continuing my quest for syrup, what would you do?

piddy3825

I really want to be as thorough as I can be in my quest for syrup and explore as much in the world as possible before the weather or wildlife do me in, but...

From what folks have posted, it sounds like some spots may not be worth the effort?  So is climbing the summit at TWM a silly notion?  What about the coal mine in CH, I'd have to wait for an aurora to get down in there.  And HRV, not my best map, I'm kinda reluctant to go there fully equipped in good weather, lol.    I'm trying to map a logical route  that will allow me to maximize the search without having to do any backtracking.  I see excursions into HRV and TWM  as riskier side quests since there's only one way in and one way out.  I do feel more comfortable tackling TWM for certain.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions on any strategies you may be willing to share.  Thanks for reading!

I was honestly wondering about HRV .  I was currently exploring it when last I played.  But I don't have high hopes and I'm not sure I'm gonna find anything at the signal fire or down in the valley.  Honestly getting bored of this might just bail on the whole idea.

1 hour ago, J80H said:

I was honestly wondering about HRV .  I was currently exploring it when last I played.  But I don't have high hopes and I'm not sure I'm gonna find anything at the signal fire or down in the valley.  Honestly getting bored of this might just bail on the whole idea.

From what I heard, a player had made it all the way to the signal fire only to find the satchel, was not there.  That alone is a good enough reason for me to avoid the place.  That being said, I'm still having fun playing this event.

I actually did get to signal fire, to find maple syrup and the satchel too! The signal fire spawned at the top of the map and not the lower right part, not sure if that means anything about the loot. 

18 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I really want to be as thorough as I can be in my quest for syrup and explore as much in the world as possible before the weather or wildlife do me in, but...

From what folks have posted, it sounds like some spots may not be worth the effort?  So is climbing the summit at TWM a silly notion?  What about the coal mine in CH, I'd have to wait for an aurora to get down in there.  And HRV, not my best map, I'm kinda reluctant to go there fully equipped in good weather, lol.    I'm trying to map a logical route  that will allow me to maximize the search without having to do any backtracking.  I see excursions into HRV and TWM  as riskier side quests since there's only one way in and one way out.  I do feel more comfortable tackling TWM for certain.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions on any strategies you may be willing to share.  Thanks for reading!

Honestly, the best way to play this mode is to "Find good Clothing, Eat what you find that is good quality food, find coffee, run to HOT SPOTS to search for syrup. Drink coffee to keep your energy up, run to the next spot. NEVER STOP MOVING unless you need to sleep. 

no need to hunt, no need to craft.

I carry a crowbar & Lantern, a pistol, bullets, good clothing, lantern fuel, fire starting stuff, coffee, chips, syrup. a hatchet for defending.  Thats it. stay light, run, syrup. :) REPEAT with as many characters as needed to find syrup. 

I've been having a lot of crashes lately with the game freezing on loading screen when exiting/entering buildings (reported and hotfix apparently on it's way, although not resolved in the latest one).

Anyway, last time this happened I'd just entered and looted the community centre, finding some syrup in the kitchen.  Crashed as I went to leave, so rebooted and relooted.  As far as I can tell, all the loot was the same, but this time no syrup.

Thought worth mentioning as may give an insight into how the syrup spawn mechanism works, may even be a tactic to search then reload without saving at a given location, to see if there is a variable chance of syrup appearing?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I've been having a lot of crashes lately with the game freezing on loading screen when exiting/entering buildings (reported and hotfix apparently on it's way, although not resolved in the latest one).

Anyway, last time this happened I'd just entered and looted the community centre, finding some syrup in the kitchen.  Crashed as I went to leave, so rebooted and relooted.  As far as I can tell, all the loot was the same, but this time no syrup.

Thought worth mentioning as may give an insight into how the syrup spawn mechanism works, may even be a tactic to search then reload without saving at a given location, to see if there is a variable chance of syrup appearing?

just for clarity in case anyone else is having similar issues, in my preceding post I was referring to hotfix v1.80, I posted before 1.81.  Looking at the changelist for 1.81 it looks like there's a couple of things that might address my crashes, fingers crossed!