What's for breakfast? A simple food extension.

We find a lot of food like cans (and an awful lot of energy bars for a rugged outlandish village to be) but what about...bread?

Introduce bread as perhaps a rarer find in the game, with the ability to extend the use of the other different foods we find such as the highly valuable peanutbutter and related things, by making pieces of bread with the aid of the knife, because of the combination of both bread and whatever else; Perhaps the reward is extra 150+ calories/proteins, yeah?

Sounds good, perhaps some long lasting foil wrapped tosat type of bread; And eating peanut butter sandwitch could be a great morale boost, if they will implement WILL/mental aspect as I heard they plan to.

Ate 3rd can of dogfood in row and chased it with a sip of toilet water? Depression kicking in.

Peanut butter sanwitc and Stacy's Grape Soda consumed by a warm fireplace? Life's good.

Wouldn't bread have deteriorated by the time the player is looking for it?

I noticed that we do not encounter fresh food anywhere (except outdoors), just things which are durable (packaged bars/beef jerky etc.). It seems to be a design decision, as fresh food would have to deteriorate at a much faster rate than the rest. So we would find edible bread only during the first 2-3 days at best. Considering that, it does not seem worth the effort to design it for the game.

Although it would be nice to find it, of course. I mean, there is a lot of things one could think of that would be nice to find. But the game can't feature them all.

SO......make some bread?

Almost every person I know of has some flour in their house. Mix that with water, some salt, and mold the dough onto a hot stovetop or rock by the fire, and you have some quick, tasty "survival bread" that can be packed easily and lasts for a while.

SO......make some bread?

Almost every person I know of has some flour in their house. Mix that with water, some salt, and mold the dough onto a hot stovetop or rock by the fire, and you have some quick, tasty "survival bread" that can be packed easily and lasts for a while.

interesting!

I think another good option would be hardtack. All we need is water, flour and salt. The flour, water & salt method will last for decades. Adding fat to the mix will up the calorie count, but shorten the lifespan considerably. You can take either of these recipes raw and fry them, just drop in hot oil. Add some sugar or honey while hot to make it more of a confection.

Here is a easy way to make it: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Hardtack

Another thing I notices, where are all the dried products? Beans and rice come quickly to mind. I have a five gallon plastic pail of rice, beans and flour in my larder (along with 20 gallons of water). Why? I live on the Gulf Coast and hurricane preparedness begins at home. That said, this food stuff will last for years. I have seen canned pork and beans, but nothing of the dried food stuffs.

Wouldn't bread have deteriorated by the time the player is looking for it?

I noticed that we do not encounter fresh food anywhere (except outdoors), just things which are durable (packaged bars/beef jerky etc.). It seems to be a design decision, as fresh food would have to deteriorate at a much faster rate than the rest. So we would find edible bread only during the first 2-3 days at best. Considering that, it does not seem worth the effort to design it for the game.

Although it would be nice to find it, of course. I mean, there is a lot of things one could think of that would be nice to find. But the game can't feature them all.

I don't consider deterioating an issue if we consider the fact that Hinterland could EASILY make sure that some houses are flooded in with snow so its frosty, beautiful terror could put the date on the bread on suspended animation. Fridge cold alone in the otherwise liveable house are enough to sustain the breads quality for a loooong time, and so what if it got mushy? Still edible!

Flour, salt, and water alone make for a pretty dry and crunchy biscuit not really bread. Even pretzels have yeast leavening. Not I'd be ALL in favor of being able to get a starter going.

Mix flour (1C) and water (1C) together and leave it on uncovered near the stove. Keep the stove going for 3-4 days straight and you will likely have a starter going from wild yeasts.

Then you need to mix the dough and unless you keep a fire going it'll take 3 days to rise and then you can use one of the MANY deep pans I see laying around to bake it in a fire.

The plus side? in cold weather like this you'll likely only need to feed the starter when you are wanting to use it. Starter freezes and comes back really well, or for that mater you can dry it on a cloth and restart it from that.

Archived