lunakittiy

Dose anyone else feel like they need to add pancakes or waffles for our syrup or flapjacks sounds cool too. And for those pancakes with syrup add the smashed acorns on top. That sounds delicious and amazing. What do you guy think of combining things and hope to add for foods???

• Upvote 2

I don't know about pancakes and such, but bread would be a really nice food to add. I suppose they wouldn't add it, because it wouldn't last long before expiring. Adding packaged bread tho would totally fit. Like the ones that are sold in plastic bags.

And you could Make your own bread. Flour doesn't go bad easily right? Overall I think there could be some more vegatables to be found. Like potatoes found in some basement or cupboard.

I know they have said they won't add farming, but it's not really needed If there are all The ingedients around. 

Anyways I would love for a more complex cooking system. Imagine making yourself a proper meal. Like fish soup. 

Edited by Boneviolin
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 12:39 PM, Boneviolin said:

I don't know about pancakes and such, but bread would be a really nice food to add. I suppose they wouldn't add it, because it wouldn't last long before expiring. Adding packaged bread tho would totally fit. Like the ones that are sold in plastic bags.

And you could Make your own bread. Flour doesn't go bad easily right? Overall I think there could be some more vegatables to be found. Like potatoes found in some basement or cupboard.

I know they have said they won't add farming, but it's not really needed If there are all The ingedients around. 

Anyways I would love for a more complex cooking system. Imagine making yourself a proper meal. Like fish soup. 

Fish soup would be awesome to have in game. I was also thinking about different cans of soups they could add like potato soup, broccoli soup,clam chowder soup,chicken noodle soup, other soups I can’t think of the names off the top of my head but other soups would be nice. Also some other crackers would be nice like the honey grams crackers the ones you use for s’mores. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kranium said:

Acorn flour is a thing. You can use it much like "normal" flour. Adding maple syrup on top is literally the icing on the cake.

Considering the steps necessary to utilize acorns in-game, being able to make acorn bread/pancakes/whatever would add an awesome layer to it all.

That's amazing to hear!

I looked up the lifetime of normal flour and that seems to work pretty nicely aswell. "How long can you keep flour? Any white flour, like all-purpose or self-rising flours, stored at room temperature should be discarded after three months; if stored at a cooler house temp, it can last six months. In a fridge, the flour has one year, and in the freezer, it has two." Since the whole world of the long dark has now pretty much been turned into big freezer, I think all flour has been basically preserved.

The same thing kind of applies to yeast. And you could make your own yeast from some fungi, since the game already has similiar weird recipes. I don't think you realisticly could make yeast in the nature tho. I looked into that too a bit. It seems there are many ways of doing it, but seems like you just need some fermented fruit like raisins, water, room temperature and you need to care for it daily for a few days.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Looking further into making yeast, it seems like you can use a lot of things. For the long dark I think rose hips would be good, or if they added potatoes, you could most definetly use those, or you could use old bread. There is this method which is quite simple. 

• Boil your potatoes and save the water.
  • Into 1.5cups of the potato water stir 1 tablespoon of sugar and a cup of flour.
  • Cover and leave this mixture in a warm place overnight. The next morning it should be bubbly and smell like yeast.

Most likely only one of these is going to be used, but it is most definetly possible! And even quite simple

Making yeast could also be limited by your cooking skill. Maybe you'll have a slight chance of failing at lower levels or make it totally impossible. Then at the level 2 or maybe 3, you will be abled to make yeast and further levels will increase the chance and quality of your yeast. Low quality yeast could have a chance to fail you when making bread.

You could also make crackers or such by not using any yeast.

Edited by Boneviolin
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2023 at 2:33 AM, Boneviolin said:

That's amazing to hear!

I looked up the lifetime of normal flour and that seems to work pretty nicely aswell. "How long can you keep flour? Any white flour, like all-purpose or self-rising flours, stored at room temperature should be discarded after three months; if stored at a cooler house temp, it can last six months. In a fridge, the flour has one year, and in the freezer, it has two." Since the whole world of the long dark has now pretty much been turned into big freezer, I think all flour has been basically preserved.

The same thing kind of applies to yeast. And you could make your own yeast from some fungi, since the game already has similiar weird recipes. I don't think you realisticly could make yeast in the nature tho. I looked into that too a bit. It seems there are many ways of doing it, but seems like you just need some fermented fruit like raisins, water, room temperature and you need to care for it daily for a few days.

Wow, I can't say I've ever thrown away flour after only three months... and I know I've occasionally used flour (all-purpose) that has been older than a year and not had a noticeable problem with how it smelled, looked or the taste of it in the recipe.  I do keep it in a sealed tupperware container in a cool, dry, dark cabinet where bugs or critters can't get at it.  I've never frozen it.

I sort of think these "best before" dates have become a bit of a scam and we're tending to throw away a lot of food that is still quite safe and edible.

Food varieties in games really don't concern me much.  If a recipe becomes too onerous to make (i.e. too many different ingredients or steps), I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be bothering to go out of my way to make it as long as I had something quicker and simpler to eat and survive on.  It all tastes like pixels to me. 😀PS:  I'm not against the variety.  If other people want it, that's OK by me... I'm just not likely to bother with it.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1