Where to travel next? (Interloper)

Glflegolas

Hello folks,

I have been playing Interloper for a while, and have got to the point where I have acquired myself a full set of improvised tools, along with about 10 arrowheads. I also have a storm lantern, simple tools, heavy hammer, prybar, pot, and can opener. So, tool-wise, I am pretty well set. I don't have very good clothing (yet) however.

Now that I have my tools, what should I do next? I'm currently in Hibernia in Desolation Point. I'm slightly tempted to stay there (or in the Riken) and try to find maple and birch saplings to make a bow and arrows. While I do have a fair amount of food at the moment, I don't think cattails spawn anywhere in the region, and I'll need to either find a deer carcass or stun a couple rabbits to get myself the guts I need to make the bow. Once I have that, hunting deer at Lonely Island should be fine...

...but at the same time, maybe I'd be better off returning to Coastal Highway? There's more cattails there and I can fish to get some lamp oil.

Or maybe Mystery Lake is a better option? I haven't been there yet in this playthrough and there's generally good fishing at Camp Office.

Mountain Town is also tempting... but there's so many wolves there.

I don't know. If you were in my position, what would you do.

If Desolation Point doesn't have enough to sustain you, then moving on would be better.  Coastal Highway is the only option but from there you can move to Pleasant Valley with Thomson Crossing not too far from the transition point or go to the Ravine and then Mystery Lake, it depends on you.  Finding food and better clothing would be a good idea. Mystery Lake may be the better of the two options.

22 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

Or maybe Mystery Lake is a better option? I haven't been there yet in this playthrough and there's generally good fishing at Camp Office.

There is no reason whatsoever to go fishing this early in the game. Fishing in general isn't that great on Interloper as the fish chance is pretty low. You need a lot of fuel that can usually be better spent. You'll be fine for found lamp oil for now and there is plenty of other food around.

One thing you could have done already is work on deer carcasses. Not for food, but for the hides. You want the deer boots and pants. So that's five hides. And Mystery Lake is the easiest for that. There are more carcasses than you need around the hydro dam (including two in the Ravine and in Winding River each). Also get some bunnies for the mittens and the hat. Then there is the distress pistol at the bottom of the Ravine, which is well worth spending a day on.

The hydro dam is also great for crafting. You can sleep in the trailers and craft in the dam. There is the Ravine nearby for wolf free hunting, plus a cave for cabin fever. There are deer nearby and possibly a moose. The Camp Office works too, with the cave at Lake Overlook easily reachable.

There are certainly other options. I've also done my crafting in CH, but ML is the easiest. Plus, you really want to loot the major locations early on. Same with other easily accessible regions like PV.

I started the game in Timberwolf Mountain, but of course there's no reason not to go there again with half-decent gear.

Hushed River Valley might be a better choice as it's guaranteed to have the mackinaw jacket and the moosehide satchel, along with some other half-decent loot in the caches.

The only question is: should I get the deer hides first (Mystery Lake is supposedly good for that) or head for Hushed River Valley as soon as I find a bedroll?

@Glflegolas,

are you still in DP now?   If so, what about the two deer carcasses in the cave under the broken bridge? I sometimes find an old sleeping bag in there as well.  And what about the carcass up in Katie's clearing?  I dont play much Interloper so not sure if those spawn regularly there or not.  But if they do, that's a good start on a pair of boots or pants if you've got the time and the resources to go harvest them?  I'd say deer hides first whilst looking for that elusive bedroll.

17 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

Hushed River Valley might be a better choice as it's guaranteed to have the mackinaw jacket and the moosehide satchel, along with some other half-decent loot in the caches.

The satchel doesn't spawn in interloper.