Acorns - Have I missed something?

peteloud

On my Interloper runs i dont bother with them - yest they give about half of what coffee gives in therms of fatique but dont give the buff. 

On NOGOA run a few of them saved me from loosing health permanently - you cant starve on NOGOA....

I think that the purpouse of them will be revealed in next updates with the advanced food recipes maybe.

Collect enough acorns to make Large Portions.  use that too eat, or grind for "acorn tea".  Large portions only take a couple minutes after the initial small portion is made.   -- Comes in handy on Loper, and just a perf for every other mode. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SirSharper said:

Collect enough acorns to make Large Portions.  use that too eat, or grind for "acorn tea".  Large portions only take a couple minutes after the initial small portion is made.   -- Comes in handy on Loper, and just a perf for every other mode. 

It is much easier to make ordinary coffee or to kill a deer or rabbit.  The hassle of carrying a heavy hammer halfway across Great Bear and collecting, cooking, cracking, grinding etc. is very bad use of time when similar results can be obtained with little effort.  It makes me think of that useless aurora flashlight.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, peteloud said:

It is much easier to make ordinary coffee or to kill a deer or rabbit.  The hassle of carrying a heavy hammer halfway across Great Bear and collecting, cooking, cracking, grinding etc. is very bad use of time when similar results can be obtained with little effort.  It makes me think of that useless aurora flashlight.

Yup.  I usually have a home base with a hammer. i bring the acorns there and make it in my free time.  but you are right, not entirely worth it. 

I'm not sure I have any coffee left on my long 'loper run. Maybe some stashed around, I don't remember. Acorns have been a great addition. I also tend to do "prep sessions" when I'm essentially just killing some time, waiting out a blizzard or whatever. Useful as food, much like cattail stalks, which is mainly what I hoard them for.

BTW, what's the decay rate? I just realized I haven't paid attention to that. (actually haven't played in a while)

I find cleaning them to be a great way to kill time while my water is boiling, and cooking them (in small portions) is also handy to level up cooking skill. Other than that I just stockpiled them for later use and ate a few when needed a few calories to not lose my well fed till I got back to my lair.

I’m expecting them to be mixable with meat or rosehips or oil to make some handmade no-smell long-lasting bars that ‘meet all technical requirements to be considered food’ - or sg else after a future update.

I’m missing the opportunity to retain its cooking water for tanning skins into leather though.(which has been done irl for millennia - eating them and especially coffee I haven’t heard of till now) Finally we could use all those buckets;-)

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1