Graphic Glitch

weeperdoc

I am haunted by very unpleasant graphic problems that prevent me from playing.

A few details. I recently bought a new laptop with a rather unusual screen resolution of 2560x1600. From that moment on, I started having incomprehensible graphic problems (however, everything is fine on my main PC). To be very brief and clear, the essence of the problem lies in the fact that when the picture is static, everything is fine, only the picture is dynamic, that is, when I start running or move the camera, all the textures of trees/furniture/partly the sky start to glow strangely.  I tried a bunch of options to fix it but nothing helped, I can't figure out if the problem is with my screen on my new laptop or maybe even the video card.

I did not change any settings, everything is standard. I also did not install any modifications, this graphic bug appears on any graphics settings. 

And the strange thing is that when I decided to record the screen to show it, it is not visible in the video itself. That's why I had to shoot on my phone, the video perfectly shows when I start moving the mouse on the borders of the textures, incomprehensible nonsense appears, and when the picture is static, everything is fine.

That's pretty fricky. Does TLD have a motion blur or AA setting you can try turning off? It looks like it's just happening around the edges of everything, I doubt it's your monitor or GPU, unless of course you have an arc GPU. I assume if you took a screenshot and moved it around in paint or a web browser it wouldn't have that issue but you could always test that to be sure.

11 hours ago, odizzido said:

That's pretty fricky. Does TLD have a motion blur or AA setting you can try turning off? It looks like it's just happening around the edges of everything, I doubt it's your monitor or GPU, unless of course you have an arc GPU. I assume if you took a screenshot and moved it around in paint or a web browser it wouldn't have that issue but you could always test that to be sure.

some kind of incomprehensible bullshit, when I take a screenshot of the screen or enable screen recording, those on the screenshot are not visible on the video, I don’t understand what problem in my laptop is causing this strange lighting of textures, and it must be a problem with the screen itself... what to do with this until the ideas came

Guest jeffpeng

Most definitely an issue with the LCD, not the Game or Graphics.

Looks a lot like an LCD that is oversteering pixels to make them response faster. However: you rarely ever see something like this today, as modern LCDs have become very responsive without such trickery. I don't recognize the model of your laptop. Maybe you can adjust something about how the LCD is driven in some software. Sometimes there are proprietary utilities you can download from the manufacturer's support page.

@odizzido's suggestion of taking a screenshot and dragging it across the surface is a good one. This would help determine if it is indeed the LCD itself, or if there is some "low latency" mode your screen enters when rendering Direct3D content. If the latter is true there might be something you can do about it. If not I would strongly suggest returning the device if at all possible.

For context: when a pixel, or better a subpixel, as there are at least 3 for each pixel (red, green, blue) changes opacity, meaning how much light is blocked from the back light, the current applied to the subpixel is adjusted. Changing state takes time in the milliseconds range (hence it's noticeable) and this state change is more noticeable when the state change does not occur from maximum to minimum or vice versa, but when the change is from like 20% to 80%, for instance if you change from a darker red to a lighter red, but not from black to full red. To compensate for this delay some LCDs apply a higher current to the crystal (as LCD literally means Liquid Crystal Display) to "overshoot" the target opacity by a bit, and then readjust afterwards. This helps with display response times, but it also causes the effect you perceive, which goes by the term "Ghosting". Most older LCDs utilize some form of oversteering, and then balance it around the sweet spot between gain in response time and occurrence of ghosting. Today's LCDs are usually fast enough to drive 60hz rather seamlessly.

Try killing the SSAO feature. Otherwise, what @jeffpeng said. I wonder if maybe the combination of the oversteering feature that he's talking about with the enhanced edges of the SSAO are making your graphics go wobbly. When SSAO is on, everything has a sort of fringe shadow, but it's much more subtle than what's up there in your video.

Good luck!