Water Falls and non-pot

Willbonney

I feel a player should be able to gather non-potable water at water falls based on the size of containers one has, recycled cans or cooking pots.  That way cut the need to have to boil or could just use up those water purifier tabs to make some potable water.  They'd have to be close enough to the waterfall, and thus risking getting their clothes wet or whole body soaked, thus hypothermia risk.  Also, what they wear on their hands should always get soaked, so a smart player remove his gloves before doing so to keep his gloves dry.

8 hours ago, Willbonney said:

I feel a player should be able to gather non-potable water at water falls based on the size of containers one has, recycled cans or cooking pots.  That way cut the need to have to boil or could just use up those water purifier tabs to make some potable water.  They'd have to be close enough to the waterfall, and thus risking getting their clothes wet or whole body soaked, thus hypothermia risk.  Also, what they wear on their hands should always get soaked, so a smart player remove his gloves before doing so to keep his gloves dry.

Everything is a great idea except the container part. Water isnt collected inside containers, Water bottles appear everytime you start melting water.

so to counter the fact that we could take infinite quantities of water, I suggest that at the second you take water from a waterfall you loose heat really quiclly and you instantly get a frostbite risk that develops very quickly too (something like 25%/L or water and 30% without gloves to punish people who would think they would counter the wetness by taking off their mitts). 

I really like the concept you should be able to do that with the fishing holes when open. It would give new opportinities for interlopper and stalker i really liek that ! :) 

5 minutes ago, oplli said:

Everything is a great idea except the container part. Water isnt collected inside containers, Water bottles appear everytime you start melting water.

Pot or Recycled can is what you use next to fire source to melt snow to non pot, then boil to potable.

Just now, Willbonney said:

Pot or Recycled can is what you use next to fire source to melt snow to non pot, then boil to potable.

Yes you missunderstood me. once you boiled you water (or only melted it) then you take it, it is not stored in that can or cooking pot it goes directly in your inventory and if you drop that water it will be in a water bottle that magically appeared. if we take water from a cooking pot or can it will cause problems with the actuall system that is why i suggested the other option. wich makes more sense for the long dark to me.

I'd say you were limited to the 2L or .5 L of the pot/can you had on you on how much non potable water (in plastic) you could gather.  If you had 2 pots, it'd be 4L.  Say 8 cans, that too would be 4L.  Speed of gathering dependent on the amount gathered.

Edited to add:  similar to when you melt snow to make non pot water, you're limited by what your pot or can is capable of holding.  You'd then repeat the process if you wanted more, same as when melting snow, you just do it again.

Edited by Willbonney

I'm also not sure where you are getting this idea of "storing" the water.  Not what I mean at all.  You use the said "containers" as tools to collect the water.  You're just skipping the boil mechanic and collecting already melted non potable at the rate your pots or cans can collect.  Pots and recycled cans are tools, for cooking and/or water collection.  They aren't for storing.

I don't mind plastic bottles appearing out of nowhere because it's actually pretty similar to real life. Within a 5 second walk I have access to 24L of closed water storage. If I use other containers which are only kinda closed I must have well over 100L.

Anyways I think it would be cool to be able to get water from waterfalls, the only problem is would it actually be something useful? Currently the only use I can see is if you're just starting the game and you cannot find matches or other fire starting materials. Is that worth putting the mechanic in for? I can't see myself hauling 20L of water from a waterfall back to base just to skip the melting process when I could collect a few sticks which are all over the place anyways. Maybe if we could collect it from ice fishing holes too it might help a little.

The payoff for doing so is really small though, even in ideal circumstances. I don't think there would need to be any penalty because it doesn't or barely helps to do so. It's more of an immersion thing IMO.

Actually for newer players it might help more and it certainly makes sense. I think for them it could be worth adding it in, along with sleeping anywhere without a bedroll.

16 hours ago, odizzido said:

the only problem is would it actually be something useful?

in interlopper I often light fires but the wind can always change very quickly. With non potable water you have 50% less chance to not have boiled water. I dont think it will be particulary useful but it would be an enjoyable mechanic. 

Im only speaking for myself but can see me transporting 10L of unpotable water to my base. i always travel with 20kg in my pack and 25 if i have the 5kg or more bonus. so If i am near my house i will take unpotable water. i am shure it will be useful to other people.