A Custom Option to Cancel Cooking Level 5

UpUpAway95

Self-explanatory.  I'd like a custom option to prevent the character from ever reaching Cooking Level 5; thereby leaving food poisoning and parasites "in play" for the entire length of the run.  This could also be done for other skills... e.g. Firestarting preventing the Level 3 and beyond from eliminating the need for tinder.  E.g. 2 Preventing the player from ever being able to fire the bow while crouched regardless of the skill achieved during the run.  Currently, there is no way to prevent these perks from being acquired... they are inevitable as long as the run lasts a sufficiently long time.  It would be nice to keep some of the early game challenges in play throughout long runs.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Sounds reasonable. This extends beyond just skills though so it would be nice if hinterland took a look at their game and have the option for the game get harder as you play instead of getting easier. This could fit into custom games nicely.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

You can still use tinder. Also, you can still get parasites from eating raw. You could try that!🐍🐉🐛🕷

Would definitely not be an adequate substitute.  Yes, one can volunatarily use tinder, but there is absolutely no benefit to doing so... i.e. no difference in the chance of failure.  An alternative would be to give an improved chance of success after Firestarting Level 3 for using tinder vs. not using it.  To accommodate it, they should then lower the chance of successfully starting a fire overall AND lower the chance of lighting a torch.

The way I read the Wiki, parasites only come from eating carnivore meat, wich a 75% innate chance of it causing parasites if it is raw.  You can test it for youself... I'm not about to.  However, this would allow people to disallow the incentive to stockpile ruined foods to eat later in the game.  People who want to leave it has is , of course, wouldn't be forced in any way to use this or any other custom setting.

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

Sounds reasonable. This extends beyond just skills though so it would be nice if hinterland took a look at their game and have the option for the game get harder as you play instead of getting easier. This could fit into custom games nicely.

I agree.  They could add several things in Custom that would make the game get progressively harder over time.  The current "world gets colder" and reducing wildlife spawns are not strong enough on their own to do that.  They could also allow players to increase difficulty (i.e. make individual settings harder) as they progress in the file save while still not allowing the player to make any of them easier than their starting settings.  This would enable the player to keep increasing the challenge of their save individually (i.e. in accordance with their own personal abilities and comfort in the game).