Bear in Pilgrim mode

TarjaS

I think this is taking the "wildlife won't attack you" concept a bit too far.

[bBvideo 560,340:ag9sx41q]

[/bBvideo]

Even in Pilgrim mode, you should be punished for pure stupidity, so there should be a risk of attack here. For example, the bear notices you, you move forward a bit, it warns you, and if you won't retreat, it'll attack. That way, the attack is easy to avoid by using just a little common sense.

Before this, I had another encounter: a wolf with a fresh kill. I just walked towards it and it ran away, leaving me 8.7 kg of fresh meat. The wolf shouldn't just run away when you approach it empty handed, not even in this mode. Or if the wolf is going to just run away, this kind of scenario should be extremely rare (or maybe not exist at all) in this mode. It's just too easy.

My current thinking is that Pilgrim should be turned into a realistic mode, where wildlife usually leave you alone but for example a wolf would defend a kill or a bear might attack you 10% of the time. I'd also like to see the weather amped up a notch or two in Pilgrim, to make it more of a battle against the elements.

I think this is taking the "wildlife won't attack you" concept a bit too far.

[bBvideo 560,340:1ciwq02y]

[/bBvideo]

Even in Pilgrim mode, you should be punished for pure stupidity, so there should be a risk of attack here. For example, the bear notices you, you move forward a bit, it warns you, and if you won't retreat, it'll attack. That way, the attack is easy to avoid by using just a little common sense.

Before this, I had another encounter: a wolf with a fresh kill. I just walked towards it and it ran away, leaving me 8.7 kg of fresh meat. The wolf shouldn't just run away when you approach it empty handed, not even in this mode. Or if the wolf is going to just run away, this kind of scenario should be extremely rare (or maybe not exist at all) in this mode. It's just too easy.

That is actually how a black or some smaller brown bears would react. A grizzly would see you as a meal and would not prance off away from you but charge you and then claw the hell out of you.

My current thinking is that Pilgrim should be turned into a realistic mode, where wildlife usually leave you alone but for example a wolf would defend a kill or a bear might attack you 10% of the time. I'd also like to see the weather amped up a notch or two in Pilgrim, to make it more of a battle against the elements.

I am 100% with you on this Cosmo. I play it for a realistic wildlife behaviour, but don't want the survival aspect to be easymode.

Black bears are pretty non-aggressive. I've been quite literally 4 feet away from a black bear when camping.

They came into the camp, snuffled around looking for food, looked us over and then went to get a drink at the nearby stream.

Black bears are pretty awesome, you have to really box them in to get attacked by them.

That is actually how a black or some smaller brown bears would react. A grizzly would see you as a meal and would not prance off away from you but charge you and then claw the hell out of you.

I have not run into the bears yet. What type is the game trying to portray?

Not really, both species of bears might choose to do either. It really depends on the individual bear and the way they perceive you. Predatory behaviour towards humans can be displayed by both black bears and grizzlies, though it is really rare. Far more bear encounters occur when bears are defensive--either defending cubs, food, territory or just startled.

To be fair, grizzlies do make me more nervous when I'm in the woods, but part of that is the unknown factor since I encounter them far less.

Anyway, way off topic I guess....suffice to say Pilgrim is easy mode, but I can see what OP is saying-- if you poke the bear....

• 1 month later...

Not really, both species of bears might choose to do either. It really depends on the individual bear and the way they perceive you. Predatory behaviour towards humans can be displayed by both black bears and grizzlies, though it is really rare. Far more bear encounters occur when bears are defensive--either defending cubs, food, territory or just startled.

To be fair, grizzlies do make me more nervous when I'm in the woods, but part of that is the unknown factor since I encounter them far less.

Anyway, way off topic I guess....suffice to say Pilgrim is easy mode, but I can see what OP is saying-- if you poke the bear....

I don't regularly encounter bears but from what Im told in order of Polar Grizzly brown black bears, the most to least aggressively are respectively listed. Of course an animal in fear, rabid, or protecting its cubs will violently and with rage attack even another dangerous predator sometimes fight to the death but otherwise black bears are pretty docile, brown bears much the same but they are larger and more of a predator scavenger, grizzly bears will fight off other bears for resources or mix it up. Bottomline... ___ lol, you never know what a wild animal is going to do because they act on instinct rather than past experience and scientific method. If they are hungry and you smell and look like you might be an easy or medium easy dinner they are going to make trouble for you. If you look like an space alien holding a death ray to them they will flee.

Beware the grolar/prizzly! :)

Fascinating hybrids, both beautiful and rare. They (among some other examples) show how difficult defining a species may be in some cases. (Grolars seem to be able to have viable and fertile offspring with both icebears and brown bears).

I went to the Osnabrück Zoo to watch two ice bear/European brown bear hybrids a few years ago (they bred the "bricebears" accidentally in 2004 as the kept a male polar bear and a female brown bear in the same enclosure, not knowing they could have offspring).

Here's a picture of the Osnabrück bears. From left to right: Aunt Ossi (brown bear), Taps (hybrid), Tips (hybrid) and the mother of the bricebear twins, brown bear Susi. ;)

2ljs27n.jpg

Archived