Loot transport routes from Mountain Town to Mystery Lake.

Strelok

Both of my last playthroughs, i just moved my precious loot from MT and HRV to ML by just going back where i entered MT which is the two ropes (up and down) and the transition cave which is at Trappers Cabin.

But now i consider to move it through the south of MT (lake) with also two ropes, but both down, and then moving through Forlorn Muskeg.

Now i am asking myself if its worth to have a longer plain walk or to use a shorter path but with a rope going up.

How would you argue about which of those routes would you go for and why?

Edited by Strelok
Title

• Strelok changed the title to Loot transport routes from Mountain Town to Mystery Lake.

I would've thought it depends on how long your run is . Do you have a lot still to do or are you just passing time? 

I like marsh ridge but seldom spend much time there but it does have the birch bark and the occasional moose so it's a nice quiet rest spot. The view is pretty beautiful too . 

There is of course the possible bear and moose spawn in the north east of forlorn so that might cause you problems.  

It does seem a bit unfair that there are two ropes to get in and out of Mt though! I'd rather have a longer walk but a no climb option.

• Upvote 2

I would go via Milton Basin personally. I would first make a point to just move supplies to the bottom of the two rope climbs, then immediately head back up and rest. Then move more stuff down, climb back up and rest. Once all the stuff I intend to move is at the bottom of the rope climbs, then I can afford to be encumbered since the rest of the trip to ML would be entirely on foot. Plus the entire trip is over land, so you don't need to worry about navigating dark caves. (There's a way to walk directly to/from the Marsh Overlook without traversing the cave by the Hat Creek Waterfall or using the rope.)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I would go via Milton Basin personally. I would first make a point to just move supplies to the bottom of the two rope climbs, then immediately head back up and rest. Then move more stuff down, climb back up and rest. Once all the stuff I intend to move is at the bottom of the rope climbs, then I can afford to be encumbered since the rest of the trip to ML would be entirely on foot. Plus the entire trip is over land, so you don't need to worry about navigating dark caves. (There's a way to walk directly to/from the Marsh Overlook without traversing the cave by the Hat Creek Waterfall or using the rope.)

Even though i did my loot hauling again via the short route through the down then up rope and the transition cave directly to ML Trapper Cabin, i would argue in your scenario that it would be better to move one package in one go through FM to ML and then going back through the cave, so you only have 1 rope up and the much shorter way. What do you say about this? Because you have alot more rope up climbs in your scenario.

The distance difference is huge. The direct way is around the half distance in comparison to the longer route through FM.

If i am not wrong, MT to ML is quite the most difficult haul. Btw i needed 7 days with one package each day.

4 hours ago, Strelok said:

Even though i did my loot hauling again via the short route through the down then up rope and the transition cave directly to ML Trapper Cabin, i would argue in your scenario that it would be better to move one package in one go through FM to ML and then going back through the cave, so you only have 1 rope up and the much shorter way. What do you say about this? Because you have alot more rope up climbs in your scenario.

Yep there's more rope climbs. And in return, you don't need a light source, and you can quickly get the supplies into a manageable location. I'm talking quick as in real time, not quick as in "what's the absolute most efficient in-game use of calories". The only time I'm in this situation anyway is after I'm very well established and have weeks of food and water in reserve. So there's really no harm in extra climbs, if it makes it easier on me as a player.

For the most part, I just leave the stuff I gather in MT and HRV in Gray Mother's house... make a note of what's there and only go back if I really need it.  It's often handy to have a supply to tools and such already there if I want to go back to hunt, etc. later in the run, since it saves me having to bring in those items from my main base.  That is, I can go in lighter and carry out more hides and saplings.  As for the route - more often than not, I'm using the route through Forlorn Muskeg, since I'm also likely to be wanting to use the forge.

• Upvote 2