What do think is the most "useless" item in TLD?

Levelgrinder

On 3/8/2022 at 3:08 AM, Glflegolas said:

Water purification tablets. You need a fire to melt snow anyways so why not wait a little longer to make potable water? The only use of these tablets is if your fire gets blown out and you've got some unsafe water lying around your inventory. Or you're in a big rush to go somewhere and don't have the patience to boil your water. I might use tablets once ever 40-50 in-game days on average. Otherwise, I don't.

Just use them right away. Especially early in the game, where time is very precious. Very. Just use them and they are suddenly without any real effort indeed useful. It can be the difference between night and day to save even only 40 min in the early game. Literaly. Ask yourself what you could have done in early game to bolster up your situation while you wait there for clean water by heat. At least early game. And they are really not on the "i cant take them because of weight" type of item.

I did the mistake to horde them for "later". But later it is getting less usefull indeed.

But an item to save time is nowhere near useless in general. At best not important.

But as always, i could be wrong in thinking that time in early game is something not important and a little magic time pill should be called useless and be ignored.

Water purification is magic. Pure love. Just shake it and live in another time dimension.

And if you dont believe me. While you go to sleep because its getting dark, i go to the next spot to search for peoples stuff who didnt make it in time.

Sorry, i am a believer in the holy water purification tablet.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Strelok said:

Just use them right away. Especially early in the game, where time is very precious. Very. Just use them and they are suddenly without any real effort indeed useful. It can be the difference between night and day to save even only 40 min in the early game. Literaly. Ask yourself what you could have done in early game to bolster up your situation while you wait there for clean water by heat. At least early game. And they are really not on the "i cant take them because of weight" type of item.

Sorry, i am a believer in the holy water purification tablet.

Hey, you make a compelling argument for using those little pills.  
I'm now a believer!

That's an upvote for me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Hey, you make a compelling argument for using those little pills.  
I'm now a believer!

That's an upvote for me!

Well. As i am a believer, i have to exaggerate a little bit.

🚱 + 🔥 = 🚰 at 🕖 🌜

🚱 + 💊 = 🚰 at 🕡 🌞

15 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

@StrelokYou know, I'd actually use those water purification tablets all the time if you could get unsafe water directly from (freshwater) ice fishing holes or waterfalls. Maybe that could be an idea for a future update or a mod?

I think it would have made sense from the get go of the games release that a player should have had to use them in order to be able to drink toilet water without having to boil it first.   Can you imagine the bacteria swimming around in an old gas station toilet?  hmmm, delicious....

• Upvote 2

Mmmm, that sweet, sweet, Canadian lemonade...

For that matter, why isn't the water in the toilets frozen, given that buildings are often below 0C? Seems kinda odd, but no odder than your water bottle not freezing solid even at -40C I guess. I guess those Mainland Springs water bottles must be very well insulated.

1 hour ago, Glflegolas said:

@StrelokYou know, I'd actually use those water purification tablets all the time if you could get unsafe water directly from (freshwater) ice fishing holes or waterfalls. Maybe that could be an idea for a future update or a mod?

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

I think it would have made sense from the get go of the games release that a player should have had to use them in order to be able to drink toilet water without having to boil it first.   Can you imagine the bacteria swimming around in an old gas station toilet?  hmmm, delicious....

Both VERY good points!

In my typical type of gameplay, I don't ever use the tablets (not rushed for time, plenty of resources & loot, no major worries about starting/ keeping fires going), BUT I can see a clear sense for using them in these situations!

The whole "magically" appearing, never freezing water bottles and the drinking of toilet tank water are things I try not to think about too much while playing (I still can't eat the canned Dog Food, tho' - 🤢)

Edited by twyn1
clarification
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

I still can't eat the canned Dog Food, tho' - 🤢)

me either...  
but it does remind me of a funny story involving my dad.

a few years ago, my dad calls me and asks me to swing by our local deli and pick up his order of some imported French goose liver pate.   Oh and could I also go by the pet store and pickup some brand name catfood for his kitty as well.   I run my errands for him and get both the cat food and the expensive goose liver pate.  

Turns the cat's Fancy Feast Seafood Treat catfood and the expensive imported French goose liver pate is packaged in pretty similarly looking small golden containers....

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

me either...  
but it does remind me of a funny story involving my dad.

a few years ago, my dad calls me and asks me to swing by our local deli and pick up his order of some imported French goose liver pate.   Oh and could I also go by the pet store and pickup some brand name catfood for his kitty as well.   I run my errands for him and get both the cat food and the expensive goose liver pate.  

Turns the cat's Fancy Feast Seafood Treat catfood and the expensive imported French goose liver pate is packaged in pretty similarly looking small golden containers....

🐈 🥩 👍 !

😋 🐟 🤮 ?

😋 🐟 👍 ?

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2022 at 8:39 AM, Leeanda said:

Antiseptic! Maybe used it twice in over two years!  Not including story mode of course, those pesky prison wolves were everywhere!! 

Mushrooms are pretty much useless too!

I have to strongly disagree.

Antiseptic and mushrooms are a LIFE SAVER. They saved my 610 looper character countless times. Over the run i had 2 stomach parasites (that is 40 reishi teas for you for one infection) not to mention heat and calories wise but i tend to save them when i get infected and keep em in every base i have. I use antiseptic all the time bcoz i get bit by a bear or wolf when i fail to shoot them or get mauled by bear (a week ago BORIS the bear mauled me even with 2 arrows in his head).

Most usless imo? Purification tablets and spraypaint.

11 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

I have to strongly disagree.

Antiseptic and mushrooms are a LIFE SAVER. They saved my 610 looper character countless times. Over the run i had 2 stomach parasites (that is 40 reishi teas for you for one infection) not to mention heat and calories wise but i tend to save them when i get infected and keep em in every base i have. I use antiseptic all the time bcoz i get bit by a bear or wolf when i fail to shoot them or get mauled by bear (a week ago BORIS the bear mauled me even with 2 arrows in his head).

Most usless imo? Purification tablets and spraypaint.

Well I'm a pilgrim player so the chances of a mauling are very unlikely and parasites are off on the settings.  I was once close to getting mauled by a bear ,I was practicing my archery and got very close to one ,after about 10 arrows in it ,it turned on me  but luckily the last shot killed it . It was less than  2 metres away!  But apart from my wolf challenge I've not used them in nearly three years! 

Actually I now think that the vest and noisemakers are also a close run as most useless. 

Spray paint is good for map marking,comes in handy for marking cache locations or points of interest! 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well I'm a pilgrim player so the chances of a mauling are very unlikely and parasites are off on the settings.  I was once close to getting mauled by a bear ,I was practicing my archery and got very close to one ,after about 10 arrows in it ,it turned on me  but luckily the last shot killed it . It was less than  2 metres away!  But apart from my wolf challenge I've not used them in nearly three years! 

Actually I now think that the vest and noisemakers are also a close run as most useless. 

Spray paint is good for map marking,comes in handy for marking cache locations or points of interest! 

Oh i see now.

Spraypaint - i know all maps by hear , every detail so i dont need it. Even on Looper i think Noissmakers are usless as well so yeah.

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Noisemakers aren't useless they are the best thing for scaring timberwolves in the whole game and the best is good if your getting attacked by something but have no way to scare it

30 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Noisemakers aren't useless they are the best thing for scaring timberwolves in the whole game and the best is good if your getting attacked by something but have no way to scare it

Torches work just as well and once you have a fire torches can be pulled en maxed. Noisemakers require gunpowder which is rare and has better uses for it!