Do wolves behave differently during the night?

GarlicPops

I rarely come out during the night and I rarely confront wolves when I do come out, I've read somewhere on the wiki that wolves become more aggressive during the night, with increased detection range and they might charge stealthily without barking or stalking. Is this actually a thing or is this information outdated? Do wolves behave any differently at all during the night?

The past couple of nights I've been out walking between places in Mystery Lake and have been pretty close to single wolves. No difference between detection range or aggressiveness that I noticed. Aurora nights are different, seems to be more aggro and shorter detection proximity. 

tHey HAtE tHE LigHt

from our own @ajb1978 on the Steam forum:

Aurora wolves have about double the detection range of regular wolves. They will notice you from much farther away and begin stalking you. I haven't noticed a difference in their detection rate if you're crouched, so it seems to be only if you're walking/sprinting.

Also, they seem to have more health than a regular wolf, and do more damage in a fight. Although that could be simple bad luck--I tend to avoid fights.

The flashlight will keep them at bay if you use the bright setting, but they will just stay just outside of pounce range, and you have to keep the flashlight trained on them. I heard it was supposed to scare them off, but that's never happened to me. They just wait patiently for the battery to run out, then pounce.

21 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

from our own @ajb1978 on the Steam forum:

I heard it was supposed to scare them off, but that's never happened to me. They just wait patiently for the battery to run out, then pounce.

Old post! Aurora wolves now do run off if you keep the flashlight bright setting trained on them for about 5 seconds.

• Upvote 2

@GarlicPops

This is just from my experiences:

• I know that the wolves' "detection radius" increases after dark.
  • They used to also "silently stalk" at night (that is to say they didn't bark, growl when they shifted to stalking behavior)... but I don't know if that is still the case.
  • Aurora charged wolves these days also "bark" pretty incessantly... and their roaming animations can look kind of jittery.

(a long ways back the aurora wolfs had a wonderfully eerie / slightly distorted howl that's gone now... I do really miss that, I kind of wish that would come back)

:coffee::fire::coffee:
There may be more differences but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On 1/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, ManicManiac said:

Good to know.  I've not used a flashlight in ages because of that.  :D

Uhh just be advised that bears are entirely unamused by it, even though their detection and aggression are amped up same as wolves. 

• Upvote 1