Do wolves eat cooked meat left outside, and do freezers inside of houses make meat and such last longer

Catlover

The long title sums it up, really.

For the first question, I killed a bear with over 30kg of meat and I'm storing it outside to make all of those steaks last longer. Though will it attract wolves and other predators, and will they eat it? My base camp is PV, right beside a pack of three (formerly 5 but I shot one and one bled out from a mauling) wolves, and others scattered around the farm. I really don't want to open the porch doors to see a dozen wolves eating my food and preparing to eat me.

The second is pretty simple. Do freezers found in larger buildings do anything to preserve meat for longer? I doubt it, but I just wondered if it was possible. 

Edited by Catlover

Wolves will only eat uncured gut and cooked or raw meat you drop as a lure, and you have to do it properly (i.e. walking away while it's still trailing you).  Meat left outside on its own will never be eaten by wild animals.

Freezers indoors count as indoor container storage.  Meat left in there will not spoil as quickly as meat left outside of a container, but it will spoil faster than meat being left outdoors on the ground or in a container.  An outdoors container has the slowest decay rate, but once the food reaches 0% it will disappear if in a container. Meat left outdoors on the ground will not disappear.

To my knowledge, storing meat outside does not attract predators. It is only when you're carrying meat that the scent aspect of the game comes into play.

Edited by wilsonaka
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, wilsonaka said:

Freezers indoors count as indoor container storage.  Meat left in there will not spoil as quickly as meat left outside of a container

Actually the only contributing factor is whether it's indoors or outdoors. It spoils at the same rate whether it's in a container or out in the open.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

From a roleplaying perspective I feel that leaving meat outside and not having it be eaten by the wolves breaks the realism, regardless of whether the game mechanics are on my side or not. I mean, those wolves have eaten my hat right off my head so many times, I'm sure they would not pass up a porch steak. I use car trunks as my chest freezers for meat storage. I loved the introduction of the spray paint so I could mark where to find my food stashes later!

Edited by BearIsland
apparently I can't spell "porch"