does animals respawn?

Argeus

Yes:
Animals will respawn.  However, the frequency will depend on the frequency of deaths (the more frequently animals are hunted... longer the respawn time) as well as the base respawn timers set by the difficulty (or custom setting used).

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

Yes:
Animals will respawn.  However, the frequency will depend on the frequency of deaths (more more frequently animals are hunted... longer the respawn time) as well as the base respawn timers set by the difficulty (or custom setting used).

thanks have a nice day

14 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

How frequently the player has killed animals at a particular spawn point also influences the respawn timers.

So your'e saying its worth killing the wolves at the gas station by costal highway?

6 hours ago, starlin said:

So your'e saying its worth killing the wolves at the gas station by costal highway?

I'm mean you'd have to decide that... but part of how the game balances (I think to keep hunting interesting) is that if the player hunts an animal at a single spawn point... the spawn rates will begin to decrease a bit more than the "regular" spawn interval.  This apparent depletion, I believe is to encourage the player to draw from multiple sources of food rather than just sit and camp on one spot. 

So... in effect, one could use that to their advantage by slaughtering wolves constantly in an area with to get longer reprieves between respawns.  However, the player would have to be willing to use up the ammo (or bow and arrow condition) necessary in order to do that.

In spots where spawns are further reduced... overtime (presuming the area is left alone), the spawn rates eventually return to normal.

Ultimately only you will be able to determine if culling the wolves would be worth it for you...  :) but it certainly is an option you have available.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 12:02 PM, ManicManiac said:

How frequently the player has killed animals at a particular spawn point also influences the respawn timers.

So you're saying if I repeatedly kill a wolf every time it spawns, their spawn timer will decrease? 🤔

Edited by hozz1235

@starlin

I think that adding something that would effectively remove the wolves as a threat...  I feel it would ruin much of what I find fun and engaging about the game.

Right now, if you are wearing or carrying wolf, bear, or moose hide crafted items they (cumulatively) add to the chances that wolves will get spooked and flee when they detect the player.  However, I think that any more than this, would undermine the danger of wolves too much.

I don't see a need for it because wolves are already fairly easy to evade and avoid, provided the player is paying attention to their surroundings.  So, with that being said... I think that if the player isn't paying close attention... then I think it's fair (and better) if the threat of wolf attack is present and dangerous.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I don't see a need for it because wolves are already fairly easy to evade and avoid

Two thoughts:

1) Yes, wolves are easy to evade and avoid *IF* you're willing to give up on whatever you were working on and turn around instead. Sometimes that's just not feasible (or fun). Just saying...

2) I was thinking about something loosely related to this and I think the conclusion I came to applies here as well: this game is about survival, not world building. The things we would like to have like the "totem" idea speak more to "making a home" than to "surviving the night". Hinterlands has done nothing to dissuade this "world-building" way of thinking, however, because there is no "survive *until*". It's just "survive", in which case you *naturally* drift towards world building because there's no rescue or escape. (My personal thinklings were along the lines of "why can't I build something more long-term out of fallen trees, or even fell trees myself?" and "why can't I add a door, or just block the opening, to a hunters blind and hunt in safety?". These, too, are beyond surviving and into world building, I believe, and antithetical to the game, but without a true end goal, what else are you gonna do?)

54 minutes ago, straffin said:

1) Yes, wolves are easy to evade and avoid *IF* you're willing to give up on whatever you were working on and turn around instead. Sometimes that's just not feasible (or fun). Just saying...

I can certainly respect that you feel this way... but I can't agree with the assertion.

I don't think the first part of your statement is necessarily true.  I can't really think of any place on Great Bear that the player can't get to by at least two different routes (at least regarding the placement of hostile wildlife).  So, in my experience we don't ever "have to give up" on anything... just sometimes we need to find a better (or safer) way to get there if threats happen to be prowling around that day.  The challenge of having to think on one's feet is another thing I really love about the game... and I think adding more things that would just "ward off" wolves, would undermine what I currently consider valuable aspects of gameplay.

...I think it's a mistake to separate the survival and world building aspects of the game.  I'd say the game does both things very well.  The game is full of world building... there are plenty of things in the game world that serve as context to help inform the player more about the world and history of great bear.  Even if it's just a little bit of visual story telling.  Such as the teddy bear in a crib, sitting on a lightly bloodstained blanket/baby mattress... and there are dozens of these kind of subtle tableaux where the player can infer some interesting little stories that help give the location (and by extension the entire Island) its character.

Where we apparently differ is, that I don't ever want to feel safe on Great Bear Island.  I love the game for the struggle, which is part of the reason why I'm generally not in favor of things that would only serve to make life easier for the player.

I wouldn't want the game to be easier, I wouldn't want to feel safe in this game... I like having to struggle and eventually (if I'm good enough) earn my run's longevity.

54 minutes ago, straffin said:

My personal thinklings were along the lines of "why can't I build something more long-term out of fallen trees, or even fell trees myself?" and "why can't I add a door, or just block the opening, to a hunters blind and hunt in safety?". These, too, are beyond surviving and into world building

I think you maybe be getting the terms worldbuilding and base building a little confussed.  :)

"Worldbuilding: is the process of constructing an imaginary world, sometimes associated with a whole fictional universe.  Developing an imaginary setting with coherent qualities such as a history, geography, and ecology is a key task for many science fiction or fantasy writers."  **all things that I'd say Hinterland does very well.

As for base building... I've spoken on that before so I will just echo what I've mentioned in some of those other threads:

On 7/1/2020 at 12:58 AM, ManicManiac said:

Base Building:

Frankly I'm not in favor of this.
I think it makes things too safe and much too convenient.
I think part of the whole point is that we need to pay attention and be aware our surroundings (check for hostile wildlife before we start harvesting, crafting outside, or while making a long trip). 

I dislike the idea of being able to build things all over the place.  I think it would disrupt the very deliberate balancing that I think Hinterland achieves with each region.

I would support more options to customize the inside of a structure I suppose (since that wouldn't fundamentally change the gameplay), but adding what would effectively amount to or lead to base building?  No thank you, I think things like that would disrupt (if not ruin) the feeling of powerlessness that game goes out of its way to cultivate.  We the player (as a lone survivor) are unwelcome guests in a world that does not care if we live or die...  I think that adding things like "totems" to ward off wolves or other hostile wildlife... or things tantamount to base building would I think empower the player far too much. 

I mean nothing personal towards you... I'm just trying to convey why I don't agree with the idea that was put forth.  :)

Also, this has gotten a bit off topic... sorry about that :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I don't agree...

Oh yeah? Well, *I* don't agree that *YOU* don't agree... 😛 

Or, at least, I don't disagree with what you wrote here. 😄 

I did indeed mean "base building" on the part of the player versus "world building" on the part of the developer. Sorry for the syntactical slip-up.

I don't want it to be easier either... I just want to have a level of wolf between "mildly annoying" and "relentless killbot". And I'd like to break down an unused wooden bunkbed or pillow (on a bed) that I don't need. And, for Pete's sake, why can I not break down the planks leaning against the outside of the Camp Office like I can *every* *other* *plank* in the game? Oh, and I want to carry a three-stick-making branch to be broken down somewhere else. And... and... and...  🤣

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

@straffin

Fair enough.
If we don't agree, that's okay.  :)
We each have our perspectives.
For me, I prefer taking on the challenge of adapting my playstyle to find ways to better deal with the wolves (and other hazards of the the game), rather than wanting to change the game (thereby changing how everyone else must experience it).

As for having more options for customizing structure interiors... yeah, I already said I'd be supportive of that aspect of what you wrote.  Being able to move, rearrange, or even get rid of things inside a structure I don't think would fundamentally change gameplay... so I wouldn't be against that.  I just wouldn't want base building shoehorned in (like it was with No Man's Sky, Fallout 4, and so many others...)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1