What Is The Most Useful Thing In Tld

Catlover

After seeing @Levelgrinder's thread on useless items, I now know what the majority of players hate, but that consequently made me curious. What's everyone's favourite/most useful item? We could be talking practicality (matches, bedroll, etc) or just a chocolate bar. 

I think matches are the most useful, personally. You need them to make a fire which can make tea, water, and warm you up. Oh and you can get torches. Of course, on their own matches are useless, without tinder, etc, but they're vital when starting a fire. 

What does everyone else think?

• Like 1

@LeeandaHaha yeah running out of ammo can be annoying. Though, I suppose it is kind of unlimited if you pick up the casings and make new bullets. Though the other things used to make bullets would probably be limited. 

Have you seen that video on youtube which is basically a 3 minute clip of this guy just shooting animals to the tune of what I assume to be classical music of sorts. Probably sounds random but it was definitely entertaining, lol

• Like 2

Cloth for me. I've recently hit 1300 days, gathered every scrap I can find and stored it in PV farmhouse ... Worrying thing is, I have less than 500 pieces left. It's going to get really tricky when that runs out. I may be running through the hills in my birthday suit 😱

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Catlover said:

@LeeandaHaha yeah running out of ammo can be annoying. Though, I suppose it is kind of unlimited if you pick up the casings and make new bullets. Though the other things used to make bullets would probably be limited. 

Have you seen that video on youtube which is basically a 3 minute clip of this guy just shooting animals to the tune of what I assume to be classical music of sorts. Probably sounds random but it was definitely entertaining, lol

Yes i have ,it's very  funny. Love videos like that.  🙂

And the casings are indeed infinite but most of the other things needed to make it will run out sooner rather than later.  I need to improve my aim a bit better cos those moose take some killing sometimes! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Cloth for me. I've recently hit 1300 days, gathered every scrap I can find and stored it in PV farmhouse ... Worrying thing is, I have less than 500 pieces left. It's going to get really tricky when that runs out. I may be running through the hills in my birthday suit 😱

Yeah but you'll die from hypothermia before you get eaten🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Yeah but you'll die from hypothermia before you get eaten🤣

That's what I like about you, always see the positives 😄👍 I know I'll still have my deerskin/wolfskin outfit and rabbit mitts, but I've tried them without normal clothing and the drop-off in protection is huge 😱😬 So you may not be too far off with that assessment 😭😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

That's what I like about you, always see the positives 😄👍 I know I'll still have my deerskin/wolfskin outfit and rabbit mitts, but I've tried them without normal clothing and the drop-off in protection is huge 😱😬 So you may not be too far off with that assessment 😭😂

Have you thought of upgrading to double bear coat or even moose coat?  Even if that's still not enough at least you'll look good as a frozen corpse🤣

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Have you thought of upgrading to double bear coat or even moose coat?  Even if that's still not enough at least you'll look good as a frozen corpse🤣

🤣 Yes, I do worry about my appearance in case I get featured on a future 'Which Corpse?' magazine cover 😜 I do have a moose coat in storage for when the time comes, weight won't be an issue after all when I've nothing to wear under it 😭😄

In reality, matches must be the most important bit of kit, thankfully I have about 700 left. Be interesting to run out though, don't know what I'd do. Die probably.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

🤣 Yes, I do worry about my appearance in case I get featured on a future 'Which Corpse?' magazine cover 😜 I do have a moose coat in storage for when the time comes, weight won't be an issue after all when I've nothing to wear under it 😭😄

In reality, matches must be the most important bit of kit, thankfully I have about 700 left. Be interesting to run out though, don't know what I'd do. Die probably.

Lol🙂

Don't mag lens last practically forever?    

Seriously though ,we could use more crafting for all the excess hides.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Lol🙂

Don't mag lens last practically forever?    

Seriously though ,we could use more crafting for all the excess hides.

Yeah probably, never really used one. Should do though.

I agree, more guts than I know what to do with too. Should be able to fry 'em up and scoff away 🍻

• Upvote 1

Consider the lowly stick:

Easy to find, no extra time in the cold or calories spent to collect it

Can be used to make an easy to start fire to cook meat, boil water, or keep from freezing. And you can pull a torch from the fire to stay warm while walking, or scare off wolves

Raw material for a standalone crafted torch

Raw material for a snow shelter, which can save your bacon if you get into a bad blizzard far from shelter

Can be harvested to make tinder

Can be dropped on the ground to make an arrow or mark a path

And finally, if you believe the Wiki, they always point north when dropped on the ground!  Instant compass!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Yes i have ,it's very  funny. Love videos like that.  🙂

And the casings are indeed infinite but most of the other things needed to make it will run out sooner rather than later.  I need to improve my aim a bit better cos those moose take some killing sometimes! 

Yeah that's true. And haha, I bet they do. I've never killed, or got stomped, by a moose before but it will be a momentous day when that finally happens

32 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Consider the lowly stick:

Easy to find, no extra time in the cold or calories spent to collect it

Can be used to make an easy to start fire to cook meat, boil water, or keep from freezing. And you can pull a torch from the fire to stay warm while walking, or scare off wolves

Raw material for a standalone crafted torch

Raw material for a snow shelter, which can save your bacon if you get into a bad blizzard far from shelter

Can be harvested to make tinder

Can be dropped on the ground to make an arrow or mark a path

And finally, if you believe the Wiki, they always point north when dropped on the ground!  Instant compass!

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the stick. Never knew they pointed north, lol. Never underestimate the mighty sticks 

2 hours ago, Matt Lomax said:

Haha yeah that could be an issue. Imagine, you're walking through the beautiful PV orchard, the sun is shining, the crows are cawing. And then you see Will, stark naked, running around, probably fighting bears or whatever you normally do in your saves. The canadian wilderness at it's finest.

51 minutes ago, Pınar51-06 said:

Thanks for this thread. There are so many useful ıtems ın game. But for me, emergency stıms, coffee, hatche, torch and crampons.

You're welcome :) Yeah all of them are really helpful, though I can't remember the last time I used any of them, aside from torches and hatches. Mostly because I'm too cowardly to get myself into situations where I need stims, or to into AC for crampons, lol

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Haha yeah that could be an issue. Imagine, you're walking through the beautiful PV orchard, the sun is shining, the crows are cawing. And then you see Will, stark naked, running around, probably fighting bears or whatever you normally do in your saves. The canadian wilderness at it's finest.

🤣 That image will forever be burned into my memory 😫😄

36 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Yeah that's true. And haha, I bet they do. I've never killed, or got stomped, by a moose before but it will be a momentous day when that finally happens

It took me over two years to get my first stomping and I did it on purpose just to experience it for myself.  

You're missing all that lovely steak and the satchel.. well worth the risk for me but not everyone feels that way that's for sure.

23 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

🤣 That image will forever be burned into my memory 😫😄

Haha you're welcome? 

11 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It took me over two years to get my first stomping and I did it on purpose just to experience it for myself.  

You're missing all that lovely steak and the satchel.. well worth the risk for me but not everyone feels that way that's for sure.

I play on stalker so my main target is generally exterminating the wolf population around my pv base, so I usually leave moose hunting too late so by then I'm afraid to lose my survivor since I would get attached to it. I've just started a new save now so I'll go hunt a moose with that, the satchel is calling my name lol

33 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Haha you're welcome? 

I play on stalker so my main target is generally exterminating the wolf population around my pv base, so I usually leave moose hunting too late so by then I'm afraid to lose my survivor since I would get attached to it. I've just started a new save now so I'll go hunt a moose with that, the satchel is calling my name lol

Best of luck! If you're lucky he'll be at the fishing hut, great place  for dodging the pesky thing !

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Best of luck! If you're lucky he'll be at the fishing hut, great place  for dodging the pesky thing !

Thanks, I'll need it! I'll let you know how it goes when I do attempt taking him down. I probably should try in pilgrim first, but I can't be bothered to make a new save for that, lol. 

Also, how much rifle ammo should I need to have a good chance of taking it out? 

• Upvote 1

Well with me it can take anywhere between 2 and 6 rounds but I have lousy eyesight. If you can get a good chance at a  headshot  you may  need just  1 or 2.  Beware that beast it can be tricky to take down sometimes. Especially with the weird bugs flying around at the moment!   Best bet , get high enough but as close as possible.  Or near a door!🙂 

Good luck.  Oh and try not to panic too much  if he charges!🙂 like I do!

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

I gotta say the recycled cans are lifesavers. Boiling water, brewing coffee or medicinal drinks, etc. Besides the cooking pots they are the only thing that can provide water aside from hitting the royal throne.

So true actually, easily overlooked items that are essential to survive.

• Upvote 2

On 2/13/2022 at 6:46 PM, Catlover said:

After seeing @Levelgrinder's thread on useless items, I now know what the majority of players hate, but that consequently made me curious. What's everyone's favourite/most useful item? We could be talking practicality (matches, bedroll, etc) or just a chocolate bar. 

I think matches are the most useful, personally. You need them to make a fire which can make tea, water, and warm you up. Oh and you can get torches. Of course, on their own matches are useless, without tinder, etc, but they're vital when starting a fire. 

What does everyone else think?

Good idea for a thread. My vote is going to be for the can opener. May seem a strange choice, but when you think about it the amount of calories it saves compared to smashing cans open (and it saves the can as well) it could be the difference between life and death in the early stages of a run, especially on Interloper. And across a couple of hundred days the calories saved would be huge.

And if memory serves me correct it's also the only item listed in your stats, as in how many can openers you have found, which says to me the devs thought it important enough to include it in your stats.

My choice is the Mag Lens.  Most of my fires are free Mag Lens fires; I commonly wait for for a sunny day before boiling 10 liters or more of water.  Similarly I set aside raw meat until I can make a Mag Lens fire to cook meat.  Since I play on Voyageur with high end clothing its not essential to make fires to just stay warm. Match use goes way down. Presently I have over 1000 matches stashed away at various bases.

My second choice is the bow.  Although I have both a revolver and rifle, my bow is what I use for hunting deer/moose/bear and for suppressing wolves. I have gone over 200 days in my current run without shooting the revolver or rifle.  Using the bow almost exclusively means I can hoard ammunition - almost 300 total rounds are stashed away at bases.