Animals disappearing?

cullam

This might just be a string of bad luck, but on my current game (Interloper), I've had the vast majority of animals that I've hit with a bow disappear. If I don't drop them on the first shot, and they run off, they've only once left a carcass. The other 5-6 times, they've run off, and then there's no sign of them (or my arrow) anywhere. Do animals just much more commonly despawn on Interloper? I'm mostly use to playing Stalker.

2 hours ago, Moosemaster said:

If they run far enough so you can’t see or hear them they will despawn to help the games frame rate.

Unless this is specific to loper, I doubt this is true.  I've had animals run half way across the zone before dying (without me following them).  I just listen for the crows.

So, I just went bear hunting, and put three arrows in it, before ducking into a cabin to hide. After passing a short amount of time, I found the three arrows in a pile where the bear had been, with no sign of the animal. So he clearly despawned just outside my door. So I guess the various arrows I lost theoretically still exist, somewhere in the world. (that was how I'd always thought it worked, but hadn't been finding any this game)

I guess I'll need to make more arrows, and see if I can drop a bear without relying on bleed out.

12 minutes ago, cullam said:

So, I just went bear hunting, and put three arrows in it, before ducking into a cabin to hide. After passing a short amount of time, I found the three arrows in a pile where the bear had been, with no sign of the animal. So he clearly despawned just outside my door. So I guess the various arrows I lost theoretically still exist, somewhere in the world. (that was how I'd always thought it worked, but hadn't been finding any this game)

I guess I'll need to make more arrows, and see if I can drop a bear without relying on bleed out.

That's a common issue and it's best to stay outside, if possible, until the bear dies.  Spending time indoors after shooting an animal often causes the animal to despawn.  The animal will also likely despawn if it runs off and a blizzard comes up before it dies.

• Upvote 1