No Mirrors?

Willbonney

Howdy Folks,

Just wondering if there are any mirrors in the game. I have yet to find any in either Mystery Lake or Coastal Highway. Even though there I've found some bathrooms and a few real bedrooms, I have yet to actually be able to see what my character looks like in his or her clothes. This might be intentional, like to reduce on the artwork required for each individual article of clothing to be viewable on the character, and if that's so that would be disappointing to me. Call me vane, but I would like to see what "I" look like when running around in the snow. And indeed I probably am a fairly vane gamer, I'll often equip something on a game character more so because it looks good, than because it gives the best bonuses.

Anyone who says appearances don't matter are not being very honest.

I disagree, your look is not important, furthermore, it keeps you in the mindset of being the guy, that stranded pilot. Not drawing a graphical image "synchronizes" the outer look and your inner picture of that character.

Despite that, I'm not sure if the unity engine is even capable of complex reflection and so on, not into this too much.

Tho I understand your curiosity for the appearance with all these rags on sometimes :D

I like the mirror idea. It's logical that they'd be there and could be fun. (Good opportunity for additional voice lines too)

I'd be surprised if a modern game engine could not handle it, but, I am curious if it would look out of place-- there don't seem to be other 'shiny' textures that I can think of...

Ehm guys, haven't you notized that there ARE already mirrors in the game?^^

You can find them in almost every bathroom. They just don't show your reflection, I would agree with pikkue that it's probably because the engine can't handle it.

Here's a screenshot I made for you. This particular mirror is broken, others are just dulled. ;)

screen_174f8f51-daaa-4dca-8fd5-a03e9e9f1

Rather than not being able to handle it, I suspect the reflection has been left out to conform to the artistic style of the game.

Game engines have had reflection capabilities since at least the original Unreal in 1998. I'd be surprised (and somewhat disappointed!) if this engine could not handle it, but I defer to the devs of course.

Since the player doesn't have a body, it's hard to have a reflection... If you look down, you don't see your legs. Raph answered in response to a questions about bows and arrows that they would love to add them as soon as someone figures out how to shoot them without on screen hands.

I know that Unity can display a body for the player, I hardly think the reason for there not being a body is technical. It's a design choice Hinterland made. Personally, I think there should be a body. I don't mind about the missing reflection, but I'd like to be able to see that I'm standing in the fire I'm about to light... Little things like that.

Archived