My first evening with the new survival update

Off to a rocky start with the multiple downloads but everyone on steam seemed to be patient with it. It happens. I am a software developer and I know that a big release does not ever work right. Anyway, only took a couple hours to get it done and installed. Fine ever since. 

Landed in CH at some different location but I recognized it and made my way to the highway. It was refreshing to not know where the carcass spawns were. Had to keep looking at the sky to see where one might be. Also nice that the rifle locations are not fixed like before. I found Barb's riffle propped up and hidden behind a locker in Quonset. Nice! No riffle in DP cave or DP whale factory but I did find a revolver. The bow and an arrow are still at Katie's Secluded Corner which makes DP worthwhile. Also the good enough clothing to get me through PV and on to TWM for the summit. 

With this run I am not taking my time like before. I am focused on getting to the summit then getting the technical backpack and moose satchel then making my way to the airfield as fully kitted as I can be. Probably need to pause and get some meat and read books before I go. Maybe need to forge some arrowheads but perhaps I can find enough if I go back to PV. 

Once in the new region I will slow down and explore everything. If I get bored I will exit and loot all the other regions and make my bases like before then jump back in to whatever comes every 8 to 10 weeks.

You ROCK Hinterland. Thanks for taking my money!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

I went through the 2 new regions in Pilgrim mode last night to check it out.

Pilgrim mode= ridiculous amounts of loot, except it wasn't. Most containers were empty for me and aside from many clothing items and a few other things, no firearms/bows/no storm lantern... it seems to me the loot tables need some (a lot of) tweaking.  I didn't find any new items in the new regions.  Even the airfield hangar was surprisingly empty especially for Pilgrim mode.

Yes all 3 new rifles and storm lantern are in one of the cabins by the dam in Mystery Lake, it's a known bug.

I really liked climbing thru the coal chute!

The glimmer fog is pretty cool and the game is, as always, visually stunning.

When I went to post screenshots I saw a patch is already downloading!

20221205223426_1.jpg

20221205183826_1.jpg

20221205221648_1.jpg

20221205225905_1.jpg

20221205225742_1.jpg

20221205224629_1.jpg

20221205170211_1.jpg

20221205175201_1.jpg

Edited by stapeliad
  • Upvote 3

Started in HRV, Voyageur, spawned by the Landslide. Just had time to gather some firewood and a hatchet, then cattails and sticks before starting to freeze, I headed rapidly to the Valley Cave, gathering my first 24 rose hips on the way. The cave held a pair of sports socks in good condition, a worn bedroll, a research book "Stay on Target", 1 recycled can, a 25% tin of sardines, 2 pieces of cedar firewood, 1 piece of coal and 1 Accelerant. Luckily, I spawned with wood matches.

After having made my first fire quite easily, I put my whole load of firewood in it, boiling 1l of water and making my first rose hip tea while tearing down the worn bedroll (I spawned with an 82% one). Crafting improvised hand & head wraps, I was back to normal temp and my endurance was still around 75% so I decided to go hunting some rabbits before heading up, to the Satchel presumably. Alas, no rabbit in sight on the other side of the trunk... saw some does but hunting them with stones is hardly a good method ;)

I then decided to climb the first rope, while the wind started to gain in strength. Arriving at the middle vista, I had to stop for the night, endurance was nearing 0. Still, I cut open the way to the next rope, along with the 2 fir limbs, gathered the sticks, rose hips, and old man's beards, made a fire where I could be protected, putting as much wood as I could, and slept for 7h. The last of the fire was spent boiling some water and making 2 rose hip teas, gulping one and heading for the second rope to Pensive Vista. I made a straight line for the ice cave, freezing and losing some life to the cold but still gathering sticks, rose hips and cattails. After a nap in the cave, gulping another hot tea, I made my way to the mysterious signal fire and discovered that ... it was not here ! In fact, a cured leather and an enigmatic note pointing to the other mysterious signal fire's cave was all there was! Navigating in heavy fog and near blizzard, I should have waited before heading up, but old habits... ;)

I still have to finish climbing up there, and walk to verify if the Satchel is still where it was, but now the wolves should also be around, so things will get a bit more complex, but it was a good start, and the loot table is definitely different than before ! Great Bear is again for us to explore, and that is just wonderful !

• Upvote 1

Started with Interloper, made my spawn location Brocken Railroad.

Allowed myself to loot RR, before heading into new region.

Well, got stomped by the moose, so went into new region with broken ribs. Hanging in there on day 10, but the blizzards in FA are crazy, worse than PV. Food is going to be an issue. Not sure if I’ll be able to craft a bow, so my run might eventually be limited by food.

-t

Day 33. Fully kitted out after TWM and then back down through PV and on to ML. Spent a few days there popping a couple deer, reading all my books and getting my clothes to 100%. I figure that the way to the new region could be cold and nasty so I want to have lots of food, water, and stuff to make a snow shelter if blizzard hits.

I drop everything that I think I don't need but I am still overweight after I pick up my meat and water even with +10kg carry capacity. It doesn't matter. I am used to walking encumbered. Off I go to BR. I don't investigate anything on the way. I just plow my way through even though it is cold and wind chill. My condition is going down but I know I can make it to the lodge. A blizzard hit on the way and my clothes took a hit. I need to fix them and I am hoping for the 2nd Cowachin sweater that sometimes spawns there even though the loot tables have changed. One can always hope. But lord love a duck it is there! Lots of cloth and a sewing kit to get me back to 100% and read another book. My water and meat are down but then so is my weight. On a clear cold morning I am good to go into the unknown.

I should have waited a bit. Too cold. I have 3 bar down as I make my way to the Maintenance Shed but I warm up there and drink some toilet water and pick a couple sodas. Once fully warm I head out. Hinterland wasn't kidding. What a freaking long way! And so interesting! On my way back I have so many places I want to explore. I saw a rope climb but It looked like I would have to goat down to it and didn't want to chance it. Leave it for later.

Finally after an eternity of walking I made it to the hub or whatever the region is called. It is awesome in itself. I spent 3 days exploring and mapping it. Not much food there. Only one deer which got me stocked up again. Needed to repair my clothes again and read another book. Hinterland is smart. They only need to open up the transition zones to the other 2 regions to make them work. It is all there and ready to go. I suppose if you want to camp at the train station for a while you could set some rabbit traps and live off them. there are lots of pallets to make reclaimed wood. If you start with the 2 guts from the deer to get 2 traps and trust that you get more bunnies than failures then you will soon be able to add more traps = more bunnies = more food and more traps etc. Plus a deer respawn. Maybe on the way back I will try live there for a while and venture back into the transition zones to explore. Definitely need a home base to run back to when exploring the transitions and if my fragile memory serves it is better from the hub rather than from BR.

Oh I almost forgot... all those dark rail tunnels brought back vivid memories of my time working underground mines in my 20's. Especially that the walk was so long and dark with no end in sight. There is nothing like the total darkness of being underground. If your light goes out you will go insane in a hurry! It happened to me once but I knew where I was and could just drag one foot against the rail as I walked until I could finally see the small dot of light that was the mine exit way in the distance. Probably I will have some nightmares for a while.

So here I go. Day 33. It's morning. Cold but clear. I pick up all my meat and water. I am heavy but not too slow. I know where the transition to the airfield is and I am on my way. I sure hope I don't die.

• Upvote 1

I'm at the airfield. Another freaking long way to finally get to the control tower. Some interesting spots on the way that I earmarked for exploration later. But damn is it COLD! I got double everything of the best clothes and I still lose condition. Now I am stuck in the control tower with a full on whole day blizzard raging. I tried going outside a few times to see if I could run to the hanger but I can't even see where it is. Good thing I carried a whole deer with me but it doesn't last forever and there is no other food here. I wish I was back in PV. It was positively pleasant there. I feel trapped. I know I'm gonna die here. I better jump back into the game and see what lasts longer. The blizzard or my food.

They are coming, and there is no way out.