Small additions (lantern, binocs, scarves, soda caffeine, more birds?)

Soybean Lumberjack

I have jotted down a few small changes over the years that I think might improve game play. These changes fit within the base game and I don't think they would be complicated to integrate.

1. The ability to remove fuel from the lantern. In case you have multiple lanterns and want to fuel up one, or want to harvest the oil for fire-making.

2. Scarf as both headgear and accessory. I personally think it makes sense that you would be able to wear two hats and two scarves.

3. Binoculars/Scope for rifle. It would be nice to have a way to view areas from a distance if you are at a vantage point. Could be very useful in spotting potential loot sources or dangerous wildlife.

4. Summit Soda as a caffeine source. I think there should be a soda with caffeine that gives you the fatigue bonus of coffee

5. Adding owls and woodpeckers. I know this one is a stretch but the audio for them is already in the game and crows exist in the game. Spotting or hearing an owl could help lead you to a rabbit source. Spotting or hearing a woodpecker could indicate a good source of downed tree limbs and branches. It would also add to the game experience by incorporating a bit more diversity into Great Bear's ecosystem.

I think these ideas are additions that fit well within the game. They make sense compared to the real world (mostly) and help improve survival without taking away from the overall LD experience.

Let me know what you think!

• Upvote 2

+1

Quick question though; are you wanting the scope to already come with the rifle, or do you want to find it separate? Because if you find the scope separate (assuming the Lee Einfield is anything like my Kar98K) you’ll need some serious equipment such as welding tools in order to “attach” the scope. 

On 7/4/2020 at 2:48 AM, Soybean Lumberjack said:

1. The ability to remove fuel from the lantern. In case you have multiple lanterns and want to fuel up one, or want to harvest the oil for fire-making.

Yes. Completely agree on siphoning fuel.

2. Scarf as both headgear and accessory. I personally think it makes sense that you would be able to wear two hats and two scarves

Not sure about this. I think it opens it up to 'why not have more than 2 layers to everywhere else' which wouldn't work as a game mechanic. We also already have the wool ear wrap

3. Binoculars/Scope for rifle. It would be nice to have a way to view areas from a distance if you are at a vantage point. Could be very useful in spotting potential loot sources or dangerous wildlife.

Bino's yes, scope not so sure. I think a scope would make hunting too easy, or easier to snipe from a distance, unless it has a mechanic that causes accuracy loss.

4. Summit Soda as a caffeine source. I think there should be a soda with caffeine that gives you the fatigue bonus of coffee

Yes. I don't think it should be as strong or as long lasting as coffee though.

5. Adding owls and woodpeckers.

Hoot hoots are already in, come out at night of course. Generally players don't normally hunt at night for various reasons, but an idea if they were to add mice/rats/small mammals that owls hunt. Woodpeckers would be nice I think, although I've heard some noises that I'm not sure of, and could be woodpeckers? Of course, if they are woodpeckers, they don't indicate lumber locations.

Edited by Maniac

On 7/3/2020 at 8:42 PM, ROMOBOY3 said:

+1

Quick question though; are you wanting the scope to already come with the rifle, or do you want to find it separate? Because if you find the scope separate (assuming the Lee Einfield is anything like my Kar98K) you’ll need some serious equipment such as welding tools in order to “attach” the scope. 

I can’t remember exactly, but I’m pretty sure that Raph stayed that it would be to hard to add binoculars or scopes in one of the Milton mailbags. I also agree with romoboy about the wielding tools. Older guns like that don’t have places to attach the scope, and given the aurora situation, wielders probably won’t work.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:48 PM, Soybean Lumberjack said:

Sadly since 2010 they have been allowed to add caffeine to non dark pop so this could be a thing :( I don't know how popular that is though, everyone here over eight years old grew up with non-caffinated pop. I tried pop in the states and yuck, I don't like the taste of the caffeine. Next time I am shopping(maybe in six months?) I will have to see how many actually have it added in now.