Useable Hoods

SpanishMoss

Lots of clothing items have hoods, and some of them look very warm, but you can't ever wear the hoods. When you first make a wolf skin coat, you always think you are going to look like (ep2 spoilers)

Jerimiah when he gets mauled by the old bear, with his wolf head hood

. But you don't get to.

Unfortunately, all hoods are non-functional, I propose that is changed. When you equip a clothing item that has a hood, not only does it count for that clothing slot, it will also can count for the head slot. The hood will mostly provide a factor of the main clothing items' Wind Resistance, while having an even lower factor of Warmth (like 25% of the wind resistance, and 10% of the warmth).

To make this not OP, the hood cannot protect against frostbite risk, BUT it will reduce the speed at which you get frostbite, like ~15% slower. Also, only the outermost clothing item's hood can be used, and therefore only one clothing item may have its hood up at a time. The hood will also always be in the the outer most head slot, opposite an item like the balaclava. This limits its usability, to make it sometimes a helpful tool, but other times it may be worse than other options. If the clothing item has 0 wind/warmth, the hood does too. If the main item is wet/frozen, the hood will have the same % wet/frozen as the main item.

How the other stats of the hood work: Weight: when wearing the hood, a factor of the main clothing items weight is subtracted from that item, the amount removed is then the weight of the hood. Say you have a 3kg jacket, and remove 10% of that jacket as the weight of the hood, the jacket will now weight 2.7kg, and the hood will be 0.3kg. Waterproofness: Will be the same as the main item. Protection: -10% of the main items' protection, and add that to the hoods protection. Sprint reduction: always 0. Condition: the same as the main item, degrades at the same time as the main item.

Other: Taking off the main clothing item will also remove the respective hoods. if you put on a new clothing item overtop of an existing clothing item that has its' hood up, the hood of the under clothing item will be removed. The hood cannot be salvaged/repaired separately, when you open the action menu from the hood, you will get the main clothing item's menu. 

Suggestions?

-SpanishMoss

I've been in favor of more accessory items; provided they weren't too "over powered."  Specifically I'd imagine them to be equal too (or perhaps only marginally better than ear wraps), this way they would be more-or-less atheistic choices rather than being blatantly more advantageous.  Granted that means they would only be meaningful as a visual detail on our survivor's Clothing UI.

On 6/29/2019 at 2:23 AM, ManicManiac said:

Well now that I've read the Dev Diary, I may as well just get this on the table...

I kind of want a Timberwolf Cowl now.

1615072392_TimberwolfCowl.png.e7d9e9b960d4af0e320e7dafd76c9a08.png

:coffee::fire::coffee:
At the time I thought it might be neat if the Timber Wolves had their own unique pelts... and this is what I thought might be nice as an additional accessory option.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I gotta say, this seems very complicated for something that would have basically next to no effect on the game. In my opinion, I think it would be best if they just kept things the way they are. I have nothing against hoods per say, I think they look awesome. I agree that wearing a wolf head cowl as a headcover would be neat - but I dont think there needs to  be elaborate mechanics behind it. Just having it as a cosmetic choice would be good enough, afterall, this game is not a perfect survival simulation. 

And, quite frankly, this seems like a waste of time for the designer team, unless they have nothing to do (and I believe they always have something new to design). This would be a very neat Steam mod for cosmetics once the support is out for those. Props for the original idea, but I would prefer more attention was focused elsewhere :) 

Edited by Mroz4k

I agree, what I suggested is quite complex for a minor feature, but a nice one to have. I was mostly looking at the fact that you might not have a hat, but an expedition parka with a fluffy and warm hood, and it seems to be neglected. If the devs wanted a feature to add when they had no ideas, this one would be perfect. 

Granted, I don't think it's really a necessary change either (hence I framed it as being more for atheistic purposes).  As such it's a feature I could happily live without (I do think we have a good variety of clothing already).

I was merely saying that I think something like the Wolf Cowl might be a neat addition... but admittedly not a necessary one. :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:
@Mroz4k
Oh... good point.  Item skins would be a potential interesting idea for minor Mods/Steam Workshop later on down the road (if/when they opt for mod support).  :)

@SpanishMoss
The players do also currently have access to improvised head & hand coverings.  They can craft those in cases where they don't have those particular items.  They just cost a little time, some cloth, and a bit of wear on a sowing kit/fishing tackle.

Edited by ManicManiac