Question about Interloper

Shadox

2 hours ago, Shadox said:

Are there really no possible Longjohn spawns in the Clothing Containers on Loper?

Yep, it's true! The wiki on the Tail Section has a spoiler-filled breakdown of what you'll find in each container, none of which contain any thermal underwear on Interloper.

(Also, if you want to insert a quote, highlight the text of the user's post you want to insert and it'll give you a quote option. Hope you find that useful!)

• Upvote 1

Alright, ive got another Question. Played my Loper again, Day 112ish now. Been everywhere except HRV (no need since i found a mackinaw in Signal+Hunting Lodge), BI for obvious reasons and Blackrock yet. Im really tempted to go Blackrock for Noisemakers, tryed them on my Stalker save and theyre fun. But unlike on my Stalker, i cant think of any other use for Gunpowder, and you still find the Mats for it on Loper. Even found a can of it in the Spence Safe. I rarely need Accelerant and Lamp Oil is a renewable Source.

How hard is Blackrock in Loper? Is it advisable just for the Noisemakers? I explored the most of it in Stalker, so Noisemakers are really the only reason i'd go there (despite swearing to myself i wont visit Timberwolf Areas in Loper).The reason i want them is that i was reading they dont use a Match to ignite and they can also scare charging Bears and Mooses. And if hit properly, even kill them. Not worth for Stalker, Ammunition is much preferable imo, but they seem to be a nice tool for Interloper. I have only 8 Flare shots left and i think i would need them to deal with the Timberwolves there. Found packs of 5 of them on my Stalker save, defending was already hard enough even with Revolvers... and my Stalker had like 10 blue Flares, while i found only a single one so far on Loper. Gonna make things extra difficult. But getting a few dozens extra get-out-of-jail-cards for Bears and Moose might be worth it. What do you think?

Wanted to keep every 10 Flare gun shots for this Area, but needed one for a Bear emergency, and another one since i had a Moose waiting for me down the climb in Ash Canyon... :P

Edited by Shadox
Typo

28 minutes ago, Shadox said:

Alright, ive got another Question. Played my Loper again, Day 112ish now. Been everywhere except HRV (no need since i found a mackinaw in Signal+Hunting Lodge), BI for obvious reasons and Blackrock yet. Im really tempted to go Blackrock for Noisemakers, tryed them on my Stalker save and theyre fun. But unlike on my Stalker, i cant think of any other use for Gunpowder, and you still find the Mats for it on Loper. Even found a can of it in the Spence Safe. I rarely need Accelerant and Lamp Oil is a renewable Source.

How hard is Blackrock in Loper? Is it advisable just for the Noisemakers? I explored the most of it in Stalker, so Noisemakers are really the only reason i'd go there (despite swearing to myself i wont visit Timberwolf Areas in Loper).The reason i want them is that i was reading they dont use a Match to ignite and they can also scare charging Bears and Mooses. And if hit properly, even kill them. Not worth for Stalker, Ammunition is much preferable imo, but they seem to be a nice tool for Interloper. I have only 8 Flare shots left and i think i would need them to deal with the Timberwolves there. Found packs of 5 of them on my Stalker save, defending was already hard enough even with Revolvers... and my Stalker had like 10 blue Flares, while i found only a single one so far on Loper. Gonna make things extra difficult. But getting a few dozens extra get-out-of-jail-cards for Bears and Moose might be worth it. What do you think?

Wanted to keep every 10 Flare gun shots for this Area, but needed one for a Bear emergency, and another one since i had a Moose waiting for me down the climb in Ash Canyon... :P

The noisemakers are useful on interloper but there's obviously a limited supply.  Better saved for emergencies like when you get pinned down by a pack of timber wolves.  As for bears and moose, direct confrontations are best avoided altogether. Either through avoidance, or killing them before they get a chance to attack you..  Especially that dang moose.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Shadox said:

IMO, the flare gun is not the best tool for dealing with T-Wolves.  The ammo is too precious.  It's a lot cheaper to walk with a torch and/or build a fire and keep tossing torches at them.  Hitting them with a torch will lower their morale and the pack will eventually scatter for a short while, allowing you to get by the areas in which they are located.  Of course, the best bet is to just avoid them if at all possible.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

The noisemakers are useful on interloper but there's obviously a limited supply.  Better saved for emergencies like when you get pinned down by a pack of timber wolves.  As for bears and moose, direct confrontations are best avoided altogether. Either through avoidance, or killing them before they get a chance to attack you..  Especially that dang moose.

Yep, i usually have no Problems in killing Bears. Got Archery 5 and it takes only 1-2Shots. Still need the bear bedroll, therefore im gonna hunt at least 2 more. Its always nice to have a Plan B if things go wrong, and the best Plan B for those are flare gun shells. But theyre also required for Timberwolfs on Loper, trying to bow them looks like either suicide or a giant waste of Arrows to me. And i dont actively hunt Mooses after the first for the Satchel. Exception was the (second)one next to Mountaineers Hut in TWM, just because i can leave the Hide there in Case i want to change things up for some reason and use Bear+Moose Coat instead of double Bear. Its like 10seconds away from Shelter. Aside of that, im not gonna risk a few Arrows for 10 Days of Fishing or Cabin Fever :P

Carry them for safety isnt necessary for hunting the bear in milton or around misanthrope, since you can backup into the cars or fishing hut. But i thought i should probably get the noisemakers as long i have Flare gun shells, since i found a single blue flare in the entire game so far. And everything else to deal with timberwolves seems either too risky or not available on interloper

1 minute ago, Shadox said:

Yep, i usually have no Problems in killing Bears. Got Archery 5 and it takes only 1-2Shots. Still need the bear bedroll, therefore im gonna hunt at least 2 more. Its always nice to have a Plan B if things go wrong, and the best Plan B for those are flare gun shells. But theyre also required for Timberwolfs on Loper, trying to bow them looks like either suicide or a giant waste of Arrows to me. And i dont actively hunt Mooses after the first for the Satchel. Exception was the (second)one next to Mountaineers Hut in TWM, just because i can leave the Hide there in Case i want to change things up for some reason and use Bear+Moose Coat instead of double Bear. Its like 10seconds away from Shelter. Aside of that, im not gonna risk a few Arrows for 10 Days of Fishing or Cabin Fever :P

Carry them for safety isnt necessary for hunting the bear in milton or around misanthrope, since you can backup into the cars or fishing hut. But i thought i should probably get the noisemakers as long i have Flare gun shells, since i found a single blue flare in the entire game so far. And everything else to deal with timberwolves seems either too risky or not available on interloper

... but you're not going to be hunting the T-Wolves in Blackrock... you just want to get by them to the Mine to get the Noisemakers, right?  Might I suggest you take a peak at a streamer who is on Loper and who started in Blackrock and watch how they deal with the T-Wolves using torches (before they even have a bow or a flare gun).  It's a strat that does work to buy time to get by them if they happen aggro on you.  You're also going to come into the corner of the region that's not too far from the mine, so you should be able to get in and get out without encountering too many of them.  Perhaps start a file on an easier difficulty to become familiar with the map and the wolf spawns along your intended route to the mine from The Keeper's Pass.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

IMO, the flare gun is not the best tool for dealing with T-Wolves.  The ammo is too precious.  It's a lot cheaper to walk with a torch and/or build a fire and keep tossing torches at them.  Hitting them with a torch will lower their morale and the pack will eventually scatter for a short while, allowing you to get by the areas in which they are located.  Of course, the best bet is to just avoid them if at all possible.

Really? Torches are working against them? Im feeling like a complete noob now, i thought only blue flares will keep them at bay, no red flares, torches and campfires. Always thought of them like a pack version of aurora wolves in that regard. So... if torches work, will the red flares as well? Thats a amazing tip, thanks alot! I remember the weather of blackrock being complete shit, even in stalker, having fire+torches around will surely be mandatory in loper. That would indeed make for a cheap way to handle them.

I dont think im currently able to avoid them, was there only on time on Stalker. No wintermute so far. Therefor map knowledge isnt good enough...yet

6 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

... but you're not going to be hunting the T-Wolves in Blackrock... you just want to get by them to the Mine to get the Noisemakers, right?  Might I suggest you take a peak at a streamer who is on Loper and who started in Blackrock and watch how they deal with the T-Wolves using torches (before they even have a bow or a flare gun).  It's a strat that does work to buy time to get by them if they happen aggro on you.  You're also going to come into the corner of the region that's not too far from the mine, so you should be able to get in and get out without encountering too many of them.  Perhaps start a file on an easier difficulty to become familiar with the map and the wolf spawns along your intended route to the mine from The Keeper's Pass.

Ahh yeah, i could test the map on another save. Ofc i wont hunt the T-wolves for fun, but they always come back like seconds after you scare them. Couldve been the extra high aggression on stalker tho. Blue flare drop + shooting them dead was how i got rid of them on stalker. But since they take a few arrows and run, that tactic looks like a bad idea in interloper. Will for sure try the torches!

Agree with post above that using flare gun is not necessarily a good strategy. Flare shells are the most valuable ammunition. I am not even sure how the flare gun will work on T-wolves. They might lower the pack morale a bit, but you’re not likely to drop a T-wolf in 1 shot or anything.

If you just want to lower pack morale a more efficient method is to build a campfire and chuck torches at the wolves. The campfire will hold the T-wolves at bay. The campfire does act as a deterrent. Checkout some vids on YouTube to see how Twolves react to torches/fire.

My one suggestion is to bring lots of arrows to Blackrock (if you decide to go — personally I think it isn’t worth it). Like 30 arrows is not overkill. Those suckers will run off with your arrows. You might lose an arrow for every T-wolf that you kill.  Also bring a 100% condition bow. You might miss 4 shots for every hit that you make — each missed shot will deteriorate your bow.

Edited by ChaosInEquilibrium
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Shadox said:

Really? Torches are working against them?

You can also just light a torch while you back out of their designated territory as shown by a forum member a while back. Though make sure to turn to face each t-wolf as they charge or they'll ignore the torch barrier.

9 hours ago, Shadox said:

How hard is Blackrock in Loper?

It's a horror show but a very fun and challenging one. There's little non-hostile wildlife on the map so preferably bring a small stock of deer-hides for repairs and cattails for a week. Go there well-fed so you can bring more coal to the map than you think you'll need. A couple of stims is a good idea as usual and a pile of prepared reishi. But you already did the best possible preparation which is exploring the map on another difficulty level.

Good luck!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, manolitode said:

You can also just light a torch while you back out of their designated territory as shown by a forum member a while back. Though make sure to turn to face each t-wolf as they charge or they'll ignore the torch barrier.

It's a horror show but a very fun and challenging one. There's little non-hostile wildlife on the map so preferably bring a small stock of deer-hides for repairs and cattails for a week. Go there well-fed so you can bring more coal to the map than you think you'll need. A couple of stims is a good idea as usual and a pile of prepared reishi. But you already did the best possible preparation which is exploring the map on another difficulty level.

Good luck!

Good tip with facing them, you saved me a nasty surprise! Like 600 Hours played in TLD and still i learn some new things in this Forum.. i knew walking backwards and facing wolves works for normal ones, but i thought T-wolves will jump and rape you regardless :P I have around 150 cattails in storage, could gather alot more if i visit HRV before. And enough arrows but since saplings spawn so infrequently on the CH beach, i dont want to lose more then like 10 or so. I want to see if i can survive 1000 Days in Loper :DReishis for warming up + extra calories, or in case of infection? I cant recall if there is alot of lichen in Blackrock.

Lots of thanks to all the People answering and giving nice Tips! Amazing community!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadox said:

Good tip with facing them, you saved me a nasty surprise! Like 600 Hours played in TLD and still i learn some new things in this Forum.. i knew walking backwards and facing wolves works for normal ones, but i thought T-wolves will jump and rape you regardless :P I have around 150 cattails in storage, could gather alot more if i visit HRV before. And enough arrows but since saplings spawn so infrequently on the CH beach, i dont want to lose more then like 10 or so. I want to see if i can survive 1000 Days in Loper :DReishis for warming up + extra calories, or in case of infection? I cant recall if there is alot of lichen in Blackrock.

Lots of thanks to all the People answering and giving nice Tips! Amazing community!

You could also make a quick trip into one of the zones with birch bark to gather up a supply for healing teas.  They also provide calories and warmth and the birch bark respawns, so you won't actually run out of it.   Blackrock has cat tails, reshi mushrooms, lichen, and rose hips; but it does not have any birch bark that I found, so you'll have to bring it in with you.

Also, if you want to be able to make more than the small supply of noisemakers you can pick up in the mine, you'll have to use an ammunition workbench in survival.  This means braving the gas in this mine to get the code or heading into Bleak Inlet to open the workshop there.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

Yeah i love Birch Bark tea. 30% hydration, almost as much calories as a cat tail, grants warming up buff, 5% heal and is renewable. Will be very useful to get some health back there. I have my main base in CH on all saves, nearest birch bark spot is ravine (i think) but it usually yields 6-8 pieces. Im not too worried about the gas, my Stalker had no problems sprinting through and its a pretty linear corridor. My stalker has better sprint than my loper because of double exp parkas instead of bear coat, but i had like 5seconds left. I reserved a stim for that part on my loper, still have some of them left since i did TWM and Ash canyon in midgame and used only coffee for the climbs.

3 minutes ago, Shadox said:

Yeah i love Birch Bark tea. 30% hydration, almost as much calories as a cat tail, grants warming up buff, 5% heal and is renewable. Will be very useful to get some health back there. I have my main base in CH on all saves, nearest birch bark spot is ravine (i think) but it usually yields 6-8 pieces. Im not too worried about the gas, my Stalker had no problems sprinting through and its a pretty linear corridor. My stalker has better sprint than my loper because of double exp parkas instead of bear coat, but i had like 5seconds left. I reserved a stim for that part on my loper, still have some of them left since i did TWM and Ash canyon in midgame and used only coffee for the climbs.

The mine is relatively warm... wouldn't hurt to drop the bear coat on the upper floor, run the gas, take the elevator up to the top floor, pick up the coat, and then drop back down to the second floor to get the code.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shadox said:

Reishis for warming up + extra calories, or in case of infection? I cant recall if there is alot of lichen in Blackrock.

There's plenty of lichen, just bring a couple with you and you're good. Reishi is for warming up. You could always just make rose hip tea as there's plenty on the map, but I prefer to save those for future ribstomping-sessions and I'm kind of biased towards reishi tea. Birch bark is a splendid idea.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely recommend practicing with a lower difficulty to get confident with timberwolf encounter strategies using a fire and torches. It's far better to get comfortable with how to break a pack's morale or traverse their territory unmolested using a torch with a Stalker or lower game. Trying to do it for your first time on Interloper, while you're suffering hypothermia risk, in pitch black night with heavy snow, is just a recipe for agony.

Despite what many say, I think Blackrock is worth visiting on an Interloper game, if only to avoid the stale mid-game hump once you've already got clothing, tools, food and skills sorted. Yes, there's no unique loot that make the trip absolutely necessary, and it's got a lot of high risk encounters, but rising to the challenge is part of the fun. Like you said, it's nice to have something you can do with gunpowder other than waste it on a fire you weren't gonna fail anyway.

• Upvote 1

Gameplaywise its the same as throwing a blue flare, picking it up and throw again until they run, right? Weather on Interloper will be fun, Blackrock seemed to be comparable to PV weather wise. Freakin cold and lots of Blizzards. Interloper is like 10, 15 degrees colder than Stalker, and some of the buildings are broken and only partially sheltered. Might risk that 120 day interloper, but i need something to keep me entertained. For sure a good challenge, i was on the brink of death several times on Stalker. I just hope the Wolf Packs wont be as big as they are on Stalker. Having 6 Timberwolves repeatedly jump you and getting mini lags while the game saves is just annoying

You won't survive getting jumped so many times in loper without the ballistic vest. Since you know the map, just keep an eye out for climbable treetrunks and you'll be fine. While it's hard to hit the wolves from above you should have a decent amount of arrows. Though it's usually more beneficial to pull the pack to a constructed obstacle like the stairs at the radiohut. Or the wooden bridge by the blue trailer, it's basically made to kill off a pack with little hassle.

• Upvote 1