Weird bug has me confused

Leeanda

If one is being electrocuted, chewed on by a wolf, mauled by a bear, or stomped by a moose I do not think that ESC does anything until the animation is done and the game proceeds to save.  To stop that it is necessary to kill the game by any means necessary (my computer has a reset button).  That might throw the save game into a grave if the action is taken too late i.e., the game has started to save, or pesky bad luck but that's the price that may be paid to try not have the outcome saved.  

Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

If one is being electrocuted, chewed on by a wolf, mauled by a bear, or stomped by a moose I do not think that ESC does anything until the animation is done and the game proceeds to save.  To stop that it is necessary to kill the game by any means necessary (my computer has a reset button).  That might throw the save game into a grave if the action is taken too late i.e., the game has started to save, or pesky bad luck but that's the price that may be paid to try not have the outcome saved.  

Good luck. 

Thank you...   

I'm on a trouser hunt at the moment . It's typical that you can never find things when you really need them .🙂

16 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

We really need to get you on the laptop. Yes there are still bugs on a PC but the game is generally more stable than on console. I honestly think the difficulty you've been having with your FPS and other Quality settings not suiting you lie within this section.

Thanks for posting the "long version" of what I was trying to say :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Even weirder,,there are no trousers of any kind in mystery,pv,mountain town,coastal or desolation... 

That was pretty much the end of that run for me..  

I could make a smutty retort to this but I shall refrain! Behave Socks, behave 😁😇

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2022 at 4:47 AM, Sgt Socks said:

@Leeanda

OK, now I know what you meant when discussing your FPS issues.

Please forgive the fact I had to take a photo of my TLD settings  for some reason I only get an image of the main menu when I take a screenshot. It should be clear enough.

Go to the Settings Menu, then into "Quality". You should see this screen.

20221101_042926.thumb.jpg.80bc58add129314fe5c3d51a2b075e5d.jpg

At the top of the screen you will see "High" selected on my settings. You can use this to change the overall quality settings using predetermined categories, a bit like choosing a difficulty level when in a custom game.

As a general rule of thumb, higher settings means lower FPS, lower settings mean higher FPS. However the accuracy of this does depend a lot on the individual machine, but it's a good place to start thinking about how you want to change things.

Just bear in mind that lowering the Quality to increase FPS does, well lower the graphics quality! It may not be just the FPS which isn't suiting you, it could also be things like draw distance. So having a decent length of play on each setting is a good idea to find out what works for you and what doesn't.

The only way for you to find a setting that suits you is to take the plunge and try a few different things. Don't worry, you can't break anything! Try playing on each standard setting first then see how it suits your machine, your eyes, your sinuses and your personal preference.

I'd advise  setting up a separate save just to play around with the settings, but you shouldn't have any issues. They are there to be used and changed.

I don't think your laptop is the issue my darling, from what you've told me it sounds like you made sure it met the minimum requirements.

Therefore you need to take the plunge and play around with these Quality settings to find one that works both for you and your laptop. If you still can't then we can look at some fine tuning.

We really need to get you on the laptop. Yes there are still bugs on a PC but the game is generally more stable than on console. I honestly think the difficulty you've been having with your FPS and other Quality settings not suiting you lie within this section.

I play on a pretty old PC running Linux and I have pretty poor performance. I've had my graphics settings turned low forever, but it still judders a lot, especially in certain places like the Cannery or Maintenance Yard (I blame the chainlink fencing) or during heavy snow. I can usually get it to a playable state after a bit of fiddling, usually I have to close down all my other applications; it really doesn't like me having email or a web browser running.

How do I find my FPS rate?

5 minutes ago, xanna said:

How do I find my FPS rate?

That I'm afraid I don't know Xanna. I don't even know my own, I just know the basics of how settings affects FPS and how FPS affects performance.

I judge things on how it feels to play it rather than what the numbers tell me.

Hopefully someone else will be able to answer that for you.

11 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

If you got it on steam then there's a setting on there for it..can't remember where though at the moment..sorry.

Thanks! I found it
I loaded the game, hit Alt-Tab for the Steam overlay, clicked settings, and there is a drop-down menu to display FPS on-screen while playing.image.thumb.png.bc7d9d108bcf22ed1e13bc4ab52f06a6.png

My FPS, with all my normal applications also running, is 15. I'm guessing that's... not good.

• Upvote 1

Just now, xanna said:

Thanks! I found it
I loaded the game, hit Alt-Tab for the Steam overlay, clicked settings, and there is a drop-down menu to display FPS on-screen while playing.image.thumb.png.bc7d9d108bcf22ed1e13bc4ab52f06a6.png

My FPS, with all my normal applications also running, is 15. I'm guessing that's... not good.

I'm glad you found it... No 15 isn't good... I have trouble when it's on 25 ..