No Bedroll or Snow Shelters Challenge

Glflegolas

Hello folks,

Here's a challenge that I've been thinking of for a while now; is it possible to survive on Great Bear Island without carrying a bedroll? Now, I'm sure many of you are going to say "of course! You just need to know where they spawn naturally and plan accordingly". And you'd be right; there are guaranteed bedroll spawns throughout Great Bear, even on Interloper.

However, what if I take this challenge one step farther: I can't use any bedroll I find, and I can't make or use snow shelters either -- only actual beds (stick beds do count IMO). Furthermore, once I enter a region for the first time, I can only leave said region after 14 days (I will exclude transition zones for time's sake).

This challenge should be fairly easy across most of Great Bear, though things could get hairy in Forlorn Muskeg (only bed is in Spence), Ash Canyon (loads of climbing), Timberwolf Mountain (can only sleep at the Mountaineer's Hut), but especially Hushed River Valley, where sleeping will be impossible. Guess I'll need to save up loads of coffee for that one!

What difficulty do you think would make sense? I am thinking either Stalker or Voyageur.

Honestly, with the exception of that admittedly very intriguing HRV bit (more of that towards the end of the post!), I don't think this sounds much of a challenge to me at all. Especially since beating off Cabin Fever risk is very easy. You don't even need outdoor cave for it, just a wind-covering wall and a fire and you just stand there passing time (or doing whatever mundane chores like breaking torches to sticks or crafting reishis). Or better still go to a fishing cabin and fish while you kill of time with your proof protected fire. On lower difficulties like Stalker and below you don't even need that fire, just keep passing time there in the snow by the door. Or depending on wind direction, switch to the side of the house where the wall protects you from it. Even if you eventually somehow start taking excess damage, just go back inside for an hour and come back outside passing time. Repeat it... It's like laughing to the face of Cabin Fever. Your clothes will detoriate a bit more when you do this thing for longer periods of time but who cares as there is almost endless supply of cloth and animal fur available.

Forlorn and Timberwolf technically do not have indoor-indoor locations but they have wind-covered fireplaces with beds next to em where you can take fearless 12 hour naps. So as long you have something to burn there is absolutely no problem in staying in either of those for weeks and weeks. Especially FM since the map is so compact in size and there's a cave with respawning coal not so far. Both have good stick spawns next to the houses too. Furthermore once you do decide to go after the 14 days have expired, both have easy access to more houses. ML and BR are obviously very near to FM forge and PV bunker is within five minute walk from Mountaineers. The AC ground level cabin isn't far off either.

Ravine, Winding River qnd Crumbling Highway have nothing in terms of indoor beds of course but without the 14 day rule you can easily walk through both in no time. Also, Milton basin has the same case as with FM and TWM.

Now, as said the only place where this challenge could realistically lead to actual problems would be HRV. Normally, the Milton trailer near to the HRV cave entrance isn't that far off, and you can do a day trip from there whether you have bedroll or not. Also excluding the 14 day rule and just speaking generally, the actual % damage you take from lack of sleep itself is very slow and minimal so even if you end up uber exhausted at the back end of HRV you shouldn't end up dying with proper strategy... unless you are playing Deadman or if there's a massive headwind blizzard and you succumb to effects of it. I guess rope climbs could theoretically be problematic but that's why you have stims with you, if not coffees.

BUT i we do go the 14 day rule of yours, well then it is a challenge indeed. You would need a million coffees indeed, there is no denying that. In fact, I would leave HRV as last place to go in order to have those hordes of coffees with you.

All in all, snowshelter-sleeping-only challenge is much more intriguing to me, that's an actual challenge. HOWEVER, 14 days in HRV without any sleep whatsoever does sound interesting to me, that thing would be nice to experience on harder difficulty. The coffee hoarding process for it could be quite tedious on Loper loot tables but then finally actually going there, hmm...

Edited by Mistral

Hmmm... maybe I should change this challenge from the "No Bedroll or Snow Shelters Challenge" to the "No Sleeping for 2 weeks in Hushed River Valley Challenge".

My strategy for this would be to get as much coffee as possible. Each coffee restores 10% of the fatigue bar, so to last for 14 days and have a decent amount of energy each day would require 140 cups (that's 28 tins). Coffee isn't too hard to find usually, but still, that's a LOT of coffee... are there even that many tins on all of Great Bear in Interloper? Even in Stalker getting that much coffee wouldn't be too easy.

For added challenge, I could consider turning off condition regeneration except during sleep.

13 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

but especially Hushed River Valley, where sleeping will be impossible. Guess I'll need to save up loads of coffee for that one!

lol, I like the idea but I think HRV would be impossible to stay 14 days.  speaking of difficulty level and loot table variances, even if you scoured the island and saved every coffee can and coffee cup you could find along with every energy drink and stim pack you could find in Pilgrim mode I don't know if you would have enough to stay awake for 14 days straight.  maybe, 9 or 10 days at best. maybe with a stretch of good luck 12? 

been a while since I explored HRV, but isn't there at least one makeshift bed in one of the caves in HRV?  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

lol, I like the idea but I think HRV would be impossible to stay 14 days.  speaking of difficulty level and loot table variances, even if you scoured the island and saved every coffee can and coffee cup you could find along with every energy drink and stim pack you could find in Pilgrim mode I don't know if you would have enough to stay awake for 14 days straight.  maybe, 9 or 10 days at best. maybe with a stretch of good luck 12? 

been a while since I explored HRV, but isn't there at least one makeshift bed in one of the caves in HRV?  

I'm pretty sure one could (try to) do the famous Loper starvation technique with fatigue meter too, and extend the lifespan of coffee consumption greatly... just drink birch barks on the side to offset the damage loss. 

As for the makeshift bed, he specifically mentioned only actual beds.

Edited by Mistral

26 minutes ago, Mistral said:

As for the makeshift bed, he specifically mentioned only actual beds.

actually I do believe he said stick beds do count.  stick beds being the kind you find in caves?  

14 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

... (stick beds do count IMO).

stick beds are the one's you find in caves, yes?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

actually I do believe he said stick beds do count.  stick beds being the kind you find in caves?  

stick beds are the one's you find in caves, yes?

Oh I read it wrong. Well then all of this is extremely easy and no problem at all.

10 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I guess we could change the challenge into a "no sleeping anywhere" challenge, and remove the regional restrictions. From a fresh spawn, how long do you think you could survive on Great Bear without sleeping at all?

One can try to use Birch bark teas instead of coffe (or mix it). Fatique cause 1% cond loss/hrs, a birch bark tea can replenish 5% cond. So 14 Days continously wakefullness  can managed by 14*24/5 = 67 birch bark tea, thats about halfs of the needed coffes (and maybe easier to acquire 67 BBT than 140 cofee)!

Edited by Jalos