Nightvision goggles/binoculars

Pyroxene

Anything that is electronic (by current assumed canon) would not function except maybe during an aurora, but even then it would be of limited use.  I am not up on the state of the technology so assume it has to be powered in some fashion. 

10 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Cualquier cosa que sea electrónica (según el canon actual asumido) no funcionaría excepto tal vez durante una aurora, pero incluso entonces sería de uso limitado. No estoy al tanto del estado de la tecnología, así que supongo que tiene que ser alimentada de alguna manera. 

I do not understand why you say that it has to be powered in some way, or that they need auroras, night vision goggles and binoculars do not require any type of energy.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, mayimbe said:

I do not understand why you say that it has to be powered in some way, or that they need auroras, night vision goggles and binoculars do not require any type of energy.

Night vision equipment 100% requires power to use. How do you think the infrared sensors operate? They mostly run off of battery power which has been neutralized by the aurora.

Well...

I don't really see either being implemented TBH.

As pointed out above, NODS do operate on electricity. In the game setting, all electricity and electrical devices have been 'knocked out' by a massive solar flare. Sometimes at night, an aurora can occur and all electrical devices will miraculously begin to operate. So if you really did want a pair of NODS or something, they would only be functional during an aurora. The problem is, they wouldn't even be useful. We already have a flashlight that can be useful. I would definitely see myself passing up a big old bulky pair of NVG's, even if there was an aurora, and even if weight wasn't an issue I can't see myself sacrificing an accessory or headgear slot for it. Hell, I don't even carry a flashlight during one. I just stick with a lantern, which is useful at anytime. Another thing to consider is that Night vision devices only amplify a pre-existing amount of light. You can't use them to see in complete darkness. Something like a FLIR camera would be more useful, but even then I would pass it up for the aforementioned reasons above. 

Binoculars are plausible, but I wouldn't say I need them. There aren't too many long sightlines in the game that justify needing a zoom function.

• Like 1