Feedback - Reasons to die

Orwell 1984

It would be interesting to see feedback about the reasons you die by according to survived period.

(running out of matches, cloth, sewing kits etc...)

I was not skilled enough to reach any of that level in the game, but the form I am interested is something like this:

Day 1:

10:33 Wolf attack!

10:34 Killed a Wolf

10:34 Experiencing significant blood loss.

10:34 At risk for infected wound.

10:51 You faded into The Long Dark...

In this case, I was not able to manage the consequences of a wolf attack, I was far from everything and had nothing on me.

Blizzards... Nr1 reason to die for me. The devs really overdid it in PV, several times in a row I waited out a blizzard, left the car/cave only to find myself 2 mins RT back in a blizzard, later I went down to 3% while harvesting a bear during a blizzard. For three days I am harvesting this bear now, I take a few KG, next blizzard hits, I run back to the fishing hut to warm up, rinse & repeat. I think there are still 15kg of meat left (had 39.3kg though, a real fatty :D).

Though it's only in PV a real issue, in the other two maps you can always find shelter rather quickly and there are no bears :D. There I usually die out of stupidity or inpatience, attacking a wolf by hand when not properly prepared and such.

wolves are the majority of deaths in the longdark 1:10 death ratio, thats blizzard:wolf death ratio..

I actually suggested something what may be of your interest, you can find it here:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=3844

Long story short: Hinterland collect the logs of fallen protagonists, and that way they will be able to sum up what cause the deaths mainly in the game.

And yes, that way you will be able to see a real accurate death ratio too :D

And yes, that way you will be able to see a real accurate death ratio too :D

Really looking forward to this. :)

I bet the majority of people in pre-d20 games die due to wolf attacks while later on (d150+) other "killers" like blizzards/lack of tools/recklessness arise.

I usually die because of my own stubbornness and impatience.

Last time I was mauled by a bear that attacked me two times in a row and ignored decoys. (I refuse to use the bug when hunting bears). Once I also died by falling off a small cliff (got attacked by a bear and was to impatient to bypass the cliff as I wanted to get home faster. It turned out that I would have done better to avoid jumping with 8% health).^^

And I had many near-death experiences related to blizzards.

However, until now I've been really lucky and survived these situations somehow (in many cases because of carrying around one piece of firewood and some tins of coffee :) ).

Don't you start with antiseptic and a bandage?

You are right, but consider you are out in the wild with pretty low condition in a storm, you have to decide if you go for it or stay low with a fire.

I had no chance, as soon as I could start the fire I was below 10% as I remember, and it couldnt heat me well enough.

Oh, I was perfectly aware of my 8% health, the devs already did a very good job regarding this. Anna is complaining about her condition every 20 seconds, you can hardly fail to hear that. :D

I just pushed my luck a bit to far, hoping I wouldn't fall down the small cliff but rather "climb down" some invisible wall (as it works with various other rocks/cliffs in the game). You see, it was nothing but my own impatience and recklessness that killed me. No dev could have prevented this, I just had to learn my lesson and I'm fine with it. :)

Oh, I was perfectly aware of my 8% health, the devs already did a very good job regarding this. Anna is complaining about her condition every 20 seconds, you can hardly fail to hear that. :D

I just pushed my luck a bit to far, hoping I wouldn't fall down the small cliff but rather "climb down" some invisible wall (as it works with various other rocks/cliffs in the game). You see, it was nothing but my own impatience and recklessness that killed me. No dev could have prevented this, I just had to learn my lesson and I'm fine with it. :)

A positive attitude is always appreciated!

And at least when you learn things this way, you'll be much more likely to remember it for next time :)

Keep surviving!

I know a reason to die... start a new game... get spawned in at 5:30am in fog and a snow storm... the only saving grace was that this was mystery lake and I know that map well enough that knew where i was after doing a 360... made it to the Trappers Homestead and had to lay down for a bit... if i had started on the Coastal Highway I would likely had frozen to death parts of that map can twist you around, pleasant valley would have been a restart

Archived