Moose challenge

Leeanda

This challenge is way out of my comfort zone!  The idea is that moose can only be killed with the flare gun and all other animals with the bow!   It's the first time without a rifle and it feels very odd! 

The rest of the settings are ,max moose and bears, high wolves ,high aurora and loot. It's also passive but no fear again!.I wasn't allowed to craft the bow until I'd found one first but I got lucky with that on day 2. I found one at the hunters blind in mystery lake! 

I'm now at mountaineer's hut on day 9 after visiting ash canyon to get the backpack and crampons!  My clothes are pretty good as I have snow pants, 2 military coats, insulated boots . Still need rabbit hat and mittens but they'll have to wait until I can craft some arrows! . My next call is to the summit to get the flare gun? Hopefully I'll find some moose as so far I haven't seen any in TWM Mystery, ash or PV!  And I've only seen two bears surprisingly.  Not bad on the wolves though especially in ash canyon and TWM!  

Taking a short break to sort my gear out and get some reading done before heading up to the crash site!  Managed to find quite a few birch saplings in ash so I'm waiting for them to cure too! 

I can only hope that this experiment goes better than the last one!🙂 

If anyone has any tips for using either weapon please let me know! I need all the help I can get and it'd be much appreciated!🙂

Edited by Leeanda
Missed info
  • Like 1

There is a flare gun in Ash Canyon (pilgrim loot settings) if you haven't left there yet.  It's at a campfire that spawns a short distance west from Climber's Cave (across a log bridge).  However, it doesn't have shells with it.  Those spawn randomly in containers or on corpses in that zone.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

There is a flare gun in Ash Canyon (pilgrim loot settings) if you haven't left there yet.  It's at a campfire that spawns a short distance west from Climber's Cave (across a log bridge).  However, it doesn't have shells with it.  Those spawn randomly in containers or on corpses in that zone.

Thanks. Never noticed one there before. But in TWM now and I always find one at the plane crash. But good to know if it's not at the summit. 

Just now, Leeanda said:

Thanks. Never noticed one there before. But in TWM now and I always find one at the plane crash. But good to know if it's not at the summit. 

The one at the summit is a guaranteed spawn on all difficulties.  It should be there... hopefully, with about 6 shells on Pilgrim (if you're lucky).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The one at the summit is a guaranteed spawn on all difficulties.  It should be there... hopefully, with about 6 shells on Pilgrim (if you're lucky).

Is it? Just thought I was lucky.   I'm gonna need some luck but I know who to blame in this challenge if I don't have any! 😁

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Is it? Just thought I was lucky.   I'm gonna need some luck but I know who to blame in this challenge if I don't have any! 😁

Fair enough... it's a tough one.  Killing moose with the flare gun isn't easy and shells are very limited.  If you manage to kill even 1 moose, you'll be doing great.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Fair enough... it's a tough one.  Killing moose with the flare gun isn't easy and shells are very limited.  If you manage to kill even 1 moose, you'll be doing great.

I'm Only mucking around! I fully expect to get trampled and mauled on a regular basis! I hit that moose on the other run in the face several times with the flare gun and it was still running around like Rudolph!

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I'm Only mucking around! I fully expect to get trampled and mauled on a regular basis! I hit that moose on the other run in the face several times with the flare gun and it was still running around like Rudolph!

Lol... I have seen the likes of Kimiota and Wonz down them with a single flare-gun hit, but yeah Rambling Rudolph is usually what I end up with as well.  I have managed to bring down 1 in 3 hits.  I like to pick on the Ash Canyon moose by Stone Shelf Cave as my test subject.  There's a nice tree I can get on top off to avoid being stomped.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Lol... I have seen the likes of Kimiota and Wonz down them with a single flare-gun hit, but yeah Rambling Rudolph is usually what I end up with as well.  I have managed to bring down 1 in 3 hits.  I like to pick on the Ash Canyon moose by Stone Shelf Cave as my test subject.  There's a nice tree I can get on top off to avoid being stomped.

Yeah I've seen a few  doing it too!  I've just been wary of trying it so close up to a bear or moose before. And long distance doesn't  work.  Haven't got that moose, actually I haven't seen any anywhere yet. The only rubbings I've seen are at the cabin  near unnamed pond in mystery. Still got half the map left yet though and I'm hoping there's one at desolation cos I've never seen it there.

• Upvote 1

Well so far I'm not having much  luck!  No moose in Ash, PV, or Forlorn. Rubbings in Mystery but a no show so far.

Hardly any bears either! Haven't seen any in Mystery lake, highly unusual!  Only one in PV and one in Ash! 

It's going to make this challenge very hard to do!  

At the moment I'm in forlorn getting ready to make lots of arrowheads as I only have two arrows!  I did shoot at the wolf at the dam but apparently I either missed and the arrow just vanished or I hit it and it didn't bleed ? Bit confused about that! 

Once I've got the arrows made I think I'll try Broken Railroad!  Just hope my luck picks up there! I need the moose satchel! 

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well so far I'm not having much  luck!  No moose in Ash, PV, or Forlorn. Rubbings in Mystery but a no show so far.

Hardly any bears either! Haven't seen any in Mystery lake, highly unusual!  Only one in PV and one in Ash! 

It's going to make this challenge very hard to do!  

At the moment I'm in forlorn getting ready to make lots of arrowheads as I only have two arrows!  I did shoot at the wolf at the dam but apparently I either missed and the arrow just vanished or I hit it and it didn't bleed ? Bit confused about that! 

Once I've got the arrows made I think I'll try Broken Railroad!  Just hope my luck picks up there! I need the moose satchel! 

I hope so.  BTW, I just started a new One-Region Ash Canyon run.  I didn't get rubbings by Stone Shelf Cave, but I did get trampled by the moose there... caught me totally off guard and prompted a premature end to that run... Lol.  I also has deer carcasses galore, but very few human ones.  I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some sort of "cap" conflict at work here... dependent somewhat on the capacity of the player's system (I'm on a generic Xbox One, so I don't expect it can have the same capacity as many of the PC's out there and certainly not as much as a Xbox X or a PS5... Just a thought as to why I'm maybe seeing more problems than some.

• Upvote 1

I'm on the Xbox s.  I'm not finding many corpses either. Even weirder I'm getting crows in random places where I've never seen corpses or carcasses before and there's been nothing there. No feathers either.  

I've only noticed all this stuff happening since the update before BlackRock . It's just got worse and weirder since that last one.  I know there's some sort of memory bug mainly on Xbox so wondered if it is the system in some way? 

Sorry about the trampling !   Bad way to lose a run!   

I hope I don't have to go everywhere several times just to even find one! If there isn't one at broken I might stay at unnamed pond for a while to see if it's gonna show!  

Think these moose need to be sorted out! Just too random.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone seen my moose?  6 maps and all I've had is 1 rubbing on 1 tree in mystery lake. 

I know I put the settings on very high, and the bears seem to be very scarce too!  

I spent a couple of  days in forlorn crafting arrowheads and looking for signs of life. Apart from 1 wolf halfway down the tracks I saw nothing! No bears ,moose  or deer! Forced to leave as I had no desire to wander round the ice in fog looking for cat tails, I headed to Broken Railroad hoping to find the moose there and maybe some flare shells. But again no rubbings and no moose! Only one flare shell in the maintenance shed. I managed to make a  few arrows but ran out of feathers!  There aren't many corpses on this run either so finding feathers is proving a bit tricky.  I now have just  6 arrows  and 12 flare shells. Just hoping that I have enough food to last me until I can afford to waste arrows hunting! 

I'm now in trappers cabin, passing a bit of time to see if the random moose there will turn up!  I'm not getting my hopes up! But in this run anything can happen! 😁

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Has anyone seen my moose?  6 maps and all I've had is 1 rubbing on 1 tree in mystery lake. 

I know I put the settings on very high, and the bears seem to be very scarce too!  

I spent a couple of  days in forlorn crafting arrowheads and looking for signs of life. Apart from 1 wolf halfway down the tracks I saw nothing! No bears ,moose  or deer! Forced to leave as I had no desire to wander round the ice in fog looking for cat tails, I headed to Broken Railroad hoping to find the moose there and maybe some flare shells. But again no rubbings and no moose! Only one flare shell in the maintenance shed. I managed to make a  few arrows but ran out of feathers!  There aren't many corpses on this run either so finding feathers is proving a bit tricky.  I now have just  6 arrows  and 12 flare shells. Just hoping that I have enough food to last me until I can afford to waste arrows hunting! 

I'm now in trappers cabin, passing a bit of time to see if the random moose there will turn up!  I'm not getting my hopes up! But in this run anything can happen! 😁

Ah... The best laid plans of moose and men oft go astray.  Hopefully, things get moosing soon! 😀

Honest, this is a fun challenge... normally, but things with spawns right now don't seem very normal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Ah... The best laid plans of moose and men oft go astray.  Hopefully, things get moosing soon! 😀

Honest, this is a fun challenge... normally, but things with spawns right now don't seem very normal.

LoL😀 I think they went further than astray!  

No problem,I'm kinda getting used to it and it is a challenge, just not quite the kind I was hoping for!  It's turned into Where's Moosey,'

Wonder if the moose have been keeping an eye on your thread after learning of your pyromaniacal persuasion 🤔 The wildlife is certainly stealthy these days, I wish you could take polaroids in the game just to remind us what the animals look like ... With fur, fluff and feathers, in my case 🙊

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Wonder if the moose have been keeping an eye on your thread after learning of your pyromaniacal persuasion 🤔 The wildlife is certainly stealthy these days, I wish you could take polaroids in the game just to remind us what the animals look like ... With fur, fluff and feathers, in my case 🙊

Lol!

If they got any stealthier they'd be ninja's!  Someone's got to wear those hideous Balaclavas though!😁

Are there any left with their fur left?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Leeanda said:

Lol!

If they got any stealthier they'd be ninja's!  Someone's got to wear those hideous Balaclavas though!😁

Are there any left with their fur left?

😂 The animals have learned to utilise clothing to keep warm, makes sense on Great 'Bare' Island. Imagine seeing a shaved naked moose wearing that ugly green balaclava 😱 Or a bear on a bike pedaling towards you. Be like The Grinch 😄

Hope you managed to find some food, by the way. Don't want you starving to death before you can set a moose aflame 🔥

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

😂 The animals have learned to utilise clothing to keep warm, makes sense on Great 'Bare' Island. Imagine seeing a shaved naked moose wearing that ugly green balaclava 😱 Or a bear on a bike pedaling towards you. Be like The Grinch 😄

Hope you managed to find some food, by the way. Don't want you starving to death before you can set a moose aflame 🔥

🤣🤣. I can just imagine a green headed moose skating across the lake like some sort of weird zombie. 

Not sure which clothes the bear could fit into though!  Not exactly slimmers of the week!😁 

Managed to get a few bits of food ,may have to resort to shooting bunnies cos at least I can hit them with the bow! About the only thing I can hit! Lol😁

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

🤣🤣. I can just imagine a green headed moose skating across the lake like some sort of weird zombie. 

Not sure which clothes the bear could fit into though!  Not exactly slimmers of the week!😁 

Managed to get a few bits of food ,may have to resort to shooting bunnies cos at least I can hit them with the bow! About the only thing I can hit! Lol😁

🤣 Freaky, I like it 😄 Not sure how bears maintain their girth with so few animals to munch on 🤔 I reckon they've got a secret hoard of Pinnacle Peaches 💪 Could also be why you can't find much to eat.

Haha! So you can shoot quick moving, tiny animals but not great big fluffy targets? Interesting 🤔😄

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

🤣 Freaky, I like it 😄 Not sure how bears maintain their girth with so few animals to munch on 🤔 I reckon they've got a secret hoard of Pinnacle Peaches 💪 Could also be why you can't find much to eat.

Haha! So you can shoot quick moving, tiny animals but not great big fluffy targets? Interesting 🤔😄

They're probably eating my moose! 😁 That's why I can't find any!!! Might explain why the only moose scrapings are in mystery lake, there's no bears there. Not that I found anyway!

It is kinda odd that I can hit a tiny thing and  still miss the bears massive behind!!! Maybe it's a distance thing! I try not to get too close to bears as a rule😁

Sorry, it seems I'm late to this thread, oops! 

Good luck and try remember, don't goat down that place in Milton, lol 🙂 I hope you'll be able to take down plenty of moose soon! And avoid those aurora wolves whilst you're at it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Isn't the easiest place to find a guaranteed flare gun down the rope climb in Raven's Ravine?

Yeah I'd assume so, though I think a rope doesn't always spawn there, so it could be a little difficult getting there if you don't have a rope

Though hopefully with the low settings, there should be a rope there already, saving you the hassle of having to hunt for one

Edited by Catlover

3 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Isn't the easiest place to find a guaranteed flare gun down the rope climb in Raven's Ravine?

Probably but I like a challenge! I wanted to go to the summit anyway cos I couldn't find any shirts/jumpers anywhere nearer to where I was!  I was hoping the moose would be there too!!