Climbing as a Skill

Old Hermit

My thoughts about Skills and progression: the bonuses obtained through skill improvement (calories bonus, no timber use, more critical chances, etc) are awards for using that skill many times, and not neccessarily a way to "make things easier", althoug they often really do.

So, i think Hinterland could award players that makes consistent use of rope climbing, mainly those who like to set homebase on mountaineering regions, through turning Rope Climbing as a skill itself (long time i thought that, only now i gathered courage to type it)

My suggestion:

Level 2: now u learned a knot that allows u to rappelling slide down the rope with safe, making down climbs a little faster

Level 3: u learned a knot that allows u to hold steady the climb (up or down) halting the tiredness bar and and getting "hands free" to browse the inventory, sip a coffee or just look around

Level 4: A military technique (forgot the name) that lets u climb down a cliff and then retrieve the rope. For those areas that u know u won't never go up again.

Level 5: Some rope grip improvement and/or calories reduction, reflecting being used to constant mountaineering activity. I know that Crampons already does it, but i mean an overall tolerance to mountain environment.

U would use only one of the options to level 2, 3 and 4, and it would be selected before a climb

Somebody mentioned attaching ziplines across ravines, but i think it would be a nightmare to implement, due the maps were not prepared to it.

that's my try to contribute with this already amazing game

I'm not a mountaineering expert or whatever, I just feel that the rope climbing is a underrated mechanic, and i'm trying to imagine a way to enrich it in some way.

Critiques welcome

• Like 1

As a skill that starts at Level 1 for every filesave (i.e. not a feat that carries over from save to save), I'd be in favor of this.

As an aside, I'm not convinced that the Ash Canyon map hasn't been prepared to it.  I keep looking at the slope down from Homesteader's Respite to the Destroyed Fishing Hut and that metal stand similar to the one at the Gold Mine and can't help but think it would be a perfect spot for Hinterland to string a zipline just for the fun of it.  The back entrance to the gold mine is another steep slope where I think they could conceivably be planning to insert a zipline.  I don't think we'll be allowed to string our own lines, but they could easily put a few into the world themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

As a skill that starts at Level 1 for every filesave (i.e. not a feat that carries over from save to save), I'd be in favor of this.

Yes, with a skill progression, like Cooking or Archery for example, maybe even with it's own books and manuals to be read.

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

As an aside, I'm not convinced that the Ash Canyon map hasn't been prepared to it.  I keep looking at the slope down from Homesteader's Respite to the Destroyed Fishing Hut and that metal stand similar to the one at the Gold Mine and can't help but think it would be a perfect spot for Hinterland to string a zipline just for the fun of it.  The back entrance to the gold mine is another steep slope where I think they could conceivably be planning to insert a zipline.  I don't think we'll be allowed to string our own lines, but they could easily put a few into the world themselves.

In fact. I didn't think on those metal stands O,O

Sorry to duplicate the post, but it seemed appropriate to the discussion here as well. 

What is being shown here in the concept art? Something that connects to the pulleys? Is it something that was abandoned by Hinterland, or something we will get in a future update after they get more player data from using the region? It just seems like Hinterland is already considering something similar to zip lines.

626F3211-7D38-490A-B562-EAB446A926A6.jpeg

Edited by The Ravages of Time
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Ravages of Time said:

Gönderiyi kopyaladığım için üzgünüm, ancak buradaki tartışmaya da uygun görünüyordu. 

Burada konsept sanatında neler gösteriliyor? Kasnaklara bağlanan bir şey? Hinterland tarafından terk edilmiş bir şey mi, yoksa bölgeyi kullanarak daha fazla oyuncu verisi aldıktan sonra gelecekteki bir güncellemede alacağımız bir şey mi? Görünüşe göre Hinterland halihazırda zip hatlarına benzer bir şey düşünüyor.

626F3211-7D38-490A-B562-EAB446A926A6.jpeg

This place isn't ash canyon, maybe it's a precursor to a new map or a new update. Who knows?