The Perseverance Mill is going to be Huge

trains342

Playing The Long Dark was a big dream to me and getting it on a Epic Games sail was a great steal, but for one of my first runs, I tried to get every map marked and mapped out and I had notice a few things and heard a few theories on it that needed to be talk about. 1) Railroad tracks connected to Perseverance Mills is a very likely once connected in Coastal Highway as there is a tunnel collapse that ends out of the blew, but the tunnel does not seam to be connect to Pleasant Valley. Also Broken Railroad has the maintance shed for the trucks, but the one engine is found in the region, but where are the other engines part of the railroad. There were many crashes across Great Bear but only one real loco, and two trams, it could be that Perseverance Mills has a engine shed/maintance or it is on the mainland. 2) Three many towns that really does not support the islanders that well, only one bank/ post office in Milton and the only garage in Coastal Highway, but no medical services anywhere across the island. It could be possible that Perseverance Mills is a major town with lots of places to explore. 3) There are many roads that lead to bloody no where or have no obvious where they go, which includes Bleak Inlet's Coastal Highway Terminus going North West, Mountain Town's North East Road, and a road that I am going to say is leading to Perseverance Mill is Desolation Point's Broken Bridge. This seems to be the best place where a road once connected the two areas. 4) The ending of Episode 3, we enter a location that seem to look like a revamp Coastal Highway, but the mine is not like the one you go if you enter it in sandbox. I have a theory that was Perseverance Mills is above the Desolation Point, under Ash Canyon on that coast line. 

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I always think about the services of Great Bear. Like, I am aware that it is a very independent island and we never get to see a significant portion of it, but there are countless vital services that just don't exist. For example:

• A ferry terminal. How did the inhabitants get here. Maybe with an...
  • Æroport. I guarantee not every one who wants to travel to the Island needs an amphibious ærocraft.
  • Fire department. They have the fire watch towres, but who will extinguish the fires?
  • A destination for the trains. You mentioned the train yard, but where would they be hauling their fraught to? A ferry terminal?

There is probably more, but these are the first that come to mind.

• Upvote 1

This topic inspired me to finish a project of mine, which basically tried to tie together the regions we already have in the game to what we know of. You are welcomed to take a look at it here:

It contains most of my opinions and theories that tie deep into logic and lore of the game, both of Sandbox and Story mode. From the map there, you guys will see how well the roads and the railroads actually connect. 

4 hours ago, Sammida said:

I always think about the services of Great Bear. Like, I am aware that it is a very independent island and we never get to see a significant portion of it, but there are countless vital services that just don't exist. For example:

• A ferry terminal. How did the inhabitants get here. Maybe with an...
  • Æroport. I guarantee not every one who wants to travel to the Island needs an amphibious ærocraft.
  • Fire department. They have the fire watch towres, but who will extinguish the fires?
  • A destination for the trains. You mentioned the train yard, but where would they be hauling their fraught to? A ferry terminal?

There is probably more, but these are the first that come to mind.

Indeed! And more then that, think Blackrock prison, where the Prison bus was headed/headed from. It is very likely that there is a port, either at Perseverance mills or on the opposite side, but what this post pointed out makes me believe its likely going to be at the Perseverance mills. Its very likely that this will be a port town, along with the airport, and it would be the central point of the connection to mainland for the island. Putting that into consideration, I imagine that somewhere to the side of Broken Railroad, where the maintenance shed is, is where there will be a deep forest, and quite likely the Blackrock prison the bus was headed from. The railway is used to transport cut logs from the island towards the where they would be ferried off the island. With that in mind, it makes sense for the maintenance shed to be on the opposide side from the railway then the ferry would be located. With that in mind, I think you are right, OP, there is likely going to be some sort of unloading station/depot for the railroad at Perseverance mills. This would put the maintenance shed to a location somewhere mid-railway or end-railway to do maintenance on the train engines in case it malfunctioned towards the loading area or along the way. 

I dont think there will be "airport", it is very likely that there is going to be some sort of small "airstrip" that mostly small bushplanes land on, like the one Will used. It is a common way to travel in this kind of Canadian wilderness. I believe it makes sense for the fire department to once again be in the Perseverance mills area if this is to be the staging point for the whole island. The train destination is probably going to be ferry, as log transports are traditionally done mostly by trains and ferries. It probably connects the loading and timber areas of the island to the main port.

• Upvote 3