Lampfuel from car tanks

Katsumoto

An Idea for every car tank:

needed: a hosepipe

action: click on the tank, open it, and fill the tank into your canister or bottle

ressource: lampfuel (between 0,11 and 2,2 lb/cartank)

You can allready open all cartanks... so why dont make them usefull? 😏

Greetings 😃

• Like 1

I've always wondered why we need to open the gas tank caps, too. But not when I didn't think to use gasoline as fuel for a lamp. An elementary sense of conservation instinct forces you not to use this type of fuel. Plus, as far as I know, there won't be enough light from this fuel.

In addition, you have fishing.

There are enough light sources in the game.

Conserving gas is a bad idea because it goes bad in under a year. If you were ever in a situation like the long dark you should totally use it as much as you want and can.

Edit------

I don't have fishing because I turn it off.

Edited by odizzido

3 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I know, its gasoline. But elementary you can use it also in lanterns ;)

Or in the Primus. What I have to say is that I like it much better. Although not advisable in this game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove

The Internet writes that gasoline in an oil lamp is dangerous. Explodes, causing a fire, toxic smokes strongly and weakly shining.  I understand that the game is full of conventions. But I bow to the fact that gasoline can be found more acceptable use. And without this, the game is full of light sources. It's also endless.

3 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

Or in the Primus. What I have to say is that I like it much better. Although not advisable in this game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove

The Internet writes that gasoline in an oil lamp is dangerous. Explodes, causing a fire, toxic smokes strongly and weakly shining.  I understand that the game is full of conventions. But I bow to the fact that gasoline can be found more acceptable use. And without this, the game is full of light sources. It's also endless.

hm, its not endless, because Cars arent ;) But you are right, its dangerous to do that.

I cant accept the useless car tanks :D 

@Willbonney

Thats myb another good idea. The Jimmy Cans can fill up with a maximum of 4 Liters. Fine for fire starting.

10 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I dont think, its going bad in the worlds temperature :D

Is that true? Gas doesn't freeze in TLD temperatures? I seem to recall gas I've left out for the winter has gone bad. I live in canada.

Edited by odizzido

5 hours ago, odizzido said:

Is that true? Gas doesn't freeze in TLD temperatures? I seem to recall gas I've left out for the winter has gone bad. I live in canada.

As far as I know, gasoline should be specially prepared for winter. But I think this is not very important in the game. If we assume logically, then all the gasoline in the game is already prepared. Another thing is that from one message from the computer it is known that many cars on the island are electric. In principle, if we can collect 5 liters, it will not break the balance much.

In the beginning the devs likely thought about what fuel would storm lanterns use and decided on kerosene instead of gasoline.  Given the expect short duration of story mode - I recall that the decay line was 100 days and was later changed to 1000 days after the wide-spread popularity of survival sandbox became evident - having literally gallons of fuel per car available for lanterns, torches, and fire accelerants, probably seemed wildly excessive.  

Having closed that door rather than open it - there can be quests that require supplies of gasoline - the devs came up with kerosene --> lamp oil and lamp oil could be harvested while cooking fish.  

Of course the devs could always reopen that door, but probably that is not a serious priority since there is a source of lamp oil for lanterns and other purposes already in the game. 

I would not be against being able to get gasoline for lanterns (and one may hope for Coleman camp stoves or equivalent) but I don't see the devs going to the trouble... hmmm December update and new gear...