so many questions about steam?

piddy3825

3 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

hmmm...

ok, plausible.  did they actually say that in the game and I missed it?

no they didn't say 

ingame or otherwise

was mostly joking

and yes, it feels like (and we know the tunnels are around 100yo) someone down there is prob still shoveling coal into some burner and hiding while we come through yoinking all the levers xD

just seemed kinda logical, as far as logic works in tld and yes those doors should prob have completely locked down days or weeks ago

maybe that sequence is all about them not being able to start it up again?

it works for me, introduction to the steam tunnels and so on...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It would have been easy to start a fire in a boiler house to produce the steam in the first place. For me the burning wall lanterns were hard to accept.
Turned off lanterns, still filled with fuel, would be possible but burning ones - for days/weeks? Or maybe Lance was not eager to conserve fuel after visiting the place...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mfuegemann said:

It would have been easy to start a fire in a boiler house to produce the steam in the first place. For me the burning wall lanterns were hard to accept.
Turned off lanterns, still filled with fuel, would be possible but burning ones - for days/weeks? Or maybe Lance was not eager to conserve fuel after visiting the place...

I had the same reaction when I saw the burning oil lamps!  yeah, Will should have had to fire the boilers in order to produce the steam.  They said the steam tunnels were over 100 years old and I thought to myself how could they still be burning without being maintained?  definitely a continuity breakdown in the story line if you ask me.
That's why it kinda made sense when @camel suggested geothermal steam activity.  But then if that's the case we would have had other evidence of hotsprings elsewhere on the island, I would presume.  I always thought that HRV should have had hotsprings in it given all those constantly flowing waterfalls and such.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, mfuegemann said:

love the idea, and we had something similar done already when we fixed the spear
when the furnace was hot enough the timer went away... 

3 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I had the same reaction when I saw the burning oil lamps!  yeah, Will should have had to fire the boilers in order to produce the steam.  They said the steam tunnels were over 100 years old and I thought to myself how could they still be burning without being maintained?  definitely a continuity breakdown in the story line if you ask me.
That's why it kinda made sense when @camel suggested geothermal steam activity.  But then if that's the case we would have had other evidence of hotsprings elsewhere on the island, I would presume.  I always thought that HRV should have had hotsprings in it given all those constantly flowing waterfalls and such.

it depends, the tunnels were used by the staff to maintain the prison, that's obvious

so the burners and lamps would be burning for a few weeks probably... still a stretch

i'd like to argue that mathis' goons went down there regularly to try and pry things open... but even that would leave the innermost lamps unexplained - and judging by their introduction i think it's highly unlikely they went all the way to the powerplant to get down the other side...

and the other question, could/would your trust them to maintain the burners? on the one hand they might freeze upstairs - on the other hand thats hours and hours of hard labor every day

yet i can understand why the decision was made gameplay wise - for tld thats a very new area unlike anything we saw up to this point, while keeping in mind that wintermute tends to be more forgiving/easier than the sandbox (looking at you forest talker cache in the mine) having some lights would def. help the orientation of less experienced survivors

in addition: afaik great bear island is located in or close to the bering strait, so geothermal vents could easily be a thing (ring of fire and so on) especially after the many earthquakes we all observed

Edited by camel
  • Upvote 1

I loved the lamps, but I figured they were running off of some sort of secondary gas line that had not been damaged. Are the boilers somehow connected to the hydro-electric power plant (would not need to be aurora related)?  There's a lot of noise and energy in that building and without being able to access the lower floor, it's hard to tell what was going on in there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I always thought that HRV should have had hotsprings in it given all those constantly flowing waterfalls and such.

Imagine jumping into a hot pool of water, curing Your several frostbite warnings while looking out through the rising fog. And maybe that at sunset.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, twyn1 said:

...Are the boilers somehow connected to the hydro-electric power plant (would not need to be aurora related)?  There's a lot of noise and energy in that building and without being able to access the lower floor, it's hard to tell what was going on in there.

Seems fairly redundant that they would construct a state of the art hydro electric facility only to use it to make steam in order to service the old locking mechanisms.  However, the idea has some merit in that it would be feasible to use hyrdro electric power in place of coal fired boilers as power production would not be reliant on mere men shoveling coal into a 100 year old furnace.  The obvious down side was that they did say that the power grid was separate and it still didn't work unless the aurora was present.  Either way, I would have enjoyed the boiler mission more if Will were to have been required to relit the fires in order to heat the boilers to produce the steam.  just would have made way more sense

• Upvote 3