V.212 First Thoughts and Video

FoneBoneJay

V .212 First Thoughts

Definitely enjoying the new and varied wolves.

They are for sure not playing the same old game of I'm a robot. Still exhibiting AI like behavior though. When they go on autopilot such as when they chase prey, doesn't appear they have any interest in you or a changing situation. Autopilot all the way. So some room for improvement.

I do not like the new harvest timesink. Totally a great idea to have you learn more about what you are harvesting but the inability to click through it faster and make you wait every-time is the same complaint that searching through cupboards is. Come on guys you know that is not a player favorite why duplicate something players dont like?

Also really like the time of day versus wrist watch indicator. I feel less like I'm cheating looking at metrics with it like this.

Camp office, what did you guys do in there? I'm having a hunny did you change your hair? moment on the first floor. It looks different but I can't put my finger on it and its driving me nuts.

[bBvideo 560,340:qbked9l8]

[/bBvideo]

Wolves are now prowling along like nasty wolves and not walking like tourists looking for something to take photographs of. Good. Also saw a wolf going after a bunny - first in a trot, then falling into a run. Nice.

Went to chase a wolf off a deer carcass when something strange happened: right mouse click made a shot go off instead of taking aim. Hmmm... maybe my mouse is somehow broken? Anyway, wolf runs off, other wolves in the vicinity, too. Not very far, though. I harvest the meat and return the next day for guts and leather. But the deer has disappeared over night. Maybe a new mechanic.

Then there is birdsong! It's nice, but strangely takes away something from the grim atmosphere. It's like, "hey, Spring is coming! Things can't be so bad!" - Not sure whether I like it or not. Maybe birds should only sing when no wolves are anywhere near?

Next thing, I go fishing - the line does not snap, and I catch a lot of fish, getting the "It was THIS big" achievement fairly quickly. Cook most of it and do not lose so heavily in calories. Fishing now seems to be a viable option.

The UI, almost forgot. Font and picture size has decreased, but it does not disturb me. Everything seems smoother now. Nice.

Go to harvest some lichen in a "hot" spot and nearly get a heart attack when I can't pick it up but have to harvest with a timer. Saw that in the changelog but forgot it in the heat of the moment. But fair enough, harvesting this stuff should take a minute.

Good stuff so far! Thanks! Looking forward to the mine, but now it's bedtime... ;)

Haven't tested the new wolf AI enough to comment on that yet, but I like quite a few rather tiny additions of the latest patch very much. :)

Bird songs, hollow trees (which offer protection from wind chill) and a birch forest added in PV in particular - I'm very much into these details. Only wish birch bark was harvestable.^^

In my opinion, the Devs have also done a great job on the abandonned mine transition map, it's way more widespread and winding than I would ever have expected it to be. Was a bit afraid I might get lost inside when I discovered everything for the first time.^^ Btw, nice idea to (indirectly) use cerosine as a limitation factor for travelling.

Haven't been to the new ravine yet but that's definitely going to be my next excursion destination.

Also love the new radio tower shack interior with bed and crafting table. I'm going to make it one of my side bases in future runs for sure. It's a little dark inside, but I guess nothing is perfect. ;)

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the item order in the new crafting UI. To be precise, I find it a bit unfortunate that you have to click through all 10 pages/items in order to craft Old man's beard Wound dressing. I would very much prefer those bandages not to be on the last position. You're going to craft much more of these than bearskin bedrolls or wolfskin coats, after all.

Next thing, I go fishing - the line does not snap, and I catch a lot of fish, getting the "It was THIS big" achievement fairly quickly. Cook most of it and do not lose so heavily in calories. Fishing now seems to be a viable option.)

I love this change, too. Finally I don't have to eat raw fish any more - something I would avoid at any cost in a real life survival situation because of worms.

So far I really like the new update (except the fact that the car in the barn with a lot of water supplies is gone ;) ).

I am the only one who waited for Fluffy's big brother to attack you in the mine?

The Radio Hut is really cool - I think I will base there in my next run. The new stove in the Farmhouse - great, too.

But I can't say anything about the new A.I. of wolves because I still didn't encounter one of them in PV :? . Does the respawn fix only work when I start a new game?

I am looking forward to explore the ravine and test the new fishing experience! :D

Loving most of what I've seen. Wolf behavior is better. Not sure exactly how I feel about the delay in the hostile wildlife spawns in Voyageur mode... knowing it is there allows you to gamble on getting to places very early on, and 18 hours does go pretty fast.

I like the new UIs for firebuilding, cooking, etc, except:

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the item order in the new crafting UI. To be precise, I find it a bit unfortunate that you have to click through all 10 pages/items in order to craft Old man's beard Wound dressing. I would very much prefer those bandages not to be on the last position. You're going to craft much more of these than bearskin bedrolls or wolfskin coats, after all.

I have to agree with this. What I wonder is if it might not be better to set up the items to craft as a bunch of tabs across the top in the same way that Add Fuel/Cook/Melt & Boil are in tabs across the top of the Fire UI. This way, people can just pick the tab they want to craft without having to cycle through the whole list. Of course, this depends upon having reliable and easily recognizable icons for each item to be crafted, but so far, I think that could be done with the items currently craftable (wound dressing could look like a bandage, etc.)

Camp office, what did you guys do in there? I'm having a hunny did you change your hair? moment on the first floor. It looks different but I can't put my finger on it and its driving me nuts.

Yeah it looks like they re-textured the insides, but the dimensions feel different too... like a lower ceiling on the first floor and the building feels more stretched out long ways

torture! :shock: I've been out of town all week for work! :) Can't wait to try the new update. (And hoping I don't build up excessive expectations!)

well by the time you get back Toe, the hotfixes should be in place. Right now animals seem to be getting stuck and the UI seems to be getting in the way a bit, but all in all, a superior build than v.200,

Was hoping for more in terms of features.

watched the vid. Thanks for that. I like the look of the UI, but I'll have to see how it 'feels'. :)

I'd agree with Polarbear that I'm uncertain about the delay in hostile spawns--- sure, the start of the game is when you may feel most vulnerable, but you've also got the least to lose if you get unlucky-- no stockpile of food, no time invested in crafting etc.

Archived