The single Episode 2 moment that made me ragequit after 20+ hours of fun [Spoilers]

Killerlamm

After 20+ hours of enjoying the game and apart from a few wonky moments not being bothered by anything too hard, getting thrown out of Jeremiah's hut after the bear fight screwed me over so hard I just quit the game. I don't know if my playstyle is unintended by the devs but this seems like a major oversight: Jeremiah's hut was a dropoff point for all kinds of supplies for me, also I had lots of pelts curing in there. When I got thrown out of the hut unannounced, all the stuff I had in there got put into my inventory and now I am standing in the cold with 60+ kgs of gear, not able to move and will probably have to leave lot's of stuff behind, especially the half cured pelts that I would have crafted stuff with an ingame day or two later. I don't see any game design or narrative neccessity in forcing the player to leave at that point instead of on their own terms. Once I calm down I will probably sort through it and ferry my stuff to the Camp Office, but either this is an unintended oversight or just pure hostile design, basically undermining my trust that the game won't unexpectedly and unnecessarily screw me over like that again. So my simple suggestion is: Maybe just not throw the player out? They will have to leave anyway if they want to progress the story, and not getting thrown out also allows players to finish any possible sidequests they had put off until then.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

This is story mode, not survival. You are on a mission to find answers and find Astrid, not on vacation.

There is a separate mode that you want for curing pelts, crafting whatever you want, exploring maps, and gathering supplies. Enter: survival mode.

Shouldn't story mode still make it possible to tackle the mission in the most prepared way possible? By the fact that the pelts were only half cured you should be able to tell that I was staying in the hut for a few days and not weeks. You are trying to retroactively justify an unnecessary problem with an easy fix. Also if the developers don't want you to explore the maps, explain side quests.

• Upvote 1

Story mode is more about learning how to play it , not surviving long term. However there is no rule to say you can't play it in you're own way. However long it takes. I myself spent quite a while roaming around, mainly cos I didn't want to do the towers or bear! You are not the first person who has lost gear in the cabin and it is kinda annoying.  

• Like 2

I deleted previous post and expanded in this one:

This is a natural problem a survivor runs into when playing wintemute. If you've spent some considerate time in survival sandbox and then tackle wintermute, there is a very strong possibility of chronic survitis flare ups during story gameplay. 

There have been rather severe instances of survivors not even being able to move when kicked out of Jeremiah's cabin due to accumulating too much useless junk along the way. 

We must remember, most of the stuff you hoard is not needed in wintermute. You are not to live there hundred days during the missions. It's all very quick once and done. Then move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

I deleted previous post and expanded in this one:

This is a natural problem a survivor runs into when playing wintemute. If you've spent some considerate time in survival sandbox and then tackle wintermute, there is a very strong possibility of chronic survitis flare ups during story gameplay. 

There have been rather severe instances of survivors not even being able to move when kicked out of Jeremiah's cabin due to accumulating too much useless junk along the way. 

We must remember, most of the stuff you hoard is not needed in wintermute. You are not to live there hundred days during the missions. It's all very quick once and done. Then move on.

Okay I get it, you are an elite speedrunner who can finish Wintermute with the bare minimum. That still doesn't justify unnecessarily screwing over other playstyles. If I managed to go 20 hours with my playstyle without running into any problems and then suddenly I get kneecapped like that, then that is obviously a communication problem on the game's part.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I understand the frustration. As I have made that slog to the Camp Office, painful inch by inch. Even multiple slop injuries, animal attacks, and blizzards on different difficulties, couldn't stop my stuburn hoarding self. More then once. Only to realize the GIANT storage box, attached to the side of the house. Yes, while still the thought of having to transfer in shifts was daunting, it proved better by far. Just had to prioritize things. Taking pelts, heavier stored food, extra materials and gear to drop off, (leave tools, fire starting stuff, carried food..) to return for after dropping the other stuff. That way when you go back, you just pick up gear you would probably carry anyway. 

I didn't fully appreciate this though, until I got to the trappers cabin the first time in survival mode. Because the outdoor storage box wasn't there. 

I truly belive that box is what the developers had in mind for someone who finds themselves in exactly that situation during Wintermute.

Whatever your style of Wintermute may be, you are fully entitled to it.

• Upvote 1

I get it.  I made the same mistake when I first arrived in Milton.  By instinct I set up my safe house and began to horde every stick, stone and piece of anything I could find without even realizing that I was playing survival mode when I was in story mode.  I re-started the episode and things went SO much more smoothly.

I'm sorry you got tossed out of the cabin like that.  May I suggest giving the game a break for a while and try coming back for another go another time.

Good luck!  :)

You're not meant to stockpile in this game mode, or even craft all that much. The only thing I can recall is smithing the spear back to it's former glory. The woman in milton teaches you to urban forage, but also to only take as much as you can carry. I can see your frustration being locked out of your supplies, but you're not meant to hold onto everything anyway. You're meant to follow the narrative not the loot. If you want the latter paly survival mode. I'm sorry you had such a poor experience.

There's an easy fix for this, just dump your hides and stuff in the cave to Milton. They should cure in there. You might have to make a couple of trips but it's really close.

Not saying I enjoy having the door slammed in my face but I kind of get it. Jeremiah is a loner army dude and we lost him his chance to get his msg out. He could have been nicer but he is a mountain man after all. At least we get our stuff back and don't lose it.