I seem to be getting far more sprains. The improvised ones were so good that I was still carrying 4 of the first 6 painkillers I ever found, all the way to day 128. I know the sprain reduction isn't the main attraction of said accessory, but something feels slightly out of balance with them, as far as sprains and conserving supplies that go to them.

I agree and have the exact same feeling : improvised crampons offer a better sprain-protection than the AC crampons (which I also found on TWM Summit in my current run by the way). Far less sprains, and a durability that's about the same as the "true" crampons.

• Upvote 1

I just want to make sure that I'm not just imagining things before I make a whole support ticket. I don't want them to take time away from bug testing the new update, if it's just the dice rolls being unkind to me. So I figured I'd get a new discussion rolling, give the forums a little stimulation. But yes, as it stands so far for me, the improvised crampons have "felt" much better. I could literally walk up like 80° slopes over encumbered and basically never get a sprain, I went so long without one that it legit scared me when it happened again. It basically makes it so you keep the improvised on most of the time, and then switch to the "upgraded" or "real" ones for rope climbing, which most times aren't worth carrying or going back for tbh. I'm mad that I left my improvised ones over in TWM or AC now.

I havent actually used the improvised ones bcoz i tend to go to the gold mine as soon as possible  (mostly on day 10 after i craft my bow and tools) to get the backpack. 

I was confused a lot of times if the bonus actually works - i mean i know it works on the ropes and on ice but on slopes i get sprains as much as without them. I always laughed when that happened. I come to a slope, put crampons on , go up the slope, bang ankle, bang wrist. EVERY TIME :P 

As soon as the FPS options get fixed on series S I'll get back to testing it further, going from 60 to being locked down at 30 is giving massive migraines. Hopefully that hotfix hits sooner than later, I don't like being away from a save for too long.

• 7 months later...

I was about to post this same topic and its now Feb. 2024. I'm currently playing a 250+ day Stalker run and I was using the improvised crampons this whole time. After finally reaching the summit and getting the crampons, the crampons gave me more sprains in a few days than my previous 250+ days combined. I literally switched back to the improvised crampons because they are definitely better.  100%, at least for me.