Time-based collectibles about ingame events (Survival Mode)

Istvan82

Sometimes I've wondered about what´s going on in the world while I'm walking around in the snow trying to survive. I mean, the situation in Great Bear island seems to be pretty obvious but what´s going on in the "mainland"?

So, maybe we could find some collectibles that would only spawn after a certain amount of ingame days that come from the mainland, so our knowledgle of global events could be built, adding more depth to the "silent apocalypse" part of the game. For example:

-A small sailboat could get stranded near DP Lighthouse (around day 30) after a blizzard, in the pockets of the frozen occupant we find a short journal describing him/her escaping from city-wide riots on a major canadian city.

-During an aurora around day 60, you can listen to an emergency broadcast from a governmental facility indicating that... well, there is no more government.

-A canadian Mountie & horse are killed by a bear near PV Signal Hill/FM Radio Towers around day 100, the trooper is carrying 3-months old orders that reveal several unsucessfull attempts to restablish communications across the country. We can find the mangled corpse near the closest bear cave after this date.

That´s just a few ideas but I think the general idea is there, to have a mechanism to get insight of events outside Great Bear island, after the First Flare. Hope you like it!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Or more indication of the dynamic world we find ourselves in. Around Great Bear.

Sure, I thought of this more to get insight of global events but could be a replacement for the NPC that has been suggested for Survival mode, so the actual Survival experience could be more dynamic (and, by the way, motivate players to revisit regions after fully exploring/looting them)

Edited by Istvan82

41 minutes ago, Istvan82 said:

Sure, I thought of this more to get insight of global events but could be a replacement for the NPC that has been suggested for Survival mode, so the actual Survival experience could be more dynamic (and, by the way, motivate players to revisit regions after fully exploring/looting them)

The OP has a great idea.
I have long wished for the addition of NPC’s as distant silhouettes around a distant campfire.
They would not be approachable in-game and we would only find clues and items at their abandoned campsites; but it would encourage us to explore in their direction, while maintaining the “Quiet Apocalypse” theme of TLD.
This idea for “Time Based Items” could use the “Unapproachable NPC Items” as a part of a new time-based game mechanic to encourage extended exploration of the regions.
:coffee:

4182820-campfire.jpg

Edited by s7mar7in
  • Upvote 2