There's a Hole...

I hope that was a nicely vague enough clickbait title to get people to want to click on this. Anyways, in the new areas I found a hole, that I can't get out of, so my first new survival game since the release is dead, and I can't proceed any further. Usually Hinterland is great about finding these and making sure players can't get themselves into a place that they can't get themselves out of, but this one is a HUGE major oversight.

The location is right here on the map, where my mouse pointer is:

image.thumb.png.25d585eb01936b543ead3b57ad9bb259.png

Here's a couple screenshots showing the surrounding area from BEFORE I fell in the hole:

image.thumb.png.77f7b57e96fc0dede81e5d5fc394f71a.png

So, when you're coming into the new area from the tunnel, if you take the "top route", you can use a rope to get down to the lower part. Well, there's a cave you come across. Enter that cave and take the right turns, and you can enter an area that's actually HIGHER than the high area you originally came from, as you can see in the screenshot above. Well, I turned around and saw a broken tree going into a hole. Being the naturally curious Long Dark player as many of us are, I figured that Hinterland wouldn't put a hole there if I wasn't meant to explore down there. I was wrong, oops:

image.thumb.png.030780da348327e5de1cc4c9529fd09f.png

Here's another perspective where my back is up against the wall (corner). This shows pretty much everything that's in the hole, and the "lay of the land" if you will. No way to escape:

image.thumb.png.9ee7c51c8a3363527e2c558200851844.png

That tree is too steep to walk up, and all of the rest of the rocks are either too jagged, or tilted in TOWARDS the hole rather than away from the hole, so that I can't "mountain goat" climb my way out by using the trick where you somehow magically walk on the side of the sheer surface of the rock wall.

So... I'm stuck. I can keep the game as it is and start a new one, if Hinterland wants my save file to precisely locate the hole. Or, maybe what I gave in this thread is good enough?

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Can't you reload from an earlier save?  It'd be a shame to lose the run because of that.

Wasn't a big deal to start a new run. I started off in Broken Railroad again, and found that the location that this hole is in is called "Foundered Railroad", if that helps anyone. At least I think that's the name. It disappeared from the screen so fast, and I can't figure out how to access the area name again... 😢

1 minute ago, Ansible said:

Wasn't a big deal to start a new run. I started off in Broken Railroad again, and found that the location that this hole is in is called "Foundered Railroad", if that helps anyone. At least I think that's the name. It disappeared from the screen so fast, and I can't figure out how to access the area name again... 😢

I think the only way to find out is  to go far enough away from it then go back again..  .  

Just now, Leeanda said:

I think the only way to find out is  to go far enough away from it then go back again..  .  

Yeah, I tried that. Went all the way to the next area that was called "Steely Chasm", but when I turned around and went back, the area name didn't pop back up again once I entered it like I'm used to seeing. Strange... bug perhaps?

1 minute ago, Ansible said:

Yeah, I tried that. Went all the way to the next area that was called "Steely Chasm", but when I turned around and went back, the area name didn't pop back up again once I entered it like I'm used to seeing. Strange... bug perhaps?

It could be bugged. It usually stays on long enough to read it.  Maybe see if anyone else notices it?

20 minutes ago, stratvox said:

The right way to deal with reporting it is to use F8 to take a debug screenshot. It will be just like a screenshot but with a bunch of yellow text showing information about the game, including the exact location on the map that the picture was taken.

Thanks! I was unaware of such a feature!

Really not far from where you "fell" is just another hole : if you keep climbing up the tree, heading for the bridge, you pass on the other side of the slide. Then, stick to your right and you'll reach it. No possibility to climb back up, with or without crampons and the tree inside is broken at 1m high so you can't get on it to climb out...

I saw it just before I'd fell in, lucky me!

Hmm, now that I think of it, it could be the same place...

16 hours ago, stratvox said:

The right way to deal with reporting it is to use F8 to take a debug screenshot. It will be just like a screenshot but with a bunch of yellow text showing information about the game, including the exact location on the map that the picture was taken.

Here you go. Stangely when I hit F8, the yellow came up only for a minute and disappeared, so I had to keep pumping it while I activated my screenshot software:

image.thumb.png.85097c98a7ddada355abb1a9c8bb7349.png

3 hours ago, DaGnome91 said:

Really not far from where you "fell" is just another hole : if you keep climbing up the tree, heading for the bridge, you pass on the other side of the slide. Then, stick to your right and you'll reach it. No possibility to climb back up, with or without crampons and the tree inside is broken at 1m high so you can't get on it to climb out...

I saw it just before I'd fell in, lucky me!

Hmm, now that I think of it, it could be the same place...

Yes, that's the exact spot that I'm talking about.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, Ansible said:

Stangely when I hit F8, the yellow came up only for a minute and disappeared, so I had to keep pumping it while I activated my screenshot software:

It should automatically be dumping a screenshot with that info.  Mine all end up on my desktop

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2022 at 8:15 PM, Jolan said:

It should automatically be dumping a screenshot with that info.  Mine all end up on my desktop

Yeah, I didn't see that until after I'd already posted. I usually have like 8 or 9 windows open at once on my dual screen monitor setup, and thus almost never see my desktop.

Which reminds me, since I have a thread on "problems with the new areas", here's another gripe. There should be no reason for an invisible wall here:

image.thumb.png.9772a6ccb716a6856d8a8e0f9916eea2.png

If someone wants to be dumb and/or crafty and try to clamber over this cliff and risk the drop, they should be able to. At least it gives them death rather than... just stuck sitting in a hole.

One thing I HATE whenever I come across it in video games - invisible walls. At least make the rocks taller or something!

• Like 1

Yeah, I get it. First world problem but still kind of annoying sometimes. I have a ton of immersion-annoyances with the game, too, but the invisible walls aren't one of them. Mostly to do with realism but being someone living in the BC wilderness myself I know I'm in an extreme minority haha. Gotta take a breath!

I'd have no invisi-wall & just let people fall down there, never able to get back. Same as what would happen IRL. What didja think would happen? Screw 'em! 😈

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2022 at 5:00 PM, Ansible said:

Yeah, I didn't see that until after I'd already posted. I usually have like 8 or 9 windows open at once on my dual screen monitor setup, and thus almost never see my desktop.

Which reminds me, since I have a thread on "problems with the new areas", here's another gripe. There should be no reason for an invisible wall here:

image.thumb.png.9772a6ccb716a6856d8a8e0f9916eea2.png

If someone wants to be dumb and/or crafty and try to clamber over this cliff and risk the drop, they should be able to. At least it gives them death rather than... just stuck sitting in a hole.

One thing I HATE whenever I come across it in video games - invisible walls. At least make the rocks taller or something!

oh, I hate invisible walls