What's Cooking in your 2 liter pot?

piddy3825

let me preface this post by saying I love to cook and bake.  I musta been a cook or baker in a previous life 'cause irl I'm able to take a handful of ingredients and usually can make something delicious!  I've gotten a lot of practice in the kitchen these past few months be quarantined and all, lol.  That being said, I was looking around my pantry the other day and had to chuckle as I realized that many of the items I had in stock were similar to what was in the game...  Even my dutch oven cooking pot looked similar to the 2 liter pot in the game. 

so that got me to thinking...  Cracker Crust Peach Pie
total prep time 15 min
total cook time 40 min - varies depending on altitude

Ingredients:

can of peaches
can of condensed milk
box of saltine crackers
1 cup herbal tea
1 granola bar
1 chocolate bar

in a pot, break up saltines into small crumbs.  Combine a little of the syrup from the can of peaches with the herbal tea and moisten the cracker crumbs.   Add the tea mixture and knead until a doughy consistency is reached.  spread evenly along the bottom of a pot and approximately 1/3 of the way up the side of the pot.  place on moderately hot cooking surface and let "bake" into a pie shell.  When it looks done, firm but not yet crispy, immediately remove from the heat and set aside.  Drain the remaining syrup from the peaches and pour into another pot.  Add the can of condensed milk to the syrup and over medium heat, slowly bring the mixture to a  low boil while stirring frequently.  Continue cooking the mixture until it reduces to a pudding like consistency.  In the mean time, take the well drained peach slices and arrange them evenly in the pot containing your now cooled cracker crust.  while your sauce is reducing and getting thicker, break up the granola bar into small morsels and chop the chocolate bar in to small chips.

When your sauce has reduced enough and has reached a pudding like consistency, pour directly into the pot containing the crust and slice peaches.  Immediately top with granola and chocolate shavings.  Cover and let sit til cool.  With the fire still going, now's the time to make some fresh coffee or a nice cuppa tea!  Once the pie has cooled Enjoy!

Makes 6 servings

Better-Than-Pioneer-Woman-Dutch-Oven-Peach-Cobbler-600x418.jpg.1aae598b65d344e2ea026abe17edd892.jpg

Looking forward to trading some recipes.  Join me next time when I make orange glazed bear kabobs!

Do you have an apocalyptic recipe that you'd like to share?  Would love hearing about it if you'd like to share.  Thanks for reading!

• Upvote 4

You could probably improvise a slow cooker using a pot, something to cover it, tomato soup, and a cut of raw meat.  You wouldn't want to put it directly on the cook surface, it would need to be a little off to the side so it gets hot but not TOO hot.  You want to cook it low and slow all day long.   Then immediately prior to serving, sautee some chopped cattail shoots in fish oil.  Serve a chunk of pot roast, the cat tails, drizzle some of that tomato soup/meat juice on top, and add a side of beans.

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

You could probably improvise a slow cooker using a pot, something to cover it, tomato soup, and a cut of raw meat.  You wouldn't want to put it directly on the cook surface, it would need to be a little off to the side so it gets hot but not TOO hot.  You want to cook it low and slow all day long.   Then immediately prior to serving, sautee some chopped cattail shoots in fish oil.  Serve a chunk of pot roast, the cat tails, drizzle some of that tomato soup/meat juice on top, and add a side of beans.

Yeah, I think your onto something here.  Maybe flip another pot over and use as a domed lid? 
so your dish, is it kinda like a pulled pork dish except its a big chunk of bear meat or moose chunk that is slowly simmering for hours in a tasty tomato sauce?  maybe crack that can of pork n beans in there and make a chili of sorts?  Love the idea of cattail shoots prepared in fish oil.  So are the cattail shoots soft then or kinda crunchy like a water chestnut?  Some crackers would be good with this meal.  make little crispy sandwiches,  yum!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

So are the cattail shoots soft then or kinda crunchy like a water chestnut?

Describing food is hard... Raw it's like a combination of a potato with the woodiness of a broccoli stalk.  The starches chew out pretty easily, but then you're left with fibers in your mouth that don't break down so well.  And like an onion, usually the outer layers are inedible.  You have to get at the softer stuff inside.  Cooked it softens up and becomes more easily chewable, and it helps mitigate that moldy cucumber taste.

And on top of all that there's like a million varieties of cat tail, so your mileage may vary.  Greatly.

The Wolf Blanquette :

• 1 Kg Wolf meat
  • 6 Cattails
  • 1 Crushed Birch bark
  • 10 Ml of fish oil
  • 2 Cup of Rosehip tea
  • 1 Oz Salty crakers

Cover the meat with water, bring to a simmer. Rince the meat with cold water.

Heat the pot, return the meat into it with the oil, the cattails, the crushed birch bark and the crakers.

Cook on high heat while steering for 5 minutes

Cover partially with water and the 2 cup of Rosehip Tea, simmer over moderate heat until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Tip: Let it one full day and heat gently before serving.

Edited by JMK

18 minutes ago, JMK said:

The Wolf Blanquette :

• 1 Kg Wolf meat
  • 6 Cattails
  • 1 Crushed Birch bark
  • 10 Ml of fish oil
  • 2 Cup of Rosehip tea
  • 1 Oz Salty crakers

Cover the meat with water, bring to a simmer. Rince the meat with cold water.

Heat the pot, return the meat into it with the oil, the cattails, the crushed birch bark and the crakers.

Cook on high heat while steering for 5 minutes

Cover partially with water and the 2 cup of Rosehip Tea, simmer over moderate heat until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Tip: Let it one full day and heat gently before serving.

Hmmm, sounds delicious!  I bet the rosehip tea infuses the meat with a nice flavor!  Time for all us survivors to meet up at the old town hall in PV and have ourselves a little banquet, eh?  I will be bringing the dessert!

• Upvote 1

Oh god, I went and created a full formal ten course meal. Only the lack of cheese or salad items prevents me bumping this up more.

Hors-d oeuvre: Smoked Salmon Canapés

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-1.jpg.a74ca46697121ff05df8cfc452bca2a0.jpg

Ingredients:

• Coho salmon
  • Salty crackers

Smoke the salmon over a bed of birch bark, green pine needles and charcoal. Once completely cured, drop salmon in snow overnight, then shave thin slices using improvised knife at workbench. Serve on crackers and garnish as desired.

Potage: Stewed Beef and Pork Bean Potage

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-2.jpg.40a9920a218d9341b67921014820bf74.jpg

Ingredients:

• Beef jerky
  • Pork and beans

Soak the beef jerky in potable water to rehydrate overnight, then mix with pork and beans and heat over coals in a recycled can. Serve warm.

Poisson: Oat Crusted Whitefish

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-3.jpg.7384cab31e4097aa6af6c3972e81d16b.jpg

Ingredients:

• Lake whitefish
  • Granola bar

Crumble the granola bar and roll lake whitefish in mixture. Cook on flat stone over fire to ensure even browning of oats. Serve directly from stone.

Entrée: Rabbit Satay Skewers

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-4.thumb.jpg.398341225a045597042e6cffed4fb9fa.jpg

Ingredients:

• Rabbit meat
  • Peanut butter

Thread thin slices of rabbit meat onto sticks, then roast over open flame. Mix peanut butter with potable water to create satay sauce for dipping. Serve warm.

Sorbet: Rose Sorbet

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-5.jpg.a56942f02078183271e62adb12d0b521.jpg

Ingredients:

• Rose hip tea
  • Summit soda

Mix summit soda and cold tea in a 2:1 ratio and allow to freeze outside. Scoop into balls and serve between entrée and releves.

Relevés : Wolf Côtelettes with Sticky Coffee Glaze

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-6.jpg.3ae4a432bfd867469ececfdd58784079.jpg

Ingredients:

• Wolf meat
  • GO! Energy drink
  • Tin of coffee

Roast wolf chops over open flame to infuse with smoky flavour until browned, basting with a mixture of energy drink and coffee from a recycled can to add a sweet but bitter flavour and a racing heart reminiscent of that felt when hearing a wolf's bark.

Roti: Loin of Venison with Orange Sauce

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-7.thumb.jpg.687ca724a0bcae7d57ab9c5415885fc9.jpg

Ingredients:

• Deer meat
  • Orange soda

Roast the deer meat in coals at low temperatures to avoid drying meat, and prepare a reduction of orange soda by slowly simmering liquid at low heat until it turns into a thick syrup. Carve and serve topped with sauce.

Entremets: Chocolate Fudge

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-8.thumb.jpg.46b0a1cd49a7d275ea6c3468dca31699.jpg

Ingredients:

• Condensed milk
  • Candy bar

Melt candy bar and strain to remove nuts. Mix with condensed milk, simmer in pot on low heat over coals, then place in snow and allow to cool and set. Slice with knife and serve as a sweet palate cleanser before the end of the meal.

Savoureux : Sardine Pan con Tomate

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-9.jpg.076f5de5a565017f1684a4756a6d08ff.jpg

Ingredients:

• Tin of sardines
  • Tomato soup
  • Salty crackers

Serve sardine fillet on cracker spread with tomato soup as a savoury, salty palate cleanser between sweet dishes.

Dessert : Chocolate Mousse with Peaches

23476901631_4c841b46b1_z-10.jpg.38caa73f7707ae06b5ca9f0e62d239fc.jpg

Ingredients:

• Condensed milk
  • Candy bar
  • Tinned peaches

Whip melted chocolate and condensed milk with small amounts of potable water until they form a bubbly texture. Serve with a side of peaches and shaved chocolate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Oh god, I went and created a full formal ten course meal.

Damn, Jimmy!

I love what you've prepared here!  So looking forward to dining at your table!

I am taking off my crown and crowning you as the new Frozen Gourmet!   

I would have never thought of using beef jerky in that way, simply genius. 

• Upvote 1