How come I can't sleep on ice?

TWM

The other day I decided to stay the night over in Winding River to harvest the wolf I just killed. I'm thinking, it's in a somewhat secluded spot, so I'll just make a fire, cook up some wolf meat, and hunker down for the night right there. As long as the wind doesn't come from the wrong direction, I'm good. Perfect opportunity to try out my new Bear Skin bedroll, or so I'm thinking.

Except, I'm not allowed to place it. So I move a couple of steps up on the ice, I'm thinking: surely this is a flat surface. Nope. Won't do it.

I'm thinking: this is likely a bug with the Bear Skin bed roll, so I'll walk over to the cave a little further down the stream, where I've left a regular bedroll. After some comparing, it turns out I can deploy both bedrolls, it just won't let me deploy them on ice.

It's not an appropriate surface I guess? But that doesn't really make sense (it might from a developing standpoint, but I mean, intuitively).

Am I doing it wrong? Or is ice actually off limits for deploying a bedroll? And should it be?

sleeping bag.png

Hmm... I'll have to test that too; I didn't know that was a thing.  And if I did, I'd certainly forgotten about it.
If I find that to be the case for me as well... I'll have to open another ticket alongside the invisible metal container I found.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I can't imagine that it's intended behavior.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Hmm... I'll have to test that too; I didn't know that was a thing.  And if I did, I'd certainly forgotten about it.
If I find that to be the case for me as well... I'll have to open another ticket alongside the invisible metal container I found.

I can't imagine that it's intended behavior.

It might be intended.. I've seen others have the same issue on older ytube videos...  As a rule though we're not likely to want to sleep in such a place,being so exposed.  

It's still odd though.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

@Leeanda
Agreed on both counts.
But considering we're usually allowed to make those kind of choices... it does seem a little out of place.
I mean I suppose there is precedent; we're not permitted to (in most cases) to build a campfire on the floor "indoors," or inside the coal mines.

However, I think that if we can build campfires out on the ice... then I'd think we ought to be able to lay a bedroll/bearskin bedroll on the ice as well. 🤭

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
Agreed on both counts.
But considering we're usually allowed to make those kind of choices... it does seem a little out of place.
I mean I suppose there is precedent; we're not permitted to (in most cases) to build a campfire on the floor "indoors," or inside the coal mines.

However, I think that if we can build campfires out on the ice... then I'd think we ought to be able to lay a bedroll/bearskin bedroll on the ice as well. 🤭

True.   Not being able to in mines is one of my niggles😊.   Maybe it's because some of the ice is never stable and the devs couldn't find a way to separate the two so just can't allow it at all.  

Didn't you used to be able to start fires on slopes too? I'm sure that changed for some reason.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

I usually don't find myself in situations where I'd feel the need to sleep on the ice or build a campfire on a slope... so I haven't tested it in a very long time.
All things worth testing. 

I may get another session in today... so when I get the chance I'll try them out again.

I can understand not sleeping on the ice but you've not had a kill need harvesting on a slope?   You've been very lucky if that's the case or you've always got kills exactly where you wanted them.. I have to chase things for miles waiting for them to bleed out and die somewhere really stupid😁

But I agree ,these things do need testing.

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda
Generally, I try set up my hunts very intentionally... if I have to chase a deer to a more idea spot, I try to take the time to do so.
If my shot fails to bring it down... then I usually make short work of it wherever it drops as quickly as possible (and usually before it freezes).
I don't really remember the last time I used a campfire for harvesting.

:D Back before we could break down campfires, I'd never use campfires at all (except in very specific places where I'd be okay with it being part of the landscape permanently.  As a result, I'd learned to live without the benefits of campfires.  When I learned one of my very few wishlist items had been granted... the habit of not using them had already been firmly engrained in my playstyle. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

10 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
Generally, I try set up my hunts very intentionally... if I have to chase a deer to a more idea spot, I try to take the time to do so.
If my shot fails to bring it down... then I usually make short work of it wherever it drops as quickly as possible (and usually before it freezes).
I don't really remember the last time I used a campfire for harvesting.

:D Back before we could break down campfires, I'd never use campfires at all (except in very intentional placed where I'd be okay with it being part of the landscape permanently.  As a result, I'd learned to live without the benefits of campfires.  When I learned one of my very few wishlist items had been granted... the habit of not using them had already been firmly engrained in my playstyle. :D 

That's where experience pays off.. even after three years I still feel like a newbie in some respects.   I gave up on deer completely after trying to herd them in my I got mauled run.. they seem to go wherever they like🙂. I didn't bother with them much before that.  

I'm surprised you got away without using fires at all though ,given how much harder the game used to be..  and the weather of course.

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda

I just got used to limiting my time out doing things like carcass harvesting to very short stretches until I had sufficient clothing layers to dedicate processing an entire carcass.  Once carcass harvesting skill gets high enough, then I could even save tools by stripping carcasses by hand (even the frozen ones once I'd hit level 5).  🤭

My playstyle just had to change to be able to harvest without fire, and just haven't really found myself in a situation where it occurs to me to do so.  Just got used to it, I suppose.

I'd also got used to doing without chopping limbs.  I find I can get by on sticks/branches and what pieces of cedar/firelog/coal that I find along the way.  This also would save me wear and tear on tools and remove another activity where I'd possibly need fire for the duration.  🤭

Edited by ManicManiac

@ManicManiac. I would have thought harvesting any large amount would be incredibly risky without some protection against wolves though. I know micro managing seems to be the thing these days but surely that would take even longer .  

I thought it was risky just taking small pieces with a fire when I attempted stalker.  

• Upvote 1

It can be.  That's why when I have a carcass I'd like to process, I scout the area to see if there are any wolves or bears in the area... if they are (and their wandering patterns suggest they might be too close by) I'll just opt to leave it be and move on.  The big benefit of a fire in that case is the flames would keep the wolves at bay giving you time to find and escape route with the meat/hide/gut.  It's risky in either case, but it can be done.  🤭

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

It can be.  That's why when I have a carcass I'd like to process, I scout the area to see if there are any wolves or bears in the area... if they are (and their wandering patterns suggest they might be too close by) I'll just opt to leave it be and move on.  The big benefit of a fire in that case is the flames would keep the wolves at bay giving you time to find and escape route with the meat/hide/gut.  It's risky in either case, but it can be done.  🤭

That's what's wrong with playing pilgrim,at least for me.. the wildlife isn't around long enough,or at all  to notice what paths they take.  Needing fires isn't really necessary so it was quite a shock going onto stalker..  I've picked up a lot of bad habits🙂.  

Thank you🙂 

Also my apologies to the OP for slightly derailing the topic.

• Upvote 1

I do know that you cannot build a campfire on weak ice.  I was marking out the extent of weak ice around the ice holes in Keeper's Pass South.  It was actually helpful news to me.  

Interesting that the OP couldn't deploy bedrolls on ice.  I am in Coastal Highway and have both the bedroll and bearskin bedroll.  I will have to give it a try as I don't think I tried that before.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Yup, why I only harvest in 1-hour increments.

That's the sensible way.🙂.    By the time I've chased a bear down ,Astrid's too tired to walk so it's either all meat then the rest or one big lot. I very rarely just grab bits .  Bad habits are hard to break.

Definitely, cannot place a bedroll on ice.  Invalid location to put item is the game's response.  I didn't doubt the OP but have to check for myself.  

I can only speculate that the ice is too flat for the bumpy underside of the bedroll.  Just like a seemingly flat plank is incompatible with the curved surface of a Coho Salmon!  :(

9 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

I can only speculate that the ice is too flat for the bumpy underside of the bedroll.

idk, I've slept on some pretty flat rocks.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the temperature of the surface - I would think snow would be just as cold.  Wonder if it has something to do with the thin ice mechanic...

Edited by hozz1235

Normally when camping out, wouldn't a person put some kind of insulating layer between whatever they were going to lay their bedroll down on?  Putting the bedroll directly on the ice might have been deemed too cold for game purposes of resting.  Now that could mean that eventually maybe - talking DLC stuff - some kind of insulating blanket or pad might be implemented to let the bedroll be placed on ice even if not really advisable most of the time.