Cabin Fever

swissheart

Anyone else feeling feverish?

The TLD weather has been driving me crazy.. Most nights are quiet but as soon as my character wakes up, it begins to storm outside, as if on schedule, and it doesn't stop for hours at a time. Most days, I will be lucky to get 2-4 uninterrupted hours to explore the outdoors. I normally wouldn't get upset by this but after all this is an exploration game, not a sleeping simulator. :roll:

What is your favorite way to pass the time during a storm?

I sometimes feel like this as well. It is in part because of the way the weather seems to work. Waking up/ going inside or outside seems to trigger the weather system to see if the weather needs to change. So if the weather is fine when you go to sleep, you stand a good chance to have it change when you wake up the next morning. This is just how I "feel" it works, based on my personal experience. I could be completely wrong.

My way to wait out a storm is to sleep for 1 hour at a time. This way the storm usually is over in 1-3 hours. Note that it also happens often that you don't notice a change in the sound of the wind (but there is a chance, it's just very hard to notice) but the blizzard has ended none the less. It's just very windy and this will usually die down within an hour if you go outside.

I sometimes feel like this as well. It is in part because of the way the weather seems to work. Waking up/ going inside or outside seems to trigger the weather system to see if the weather needs to change. So if the weather is fine when you go to sleep, you stand a good chance to have it change when you wake up the next morning. This is just how I "feel" it works, based on my personal experience. I could be completely wrong.

Somehow I share this feeling. Waking up and entering or exiting a building often seems to cause weather changes for me.

What is your favorite way to pass the time during a storm?

You might try to repair tools or clothes, if it's necessary. Or craft some new clothes/melt snow if your base includes a crafting table or stove. Unfortunately, if you're e.g. in Jackrabbit Island and have neither stove nor crafting table available, there's hardly anything to do.

I really wish there was. I would prefer pretty much everything over returning to bed just to kill time.

Some side activity like reading a book to learn a new crafting recipe or even knitting a scarf/sweater/wool socks would be great.

I would perform all the other possible actions and use sleep as my last resort. There is just so much time spent inside and I run out of things I can do very quickly. Unfortunately the latest update didn't bring any new crafting possibilities but I hope the next one will :)

The thing is, I'm 99% certain a blizzards lasts much longer if you don't sleep for 1 hour at a time. If a blizzard starts, I sleep for 1 hour and check if the blizzard has stopped. If not I repeat until the weather is clear. This way a blizzard usually lasts 2-3 hours. Sometimes only 1 and on a very rare occasion 3+ hours.

If I start doing other things like crafting, harvesting old clothes/ newpapers, repairing clothes/ tools, cooking, melting/boiling, the blizzard usually lasts much longer than 3 hours. So if I want to go out, I use my sleep method. If I don't want to go out I will do whatever needs doing/ I want to do.

there are snow storms and then there are blizzards... can't go out for 5 hours thats not a big deal, wait until you have the 14 hour blizzard that takes sandpaper to your clothes, I got stuck in the camp office with two of those with only a 4 hour break inbetween. But there are always things to do, you can craft, repair or harvest goods.... Im sure eventually you will be using your indoor time reading books(before you burn them) so you can learn how to craft stuff

Playing on voyager I routinely am faced with days where there is no daylight that isn't also a blizzard.

I do what I'd do in real life when that happens. I check the doors to see if the building is sheltering me so I can use the time to gather wood (I think I currently have >120 pieces of fir) by hand. The times I can't find shelter by the door, I craft items, I repair items, etc.

And for those times when I don't have anything to do? I leave the game running and pick up a book to read, which again is what I'd do in a blizzard.

The thing is, I'm 99% certain a blizzards lasts much longer if you don't sleep for 1 hour at a time. If a blizzard starts, I sleep for 1 hour and check if the blizzard has stopped. If not I repeat until the weather is clear. This way a blizzard usually lasts 2-3 hours. Sometimes only 1 and on a very rare occasion 3+ hours.

If I start doing other things like crafting, harvesting old clothes/ newpapers, repairing clothes/ tools, cooking, melting/boiling, the blizzard usually lasts much longer than 3 hours. So if I want to go out, I use my sleep method. If I don't want to go out I will do whatever needs doing/ I want to do.

I ve been little impatient and sleeping 2-4 hours at a time. I ll change that :]

I was playing a little yesterday and the weather was extra weird. It happened 3 times that I was outside, then came strong winds, forcing me to look for shelter. Once i was inside it was completely silent so I went out right away to check out the weather and it was completely different than 2 seconds ago. It just likes to mess with me..

I started doing something else. While I am staying at a house that has a little corner where I can hide from winds, I go there to forage wood. If I see the wind change direction, I go to the other side of the house while I am also checking If my clothing is still ok. If the condition of the clothing starts to go down, then I go inside. If I forage only for short periods at a time, I can save my clothing. Beats sleeping.

Sometimes I feel like while the weather is trying to decide what to be, i can start foraging wood and it decides not to storm just yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe chairs can be made into "rest" locations that let you read for an hour of game time. Sit down and read a book before you throw it in the fire.

Click on the chair to sit down. If you have a book a page of text comes up, and X minutes of game time pass BUT the game pauses. Click to exit and the game resumes with that much time elapsed. Click on "turn page" and another X minutes go by.

Text might be actual survival tips, excerpts from literature (with permission, of course), or original content. There might even be "journals" to read the game story, or get clues about bunker locations or region transitions.

If text is too much bother, make it a coffee table book with pictures of beautiful Canadian landscapes, or animal photos, or concept art from the game.

Maybe chairs can be made into "rest" locations that let you read for an hour of game time. Sit down and read a book before you throw it in the fire.

Click on the chair to sit down. If you have a book a page of text comes up, and X minutes of game time pass BUT the game pauses. Click to exit and the game resumes with that much time elapsed. Click on "turn page" and another X minutes go by.

Text might be actual survival tips, excerpts from literature (with permission, of course), or original content. There might even be "journals" to read the game story, or get clues about bunker locations or region transitions.

If text is too much bother, make it a coffee table book with pictures of beautiful Canadian landscapes, or animal photos, or concept art from the game.

:idea: This is a really good idea. Hope someone takes notice. :idea:

in the long run it pays off to better manage time. If you have other things to do always leave harvesting and repair for later and do it only

a) when in a shelter and the weater is bad as described

or

b) if some hours are left before going to sleep or in the morning when its still dark

and if that's not possible, harvest wood

in the long run it pays off to better manage time. If you have other things to do always leave harvesting and repair for later and do it only

a) when in a shelter and the weater is bad as described

or

b) if some hours are left before going to sleep or in the morning when its still dark

and if that's not possible, harvest wood

True. But I like the option to manage time poorly as well. Also, if there ever is a morale factor added to the game then reading a book could become a good investment of time.

This is why I love early access so much. I get to watch the game change over time. :D

Archived