Blacksmithing in TLD

Swope25

Howdy, I'm posting this topic because I have been thinking about blacksmithing in TLD (The Long Dark) I love it, it's not too unrealistic, but then not too realistic. But I think Blacksmithing can go even more into depth and add that much more to this amazing game. Blacksmithing is crucial when it comes to making your own tools, but we are never really given much more than three options to craft metal items. Their isn't a skill for it as well, and I know resources and time to model or work on this part of the game is super far off or maybe not even in the future, but I'd like to comment anyways and get it out there. It would be cool to see more makeshift tools like some crappy handmade crampons, a homemade pot smaller than the cooking pot we have, but one you can craft later down the line. Of course blacksmithing is quite simple, but when you get to complex angles and edges, like the makeshift knife, you'll need more experience and maybe even be able to craft better quality items and tools. I have just gotten into forging and I actually forged the knife from the game, load of fun and I think it can be more. Maybe a town with a proper forge and anvil for late game tools, ice picks, spears, maybe even some makeshift musket rifle as a one and done deal when shot. But of course knowledge of being able to craft tools could be like cooking, just keep cooking to become better or keep hammering till it works. One more thing before I go, maybe using leather gloves could help protect you from burns and handle pieces better when forging. that's all I got, thanks for reading, have a good one!

The knife I forged from The Long Dark IRL, had a lot of fun making it, thanks for all the hours of fun Hinterland.

Tldknife.JPG.60f90cadfa36c6b903944cb31df089cc.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Also, we should be able to forge a steel prod for a crossbow.  Crossbow could require 2x fir firewood, steel crossbow prod, 2 cured guts, quality tools, and workbench.

I'd love a crossbow! The more lethal it is the better!😁 Should stop a moose dead at 50metres!(I wish)!

Edited by Leeanda

On 9/14/2021 at 4:10 PM, mayimbe said:

It would also be good to obtain the metal separately, like this, it would also be good to obtain it from the mines in the same way that the pieces of coal come out, because pieces of metal also come out, as in any mine

The devs would be adding a whole crafting mechanic to do that - smelting.  I've never smelted anything, but I can tell you it's dramatically more labor intensive than cutting up a metal chair with a hacksaw.

It's hard to see why anyone would do it in a world with plenty of already refined metal lying all over the place.