Mending skill book after level 4

sierra 117

So I'm curious if anyone knows if the Sewing primer book can be read when I am at lvl 4 mending.

Currently trying to get all skills to level 5. Mending is the last one to go(it's taking forever)

The reason I'm asking is I know that the rifle skill book can't be read after level 3 iirc.

So wondering if that applies to other skill books aswell?

Edited by sierra 117

I wish I could remember... it's been a long time since I've even tried to get mending up to level 5.  I remember that I did it by stockpiling cloth in CH (lots of curtains were sacrificed) and then camping out in a fishing hut with a stockpile of wood and repeatedly mending my bedroll each day (which can be done without a sewing kit BTW)... Days upon days were passed fishing and mending and tending the stove.  I did it at the end of a run where I was intentionally going to end it all on Day 500 anyways, so I wasn't trying to preserve cloth or anything else.

Even if you are planning to survive as long as possible on your run,  I really wouldn't waste too much time looking around for a skill book.  If you do find one... great... certainly try to read it; but repairing stuff that doesn't really need repairs is still your quickest bet.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 4:39 AM, sierra 117 said:

So I'm curious if anyone knows if the Sewing primer book can be read when I am at lvl 4 mending.

Currently trying to get all skills to level 5. Mending is the last one to go(it's taking forever)

The reason I'm asking is I know that the rifle skill book can't be read after level 3 iirc.

So wondering if that applies to other skill books aswell?

FWIW, I recall that reading "Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns" put me over the top to Rifle Skill to 5. I specifically recall how the book saved me some rifle ammunition at a time I was trying to hoard ammunition.

If you intend to push your run beyond 500 days you are likely to reach Mending 5 just by repairing your clothes in the normal course of play.  In the final push to Mending 5 I may have been repairing items at 90% condition.

Edited by Blizzard Walker

• 3 weeks later...

True - Mending lvl 5 is acquired by playing normally around day 400-500 on Interloper.

I once did it faster on my first ever survival run - Voyager till day 250 i had all skills to lvl 5 (achievement) but i did repair every item i could find.

Edited by James Hickok

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 6/14/2022 at 10:05 AM, James Hickok said:

Voyager till day 250 i had all skills to lvl 5 (achievement) but i did repair every item i could find

Sounds more like a traveling journeyman. 😄 Actually.... that would make for quite the neat custom game mode.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, sierra 117 said:

Thanks, yeah tbh I've only got like 10%of the bar left to fill to hit lvl 5.

So will probably just continue repairing when clothing gets to 80%.

I have gone and basically repaired each item before I harvest it.  If you do it right its net zero cloth, but depending on how many days in and where you are it can seriously speed the process along.