Metal arrow shafts

acada

I have noticed that some beds or bunks can have slim metal pipes in the bed head or foot. Could we harvest it?

The result would be metal arrow shaft. It could be more durable, probably heavier which can mean higher bow decay and higher bleeding chance.

I have limited experience with archery. Maybe it would be like shooting crowbar from bow. But maybe it could work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 8:37 AM, acada said:

I have noticed that some beds or bunks can have slim metal pipes in the bed head or foot. Could we harvest it?

The result would be metal arrow shaft. It could be more durable, probably heavier which can mean higher bow decay and higher bleeding chance.

I have limited experience with archery. Maybe it would be like shooting crowbar from bow. But maybe it could work.

yes it could work but it would depends on the wight of the metal i dont really see something that is enoughly small to fit BUT we could harvest bigger pipes and use the machines in bleak inlet to make multiple smaller shafts for the arrow. the devs said they wanted the add more use to the cannery so there is one. in interlopper there is literrally no use to get to bleak inlet its only purpose is for making bullets so that would make it interesting

A lot depends on how simplified the devs will make such an implementation.  We do not need primers for reloaded ammunition so by fiat the devs can say that when we "forge" at the Riken, Old Spence or Broken Railroad, we are "making something entirely new".  Pipes for purposes such as conveying water or as electrical conduits would almost certainly be too heavy and too big to be useful as arrow shafts.  It would also require that a new item be added to the landscape, a way to salvage it, and a way to incorprate it into an arrow as well as consideration of how it should perform.  Sounds like a lot of work that the devs may not have right now. 

Just now, UTC-10 said:

A lot depends on how simplified the devs will make such an implementation.  We do not need primers for reloaded ammunition so by fiat the devs can say that when we "forge" at the Riken, Old Spence or Broken Railroad, we are "making something entirely new".  Pipes for purposes such as conveying water or as electrical conduits would almost certainly be too heavy and too big to be useful as arrow shafts.  It would also require that a new item be added to the landscape, a way to salvage it, and a way to incorprate it into an arrow as well as consideration of how it should perform.  Sounds like a lot of work that the devs may not have right now. 

i understand but what if you only need a hacksaw and the tools in the cannery? you use your saw to cut some small metal pipes for example a big lamp (the ones we often see in houses that hold on some little pipe)  then you take em to the cannery and transform em into even smaller pipes and they become shafts. you would need the cannery to assemble the arrow after that. and this is without talking about the interest in interlopper. you litterally neveeer need to get to BI in interlopper this is extremely dangerous for a few houses a broken lighthouse.beign able to make more resistant arrows would be soo nice

Edited by oplli

As I have sometimes said, what the devs' decide by fiat will determine what and how something will work.  Personally, I do not see a practical way to take a pipe of any material and thin it and make it light enough to do what is being asked for, but I am not a machinist.  They might make it easier by allowing scrap metal to be forged at one of the three forges into rough arrow shafts and the drill press in Bleak Inlet needed to refine the rough shafts and craft the new arrow type. 

However, I didn't think the devs would implement ammunition reloading where the cast bullets would be generic one bullet fits two different calibers and cartridge types, and there would be no need for primers. That was a surprise.  I had thought that would be two parts - a tools set and a component set, both of which would be drops - but they went even simpler. 

If metal shafts for arrows became a thing, I would not object even if I found them too difficult or time consuming to craft.